DIRECTV CEO Mike White: 4K Rollout Will Be ‘Complex’

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It costs companies a lot of money to switch their equipment out to a new standard. We may see a bit of 8K tv's roll out shortly after 4K rolls out. Enhancements in technology may make it possible to bring it out for not much more or some may try to be competitive in rolling out 8K to gain more sales even if the content is not yet available.

How long has this transition been to current hd lite? We don't have anything close to 1080p being broadcast and people think 4k is coming soon?

Hype meet reality, it bites. Ask 3d.

How long has this transition been to current hd lite? We don't have anything close to 1080p being broadcast and people think 4k is coming soon?

Current hd lite? Really? Is it as good as possible, hardly. Calling it hd lite is hyperbole.

From an enthusiast point of view, my biggest question is why should I believe 4k will amount to anything? Anybody who's into FTA and has had the privilege of seeing backhauls would say that pay TV today is bitrate starved for HD and hugely bitrate starved for SD. Why should I believe they will do 4k any differently?

I remember when I got my c band dish in 1992. The first thing I saw was an ITC feed of the Toronto Blue Jays game. The picture quality was not much different than today's hd picture.

Current hd lite? Really? Is it as good as possible, hardly. Calling it hd lite is hyperbole.

Wake me when they can broadcast at the current mark of 1080p. I'll start getting excited about 4k some time after that. Until then 4k is nothing but a dream except maybe for BluRay buys. Even then, depending on how big your TV is and your viewing distance there is a good chance its not worth it over 1080p.

4k tv meet 3d tv. Expect some yawns.

I'm sure many said the same sorts of things when hd was first being talked about. There really isn't a big difference between 1080i and 1080p anyways. 4k is likely to be a bigger leap.

Directv sends the full 1920x1080 signal. Dish uses 1440x1080. You have them confused.

1080p is only being reserved for OnDemand, online streaming services like Vudu and Blu-Ray. You will only see 1080p in place of 720p, once 4k or 2160p as it is known, rolls out in about five years for systems like Satellite, Fios, CATV, and possibly IPTV for some of those providers. 4320p is 8k, which is 15 to 20 years out at this rate.

4k is likely to be a bigger leap.

Yep. Big leap.
I suggest others here who have not seen 4k to take a look at it before downing it. 4K is NOTHING like 3D..... but you will see how these two technologies will work together soon:)

The only part of Complex, will be the money it takes to build the back end, and finding adequate compression without compromising PQ to transmit 4K without using astounding amounts of bandwidth.

I see Aridon hasn't returned to this thread since his 1920 vs 1440 confusion.

The only part of Complex, will be the money it takes to build the back end, and finding adequate compression without compromising PQ to transmit 4K without using astounding amounts of bandwidth.
The current units they are using now, are already capable of 4k. All they are waiting for, is a flip of the switch. Now of course, those homeowners and business owners with really old units, will have to upgrade to the newer DVR's or STB's, in order to receive 4k.

Unfortunately the only video most have seen on the 4k units is a demo disc made exclusively for the 4k ...
Also, unfortunately these sets will not upconvert 1080 or 720 to 4 k.

That said, the 4k video look stunning !

..... Also, unfortunately these sets will not upconvert 1080 or 720 to 4 k....

How could they possibly NOT up convert? Or do you distinguish between upconversion and scaling?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I was in bestbuy today and was quite surprised at the amount of people looking into 4k. While the prices are 3-5K, 4K wont take off until TV manufacture's get that price point about half of what it is now. Once that happens 4k will boom like HD did.

I was in bestbuy today and was quite surprised at the amount of people looking into 4k. While the prices are 3-5K, 4K wont take off until TV manufacture's get that price point about half of what it is now. Once that happens 4k will boom like HD did.

The BB here had a Samsung 60" I believe, it was like $2500.

Unfortunately it was put in a place in the Electronics department that doesn't get much business, I'm not sure why they have it there.
They have a very nice Samsung display showing off the 7000 and 8000 series Samsungs, but the 4k is like 4 aisles down on an endcap.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)