DIRECTV CEO Mike White: 4K Rollout Will Be ‘Complex’

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's got to scale. It's a fixed pixel display. Or it will be picture framed.

Hmmm, that would make sense,, if you watch something on a 1080p panel, it upconverts to 1080p ...

So if I watch the local news or something like that, it's gonna show it in 4k ?

I don't think the local cable company could handle that.

Hmmm, that would make sense,, if you watch something on a 1080p panel, it upconverts to 1080p ...

So if I watch the local news or something like that, it's gonna show it in 4k ?

I don't think the local cable company could handle that.
The larger monopolies will have no problem. It is going to be the small Mom& Pop's, that can not afford the scalers, that will leave their customers behind.

There is not enough 4K content and probably won't be for a while to make it worthwhile. There will be more 4K televisions out there than content for a while. I can see 2K being offered before 4K by providers to save on bandwidth.

There was an article published this past weekend, that we have surpassed the resolution that our eyes can perceive.

There was an article published this past weekend, that we have surpassed the resolution that our eyes can perceive.

That's my argument about this whole thing... at what point do you consider the resolution to be pretty much as good as looking through a window, and working on refining it... I'm thinking 4k is it, and might even be a slight bit overboard.

Where any real innovation will probably come is in the backlighting -- most of the new 4k set's I've seen look quite "harsh" (probably because their set on retail mode), and "cinema" settings look way too warm. Would be great to have adaptable backlighting that actually works (and doesn't do the "fading" thing that a lot of sets tend to do).

So far I have not been able to see regular programming when out at the local Retail shops, I have seen the Samsung at BB most recently, looks real nice, but your looking at THIER demo.

I want to see it on for a football game or a TV show that I watch ...

The retail places are saying that it upconverts 1080 to 4k, but I don't think so.

I think I'll go by my friends place that have a Sony 4k available to play with and put everyday TV on it for a bit ... (They are a Hi End A/V store, not a Box store.)

So far I have not been able to see regular programming when out at the local Retail shops, I have seen the Samsung at BB most recently, looks real nice, but your looking at THIER demo.

I want to see it on for a football game or a TV show that I watch ...

The retail places are saying that it upconverts 1080 to 4k, but I don't think so.

I think I'll go by my friends place that have a Sony 4k available to play with and put everyday TV on it for a bit ... (They are a Hi End A/V store, not a Box store.)

Well it has to scale 1080p/1080i/720p to 4K or it wouldn't fit the screen. 4K is about 4 times the resolution of 1080p. If they didn't up scale that would mean picture using 1920x1080 resolution would only be able to fill a quarter of the screen on a 4K TV. The scaling process blows up that 1080p signal to use all the real estate on the screen. That doesn't mean that your 1080i Directv signal will look like a native 4K signal on a 4K TV.

This works the same on current TVs. If you buy a 1080p TV and watch 720p or 480i content on it the TV has to scale that to 1080p. That doesn't mean 480i TV looks like 1080p. The display always puts out it's native resolution even if the signal is of lower quality. That's why I don't want to pay for a 4K TV yet. Right now it would be like buying a 1080p TV and only watching SD content on it. There is really no benefit until you have some 4K content to watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I got to see the Sammy 4k with a direct D* feed for a NFL game at HH Greg over the weekend. I wasn't impressed. Looked about as good as any of the other same sized 240hz sets. Which was only marginally better than the same sized 120hz sets.

The 4k demo they had running looks really good but when the put up the 1080p vs the 4k split screen you realize how insignificant the changes are given:

1. What they show is obviously "best case"

2. by the time we see that as consumers much of that tiny difference will be compressed right out or not visible unless you are sporting a 70inch plus set and sitting closer than you probably should.

Sorry but I was excited about HD, holy crap I'm still waiting to get actual broadcasted 1080p a decade plus later and 4k just does nothing for me. Mostly because its hard to get excited when I'm still waiting for current tech to hit its speed limit and likely will for a long time forward.

Well it has to scale 1080p/1080i/720p to 4K or it wouldn't fit the screen. 4K is about 4 times the resolution of 1080p. If they didn't up scale that would mean picture using 1920x1080 resolution would only be able to fill a quarter of the screen on a 4K TV. The scaling process blows up that 1080p signal to use all the real estate on the screen. That doesn't mean that your 1080i Directv signal will look like a native 4K signal on a 4K TV.

This works the same on current TVs. If you buy a 1080p TV and watch 720p or 480i content on it the TV has to scale that to 1080p. That doesn't mean 480i TV looks like 1080p. The display always puts out it's native resolution even if the signal is of lower quality. That's why I don't want to pay for a 4K TV yet. Right now it would be like buying a 1080p TV and only watching SD content on it. There is really no benefit until you have some 4K content to watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was about to post that same type of info ...

I did go over and get a chance to play with the 4k set at my local A/V shop ... very nice, but as you said, it still has a lot of upconverting to do and the lower signals of some programming looked real bad, thats the signal, not the TV.

The 4k they had from Sony looked fantastic as expected ..... most people don't realize that HD is still held hostage by the quality of signal the show is produced with.

I got to see the Sammy 4k with a direct D* feed for a NFL game at HH Greg over the weekend. I wasn't impressed. Looked about as good as any of the other same sized 240hz sets. Which was only marginally better than the same sized 120hz sets.

The 4k demo they had running looks really good but when the put up the 1080p vs the 4k split screen you realize how insignificant the changes are given:

1. What they show is obviously "best case"

2. by the time we see that as consumers much of that tiny difference will be compressed right out or not visible unless you are sporting a 70inch plus set and sitting closer than you probably should.

Sorry but I was excited about HD, holy crap I'm still waiting to get actual broadcasted 1080p a decade plus later and 4k just does nothing for me. Mostly because its hard to get excited when I'm still waiting for current tech to hit its speed limit and likely will for a long time forward.

I agree ... IF you sat up close you would get the effects of the 4k, but if you sat where your suppose to it wouldn't make much of a difference.

I will hold off .... My Pioneer Elite should last me a good long time yet .... by then, something newer will be out.
The oled sets have been mentioned as well.

Then again, I'm not gonna find a set better than what I have at the moment and not needing one till then.

When the time comes, well see whats out there.

IF I was in the market for a TV, I would either wait for another 3-4 years on the 4k or look into the 8000 series Samsung or the Panasonic Plasma that is still around for a little while yet.

Oh yeah, now OLED is something to get excited about. I got to see the curved Samsung set at Brandmart in West Palm beach and that thing is absolutely gorgeous.

Oh yeah, now OLED is something to get excited about. I got to see the curved Samsung set at Brandmart in West Palm beach and that thing is absolutely gorgeous.

Go back in and see if you can watch something other than the demo disc though.

Watch cable channel as well as OTA.

Netflix has some demo 4k/UHD material on their site. Problem is finding a shop that has the ability to stream it, or real 4K/UHD discs for demo. We have a local mom & Pop that has been around for over 35 years.

When you go in there, you can tell that different sets are across the board with resolution. I use the THX app for my iPhone, when doing basic calibration for people. I also suggest to use 6500k lighting, set around 22 watts, when watching while reading. Otherwise set at 13 watts or even lower, but always suggest to use 6500k lighting.

You get a more natural picture with that lighting. Right now I am watching "Reign of Fire" on our Panasonic TH-42px75u Plasma, playing on a Sony BDP-S590 blu-ray player. The picture is better than we see on OnDemand, on Direct.

Yeah I'm looking at buying a new set in the next few months to replace my 2009 Panasonic Viera plasma... and it's not going to be 4k. It's going to be a Panasonic VT60 (or ZT60 if I can stash that amount of cash) 65" 1080p plasma.

I'm hoping I won't have to buy a new set for quite some time after that since Panasonic has announced they are dropping their plasma lines next year -- even though the ZT60 is supposed to be the first set that has blown the Pioneer Kiro (sp) out of the water, and is pretty much considered the best consumer set you can buy. Once Panasonic goes, the rest are going as well -- IIRC they sell like 80% of plasmas as it is, and aside from LG, the remaining plasmas are all using Panasonic panels anyway, and I can't see LG staying in the market since they are pushing LED so hard and are behind the whole "plasma sucks" movement themselves.

Basically the "LED is so much better" crowd has won, and that totally sucks -- for one, even on the newest LED sets, I can still see a slight amount of "backlight flicker" that drives me nuts... it's the same reason I returned a high end Samsung DLP for a JVC D-ILA based set back in the projection days -- I could see the spinning color wheel on the DLP sets during fast motion which also drove me nuts and the D-ILA set used 3 separate chips with a prism instead. I guess my eyes are extra sensitive.

I'm hoping that by the time the new VT60 is ready to retire, OLED in large screen sizes will be reasonably priced and on the mass market (8-10 years?) -- and maybe by that point there might actually be some real 4k to watch anyway. Since OLED's create their own light and are activated instantaneously like plasma, the experience should be similar.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)