Directv dispute with Viacom IS OVER!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Wow, they want as much for Epix as all the other stations? I wonder if Viacom agreed to the lower price of all the other stations based upon Epix being so much more expensive to make up for it.

$500M for a channel that carries movies that have run through every other pay channel and are for the most part on Netflix? That's just plain stupid. At this point, I'm going to be more likely to call DTV in anger and ask for discounts and ST for free if they bring BACK the Viacom channels.

I agree with Directv and Viacom should restore channels while they negotiate on EPIX :)

Not said is just how they want Epix carried. With Dish and some cable companies, it is either in a standalone package or some sort of HD extra package. And I would welcome Epix on D*, stick it in the HD Extra package and adjust the price of that package a bit.

But otherwise I agree, it shouldn't be part of the rest of the Viacom package deal. I will say I'm not surprised that Epix is a sticking point.

$500M for a channel that carries movies that have run through every other pay channel and are for the most part on Netflix? That's just plain stupid. At this point, I'm going to be more likely to call DTV in anger and ask for discounts and ST for free if they bring BACK the Viacom channels.

You need to do a little more reading. Epix has many movies that aren't on the other premiums, like the LionsGate library and others. And they have some European boxing that the others don't cover.

Not said is just how they want Epix carried. With Dish and some cable companies, it is either in a standalone package or some sort of HD extra package. And I would welcome Epix on D*, stick it in the HD Extra package and adjust the price of that package a bit.

But otherwise I agree, it shouldn't be part of the rest of the Viacom package deal. I will say I'm not surprised that Epix is a sticking point.

Me neither especially knowing Viacom :)

Remember you can get the HD Extra pack free for 3 months drop it and in a few seconds you get it free again. Even if they'd add it there I don't think you'd get enough subs to subscribe to it and at $4.99 probably won't raise the funds needed for the channel.

Remember you can get the HD Extra pack free for 3 months drop it and in a few seconds you get it free again. Even if they'd add it there I don't think you'd get enough subs to subscribe to it and at $4.99 probably won't raise the funds needed for the channel.

If they put it in the HD Extra Pack I would expect the price to go up

If Directv adds it to the HD Extra Pack I see the price of that package going up :)

You need to do a little more reading. Epix has many movies that aren't on the other premiums, like the LionsGate library and others. And they have some European boxing that the others don't cover.

So there's a handful of exclusive series offered. Still no more than other services. And the vast majority of movies are ones that have had a run on the other pay channels. I had this channel when we used to have Dish, and it was hardly anything I missed. I'd consider it the least of the premium type channels, and it's nothing I'd want my bill (or my HD package) going up for.

So there's a handful of exclusive series offered. Still no more than other services. And the vast majority of movies are ones that have had a run on the other pay channels. I had this channel when we used to have Dish, and it was hardly anything I missed. I'd consider it the least of the premium type channels, and it's nothing I'd want my bill (or my HD package) going up for.

Worse than Cinemax (Skinemax) or Encore? i see it a little above those but not by much :)

If they put it in the HD Extra Pack I would expect the price to go up

I can see that but to be competitive with E*, E* has a Epix package for $7.00 (which includes 1, 2, & 3) and their HD Pack is (Which I know includes Blockbuster) you get 20 Channels starting at $10.00 and if D* adds Epix that will make it 10 channels in D* package so They couldn't raise the price too high.

Last edited:
Worse than Cinemax (Skinemax) or Encore? i see it a little above those but not by much :)
I see it on par with Encore. Not sure where I'd put Skinemax, now that I'm older than 14. :) Maybe slightly below those two, but I'm not a fan of either of those channels as well.

Now that I think more about this, I'm not sure at 500M that DTV can leave it at the HD pack only, without a HUGE increase for that package. I have a feeling they'd need to put it on some of the program tiers to avoid taking a bath on that.

Viacom may want it choice ultimate or maybe even lower.

Now for ultimate directv should pull all the sports and non moive channels from it rename it and add a sports ultimate pack with some of non RSN sports pack channels in it.

I see it on par with Encore. Not sure where I'd put Skinemax, now that I'm older than 14. :) Maybe slightly below those two, but I'm not a fan of either of those channels as well.

Now that I think more about this, I'm not sure at 500M that DTV can leave it at the HD pack only, without a HUGE increase for that package. I have a feeling they'd need to put it on some of the program tiers to avoid taking a bath on that.

I just wonder if Directv will put in HD Extra Pack and keep separate like Dish did and what will the price be .....hmmmm :)

Update from DIRECTV

[h=6]Viacom’s current statement on our negotiations is completely inaccurate. They made a proposal last night for our carriage of the 17 channels they pulled from DIRECTV and we accepted all material terms for those channels including an increase that was more than fair. We are ready to close this deal at anytime and restore those channels to our customers.

However, as part of that offer, Viacom insists that we carry the EPIX channel at an additional cost of more than half a billion dollars. We know our customers don’t want to pay such an extreme price for an extra channel, they simply want the ones they had returned to them. We stand ready and willing to work with Viacom to get this done and, once again, ask Viacom to do the right thing and restore these channels to our customers immediately. Thank you.
[/h]

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)