DirecTV Announces Next 24 Markets to Receive HD Locals!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
ScoBuck said:
Actually, last week on the Merrill Lynch conference call, DirecTV announced that they have INCREASED the number of HD local markets that will be lit before end of December - the number now appears to be 59 total markets (attached is link to the conference call collateral materials).

http://library.corporate-ir.net/library/12/127/127160/items/212073/MerrillLynch91206.pdf

What they didn't do (and rather wisely I would add) is state exact markets/exact dates as charper1 is right on when he comments on the trolls that go bananas when a date is not exactly met (and always blaming D*, even when they DON'T know ANY of the reasons for the delays/changes). A good example is Grand Rapids, which was announced and seems not to have been lit. People blaming DirecTV, when it is reported that VARIOUS providers are having identical issues with those local affiliate stations.

Worse is that some of these same people make these remarks when they aren't even affected (when its NOT their market affected), just to stir up everyone else.

charper1, you are on to something, for sure.

All that you have written is true. Here in CT we have only two of the four networks in hd from D*. The Fox and ABC local apparently will not negotiate in good faith, so the customer suffers. I do not blame D* though. LIN owns the ABC station. There is only one cable company in CT that has them in hd. That should tell you something.

Questioner said:
I never said some cities didn't already have some channels up....my comment was for those who are still waiting to have any hd locals at all.

Green Bay is no longer listed at all.

Grand Rapids is not listed anymore either.

Seems to me that if DirecTV listed cities to begin offering HD lils, then that is their true intent - I would have to assume that if there are changes, delays, etc. that they would almost have to be resulting from the challenges of dealing with the local station owners, with them wanting 'more' than standard rights fees. Because of the various 'local' issues that work to delay launches (many are NOT D* related), it truly makes more sense for them to hold back specific markets and dates, I also would be upset if I expected them and was pushed back. Lesson learned I gather.

After negotiating with station owners in over 35 markets, I would believe that there have to be certain parameters that exist for carriage agreements - and that possibly some 'greedy' ownerships want more.

Also, looks like the HD lil rollout will be starting to get more agressive, as I noted they are talking about adding 20 more in the next 3 months.

Also, latest listing of the launch date for DIRECTV 9S is October 12.

Grand Rapids is delayed due to "not enough agreements in place".

Translation: "WWMT is holding their HD signal hostage yet again".

bonscott87 said:
Grand Rapids is delayed due to "not enough agreements in place".

Translation: "WWMT is holding their HD signal hostage yet again".

Are they owned by LIN? That would explain it!

raoul5788 said:
Are they owned by LIN? That would explain it!

Nope... Freedom Broadcasting of Michigan is the owner. WWMT has held out of allowing any cable or sattellite company to broadcast their HD signal. They just allowed comcast, and charter the right, so D* should be right around the corner.

joedekock said:
Nope... Freedom Broadcasting of Michigan is the owner. WWMT has held out of allowing any cable or sattellite company to broadcast their HD signal. They just allowed comcast, and charter the right, so D* should be right around the corner.

I hope so, but do not count on it. LIN owns WTNH here in CT. Comcast is the only cable company in the state that has their hd signal. D* does not have it, either.

What about Virginia?!?!

I have watched my neighbors bounce back and forth from D, E, and Cable for a few years. I want to make a jump to D, but am wondering if I should wait for the upgrade for my area, the bugs to be fixed with the H20-700s, and a great deal offering from D?!? So when will eastern VA be up?

Jus joined the forum and looking for help....moved to Greenville Spartanburg area in April 2006. When I "moved" my service I asked that they go ahead and install the 5 LNB dish, which they did not do...as they stated it was not available in my area.

Last week, they came and upgraded my dish and my DVR.

What does this mean...HD locals coming soon? I am new to this, so any help would be appreciated.

wolfgame said:
Jus joined the forum and looking for help....moved to Greenville Spartanburg area in April 2006. When I "moved" my service I asked that they go ahead and install the 5 LNB dish, which they did not do...as they stated it was not available in my area.

Last week, they came and upgraded my dish and my DVR.

What does this mean...HD locals coming soon? I am new to this, so any help would be appreciated.

Are you in Greenville, Michigan?

Austin is up? What channels?

Edit: looks like 7, 24 and 42, Fox, ABC and CBS. No NBC...or CW.

KXAN (NBC) owns KNVA (CW) so maybe those will be a package deal.

Last edited:
Fat Chance

chris_fowler99 said:
Austin is up? What channels?

Edit: looks like 7, 24 and 42, Fox, ABC and CBS. No NBC...or CW.

KXAN (NBC) owns KNVA (CW) so maybe those will be a package deal.

KXAN/ CW is a LIN package - according to prior posts LIN won't play ball with D*

bjoe said:
KXAN/ CW is a LIN package - according to prior posts LIN won't play ball with D*

LIN won't play ball with anyone except Comcast, as far as I can tell.

Also it's reported over at DBSTalk that Cincinnati HD locals also came on today, along with Austin.

So today D* lights up at least two new HD LIL markets and adds Comcast Sportsnet Chicago HD feed and it doesn't make it as a news item but E* comes out with a new switch and it gets a headline on the front page. Hate to say it, but the other site has a lot more D* news and info as of late.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)