DIRECTV CEO Mike White: 4K Rollout Will Be ‘Complex’

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Netflix has some demo 4k/UHD material on their site. Problem is finding a shop that has the ability to stream it, or real 4K/UHD discs for demo.

Even though the Netflix 4k material is there wouldn't it still be 1080p streaming to the 4ktv?

Oh yeah, now OLED is something to get excited about. I got to see the curved Samsung set at Brandmart in West Palm beach and that thing is absolutely gorgeous.
OLED has been talked about for over ten years now. At this point, it is still Vaporware, due to it has and possibly will not become mainstream.

It depends on the unit that you are using for streaming. Oppo, Sony, Samsung all have 4k capable Blu-Ray players out now.

Do these players have or need hdmi 2.0 to be able to stream 4k?

Do these players have or need hdmi 2.0 to be able to stream 4k?
You will have to look at them to find out. I know a lot, and search info on this stuff, but since you asked, I am placing that question back on you, if you really have a need to know.

You will have to look at them to find out. I know a lot, and search info on this stuff, but since you asked, I am placing that question back on you, if you really have a need to know.
Like many I am curious about 4k. I've seen demos and have been wowed. I know that hdmi 2.0 has just now been standardized for 4k. Netflix had said 4k streaming would be available by next year with internet speeds as low as 2 mps. Doing more research since I had asked you the question that 4ktvs will need the netflix app built in to stream 4k. External boxes (Roku, Aplple, bluray , etc..) will not be able to stream 4k yet. Not without hdmi 2.0 update.

Edit:
This link was very helpful.

http://www.dailytech.com/Netflix+to...4K+via+HEVC+H265+Compression/article33962.htm

Last edited:
This CNET reviewer couldn't really see much difference between 4K and 1080p/HD.

With video on a TV, the difference between 4K/UHD and 1080p/HD resolution is really hard to see. Many of the words in those reviews were written on a laptop in my lab at a theatrically close seating distance, comparing a 65-inch 1080p and a 65-inch 4K TV. Despite all the extra pixels I knew made up the 4K TV's screen, most of the time I didn't see any difference at all, especially with HD TV shows and Blu-rays. The differences in detail I did see were limited to the very best 4K demo material. Larger TVs or closer seating distances make that difference more visible, as do computer graphics, animation, and games, but even then it's not drastic.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57610862-221/four-4k-tv-facts-you-must-know/

I figured that they would do that with House of Cards. Now if they could only fix the whole system, so you are not streaming at 288-384, when it wpshould be 720p-1080p.

I am guessing Samsung will be the TV mfg, that will be doing this experiment with Netflix.

This CNET reviewer couldn't really see much difference between 4K and 1080p/HD.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57610862-221/four-4k-tv-facts-you-must-know/
You have to sit at least 15-25 feet, to see how well that resolution is. We sit 11' from our TV, and you can tell the difference between 720p, 1080i, 1080p.

Personally I would never trust anything anymore out of CNET.

There is a thread about Leo Leporte having his 4k 80" calibrated. The video they took to show it, was really poor quality, so you could not tell if you were seeing 720p.

The reporter is an idiot. I just looked at the picture in the article. I can tell the difference, between which is which.

It depends on the unit that you are using for streaming. Oppo, Sony, Samsung all have 4k capable Blu-Ray players out now.

No, they don't, since the UHD standard for UV optical discs hasn't been finalized yet. It might not even be called "Blu-ray." Nor have I heard of any HDMI 2.0 hardware actually hitting the streets in any numbers yet. It would be foolish, IMHO, to buy a "4K" TV before these matters are settled. Yes, I know of "promises" of upgradability, but don't believe them.

close.gif

OLED has been talked about for over ten years now. At this point, it is still Vaporware, due to it has and possibly will not become mainstream.

I participate in the OLED thread at AVS. A few thousand OLED sets have shipped. Big Whoop. But the word is out that a practical ink jet method has been more or less perfected (by Kateeva and perhaps others), and is available today for incorporation in new OLED factories. A few more will trickle out in 2014, and we should see significant numbers in 2015. MAYBE in 2016 the prices won't make me gasp, but I think it'll take longer. But IT IS coming now, no longer speculative.

OLEDs theoretically have simpler construction, fewer layers, no backlight/edgelight panels, and consume less electricity. And will therefore eventually be cheaper- and with better specs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts