DIRECTV CEO Mike White: 4K Rollout Will Be ‘Complex’

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The problem is getting consumers to purchase the 4k/UHD sets. Right now the price point is way out of the reach for the mass majority. As for providers sending out the feed, it is no more complex then they currently have. They are really just swapping out the current encoders for the newer ones. Now on the plus side, the algorithm used by the newer encoders gets rid of a lot of pixel problems during fast motion, along with a cleaner picture.

Exactly, I just finished upgrading all my tv's and don't plan on purchasing again for 4K unless one happens to fail and need replacement and the price is within reason

I will upgrade when prices fall to more of a friendly rate. Watching live events in 4k will be very exciting.
I compare hd as looking through a window and 4k as you are really there.
Yes. There is a big difference. :)

The prices will fall when they start hitting better economies of scale. The more mainstream and mass produced these sets become the cheaper they will be. They won't become mainstream until cable and satellite companies start providing content in 4K resolution. People aren't going to pay thousands of dollars for a TV to upscale 1080i content. That's like buying a 1080p tv and only watching 480i content on it. At the same time, cable and satellite aren't going to start a big push for 4K content until people actually have TV sets that can take advantage of it.

It's a strange cycle and one side needs to give in before it will take off. The TVs won't be in most people's houses until 4K content is widely available and the content won't be widely available until more people have 4K TVs.

The prices will fall when they start hitting better economies of scale. The more mainstream and mass produced these sets become the cheaper they will be. They won't become mainstream until cable and satellite companies start providing content in 4K resolution. People aren't going to pay thousands of dollars for a TV to upscale 1080i content. That's like buying a 1080p tv and only watching 480i content on it. At the same time, cable and satellite aren't going to start a big push for 4K content until people actually have TV sets that can take advantage of it.

It's a strange cycle and one side needs to give in before it will take off. The TVs won't be in most people's houses until 4K content is widely available and the content won't be widely available until more people have 4K TVs.

Nice Circle !!!

The problem is getting consumers to purchase the 4k/UHD sets. Right now the price point is way out of the reach for the mass majority. As for providers sending out the feed, it is no more complex then they currently have. They are really just swapping out the current encoders for the newer ones. Now on the plus side, the algorithm used by the newer encoders gets rid of a lot of pixel problems during fast motion, along with a cleaner picture.
4K ?
Sending out 4K ???

We don't even have providers sending out 1080P yet.

4K tv's will drop fast, because its already established LCD tech. There is a reason the OLED's are 1080p right now, and expensive. By late 2014/ early 2015, you'll be able to get a 4K LED LCD display for nice prices.

4K ?
Sending out 4K ???

We don't even have providers sending out 1080P yet.
4k is actually available for viewing, through Netflix as we speak. It is limited content, but it is there. As for 1080p, same with Netflix, Vudu and other Internet streaming providers. Yes Direct has 1080p for OnDemand only, but it is also currently available.

4K tv's will drop fast, because its already established LCD tech. There is a reason the OLED's are 1080p right now, and expensive. By late 2014/ early 2015, you'll be able to get a 4K LED LCD display for nice prices.
They stated the same thing about 3D tech, and look at where that got us. The prices are not going to drop as fast as you think they are, for 4k capable sets.

Providers are talking 4k not even being mainstream until somewhere around 2020.

I say at least 5 years before you see any marketable programming. And more like 10 for the networks, whatever shape they will be in by then.

I say at least 5 years before you see any marketable programming. And more like 10 for the networks, whatever shape they will be in by then.

Actually alot sooner than that... Movies are already shot in 4K. The Hobbit is an example. The technical challenge will be getting 4k on to a transponders at an economical level. Right now with the current standards that are being developed, I think you could get roughly 2 1/2 channels onto a transponder. That's alot of space taken up by 4k. Unless you have some way of fusing transponders together! :D. 4K is going to be like HD all over. It's going to require new boxes.

Actually alot sooner than that... Movies are already shot in 4K. The Hobbit is an example. The technical challenge will be getting 4k on to a transponders at an economical level. Right now with the current standards that are being developed, I think you could get roughly 2 1/2 channels onto a transponder. That's alot of space taken up by 4k. Unless you have some way of fusing transponders together! :D. 4K is going to be like HD all over. It's going to require new boxes.
The encoders are already starting to be available out in the market, but nothing like they will be in five years. Yes it will be like providers starting up with HD again, but more like 3D.

If I had to make an educated guess, providers will do like they did to 3D. Make 4k programming a luxary, if you want it in your home.

They stated the same thing about 3D tech, and look at where that got us. The prices are not going to drop as fast as you think they are, for 4k capable sets.

Providers are talking 4k not even being mainstream until somewhere around 2020.

Have you been actually watching prices, I think not? 4K large screen sets are not that pricey this year, its not like when plasma was getting going and a 42" was $3000. Panasonics new 4K LCD is only $5499 MSRP, and Sony's 65" XBR 4K display is the same. Considering those two facts, prices will be down late 2014/ early 2015.

And what does 3D have to do with anything? 3D sets had a premium the first year, then it was built into everything and the prices were not a big deal. The problem with LCD is you are dealing with an inflated price from the get go. I see 4K as 3D, and it will be built into most mid to higher end LCD's with a short time, and pricing wont be bad in 2 years. By bad I mean 65" 4K tv (of good quality) for $3500. Now if you think $3500 is bad, then sure, the pricing wont be great. For me, a 60-70" premium tv, I expect the msrp to be around $3500-$4500.

As with 3D, dont blink too long because 4K will be built into everything like 1080p. It took about 3 years for 3D to be everywhere and inexpensive. You will also start seeing native 4K optical/downloads and players that can play the 4K formats. Sure, Directv for example willstill have to be scaled to 4K, but we do that now with 1080p. The big deal will be when you have a native 4K display, a 4K player and 4K content. As a movie fan, I cant wait. For Directv, I dont really care right now.

Last edited:
Yeah. Prices with low end companies will start sub 3k for 60"-65" 4k. Some will be out late this year early next. This will force high ends to drop even faster. Look for glassless 3D to take a leap forward too with 4k panels.

It will probably take 5-10 years before 4K becomes really popular and most major providers start offering a lot of the 4K feeds just as they do 720/1080 today. By that time we will be hearing about 8K and the providers will wonder whether they should go ahead and adopt 4K or wait for 8K.

gadgetfreak, still those prices are out of the reach for the mass majority. Until prices get to the $1500's or below $1000, 4k will be seen as a luxury item for the masses, just like 3D. For granted, 4k & 3D now come commonplace with a lot of Blu-Ray players, such as the PS4, Xbox One will have, and like the Sony BDP-S790, OPPO BDP-103/d & 105, and a few others.

It will probably take 5-10 years before 4K becomes really popular and most major providers start offering a lot of the 4K feeds just as they do 720/1080 today. By that time we will be hearing about 8K and the providers will wonder whether they should go ahead and adopt 4K or wait for 8K.
8K is farther off then 4K is. 4K is happening how, but just not available through Direct or CATV. Google Fiber is capable of doing it on their network, because they built for the future. Everyone else is having to ramp up their infrastructure builds, to be ready for the new encoders, so that they do not continue to take away from the Internet Side on their systems.

I would not doubt that Google has already implemented the newer encoders into their infrastructure, for delivery of 4k, when the programming is out there. Problem is, are the boxes that the customer is using capable of being ready, when the time comes.

That would be due to the economy is still in the can, and people are still losing their jobs, so they are not buying stuff. Until people get disposable income again, to purchase electronics, etc., we are going to see stories like this.

My wife's company just announced another round of layoffs at all locations. They deal with corporate jets, and right now have more work in the shops, then they have people to work on all of the jets, because the company is still cutting labor force. We really are going to see the majority just using their things like tv's, until they die, vs. the small minority that likes to upgrade every time some new piece of gear is released out to the wild.

I myself have upgraded our Blu-Ray player twice, gave the old one to a friend of ours for their daughter to use in her bedroom. Before that had a upscaling DVD player, that we gave to my wife's grandmother. Both of those are still going strong. We are going six years on our Panasonic TH-42PX75u Plasma, with no problems showing up on it. The sucker is still going strong. We will not be replacing that until it dies, or find a good deal on a 55 or 60" LCD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts