DirecTV DVR Availabiltiy to New customers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mike_H

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Twin Cities, MN
Currently with Dish. I would consider moving to Directv if I could get equivalent receivers without a significant cost.

What I would need is 4 rooms of independant viewing with DVR capability on all 4. I currently have this by using 3 dish DVR devices, one of which is a multi-room dual tuner unit.

Everything I've seen says it could be a pretty expensive proposition for me to switch to Directv and maintain the status quo. Is this a correct view of things?

Mike_H said:
Currently with Dish. I would consider moving to Directv if I could get equivalent receivers without a significant cost.

What I would need is 4 rooms of independant viewing with DVR capability on all 4. I currently have this by using 3 dish DVR devices, one of which is a multi-room dual tuner unit.

Everything I've seen says it could be a pretty expensive proposition for me to switch to Directv and maintain the status quo. Is this a correct view of things?

Wow Mike, so if D* had the same hardware E* had you would switch? Do you mind if I ask what the reason for wanting to switch to D*? Is it the channel selection? The picture quality? The price?

Just trying to get an idea of what's available from DirecTV for equipment. Been with Dish for 6 or 7 years, but they really haven't done anything to compell me to stick around.

I love the functionality of the DVR's. Our family has regularly found 3 shows on television that are all on at the same time that one or more of us want to watch.

Does DirecTV not have any DVR that is similar to the Dish Dual Tuner DVR's? (Two rooms with independant viewing and DVR features from one receiver)

Mike_H, I made the switch from E* to D* just last September and so far so good. The Tivo based DVRs I have from D* are far superior to the E* offerings I used to have. As for cost you should be able to get 1 free DVR from D* and you can pick up the other 3 you need at Valueelectronics.com or other retailers. Even my local Wal Marts have them. The cost for the extra 3 DVRs should be $300 total with free install of the dish, wiring, and multiswitch. If you're lucky Valueelectronics or other retailers will still have the Tivo based DVRs which are more reliable at this time. So you're looking at approximately $300 installed for the 4 total DVRs. Of course the only negative is you're under a lease, but you might be used to leasing with E* so no big deal. Good luck.

I switched in January. I purchased 3 SD Tivos, an HD Tivo and one R15. Had an outdoor antenna installed. The total cost was $700.00. I sold my Dish EQ on E-Bay (2 721s, 508, 510 and 811) and came out ahead by about $50.00. Of course, times have changed. If you own your E* stuff, you might break even. Call ValueElectronics and see what the best deal is they can offer.

I feel the lack of a dual TV Dual DVR solution like the current 522 I have from Dish limits my migration to DirectTV. As long as they keep charging for the number of receivers, the dual units will have an advantage.

Thanks for the feedback.

Just FYI, I signed up to D* the other day and you automatically get 1 free DVR w/o any hassle. I also wanted one for my bedroom, and the CSR gave me a number to call when I got my service hooked up. Here it is: 800-531-5000

The short & sweet was that I had to pay $100 up front for the extra DVR receiver, but I got a $99 mail-in rebate making my total cost $1. I'm not sure how it would work on your 3rd & 4th DVR receivers, but I would imagine the same.

As noted, you would have the $5/receiver charge for each unit regardless if it was DVR or not. Having tried E* the first of the year with one of those dual DVR receivers I can say I was *not* impressed. I have a big screen and it seems the splitting of the signal had a negative PQ effect, or so I believe. It was neat being able to watch movies in the bedroom that I recorded in the living room and vice versa.

One last thought, you still have to pay $5/receiver even for the dual tuner receivers if you do not have a traditional land line to hook up. I was very disappointed in this since we only use cell phones at the house.

A friend just had directv installed with a dual receiver DVR. The installer wanted an extra $65 to run the coax for the 2nd receiver connection to the DVR. I'm with Dish and they ran dual cables for mine without any hassle. Is charging extra for the 2nd receiver connector normal with DirectV? Sounds like a rip off to me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)