DIRECTV Hits Historic Milestone: 30 Million Customers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Record-Breaking Growth Reflects Strong Demand for DIRECTV Products and Services Throughout the Americas

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DIRECTV, an upstart satellite TV venture that few thought would survive in a world dominated by cable companies when it launched in 1994, has surpassed 30 million customers today.

DIRECTV reached the milestone after two years of record-breaking growth in the Americas, including solid gains in the first half of this year, maintaining its status as the world's largest pay TV service. Since the beginning of Q3 2009, DIRECTV added more than 1.1 million customers in the U.S. — more than any other satellite or cable provider — ending the second quarter of this year with more than 19.4 million customers. Since it acquired one million customers in its first year of service in 1995, DIRECTV U.S. has reported customer gains for 60 consecutive quarters.

DIRECTV Latin America, sparked by a rapidly growing consumer class throughout the continent, added more than 2.4 million customers to the SKY Brasil and DIRECTV platforms over the past two years. SKY Mexico has nearly doubled in size by adding an additional 1.8 million customers over the same time frame, bringing the total, including Mexico, to more than 10.6 million customers in the region.

"Everyone at DIRECTV can take great pride in this momentous achievement," said Mike White, DIRECTV's Chairman and CEO. "DIRECTV in the Americas has set new standards for excellence in video technology, programming and customer service, and established our brand as synonymous with the best video experience available anywhere."

"With our business continuing to explode in Latin America, we expect to sustain that momentum by taking advantage of our scale, appealing to the young and rapidly growing middle market of consumers and leveraging the advanced technology we've developed in the U.S.," White added. "Demand for DIRECTV service among consumers in the U.S. is growing stronger as we near the fall selling season, and we are continuing to surprise and delight our existing customers with new products and services while actively engaging those price-sensitive consumers who are looking for both a great value and a superior video product.
"Finally, I want to congratulate all of our employees, business partners and loyal customers who contributed to this incredible success story."

About DIRECTV:
DIRECTV (NASDAQ: DTV) is one of the world's leading providers of digital television entertainment services delivering a premium video experience through state-of-the-art technology, unmatched programming and industry leading customer service to more than 30 million customers in the U.S. and Latin America. In the U.S., DIRECTV offers its 19.4 million customers access to more than 170 HD channels and Dolby-Digital® 5.1 theater-quality sound, access to exclusive sports programming such as NFL SUNDAY TICKET™, Emmy-award winning technology and higher customer satisfaction than the leading cable companies for ten years running. DIRECTV Latin America, through its subsidiaries and affiliated companies in Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia, and other Latin American countries, leads the pay-TV category in technology, programming and service, delivering an unrivaled digital television experience to more than 10.6 million customers. DIRECTV sports and entertainment properties include three Regional Sports Networks (Northwest, Rocky Mountain and Pittsburgh) as well as a 60 percent interest in Game Show Network.
For the most up-to-date information on DIRECTV, please visit www.directv.com.

CT

Source: DIRECTV

DTV @ 30 million subs

Impressive, if only H2H can have half percent of that, that would also "kinda" impressive hahahaha.

Congrats to DTV from a very Happy DTV subscriber.

Sent from my Motorola Dynatac 8000X using Tapetalk.

Impressive, if only H2H can have half percent of that, that would also "kinda" impressive hahahaha.

Congrats to DTV from a very Happy DTV subscriber.

Sent from my Motorola Dynatac 8000X using Tapetalk.

H2H would need something a little extra to create that kind of draw.. Like, I don't know, maybe HD? :D :D

I'm personally not a sub, but hats off to Directv what a milestone. They sure have "Branded" their name into the history books.

H2H would need something a little extra to create that kind of draw.. Like, I don't know, maybe HD? :D :D

If one compared the H2H megapipe HD feeds to Direct HD I wonder who has the better picture? Those of us who have seen both know the answer already. :D (hint C band) True C band quality has been choked off from us since the lamers accepted consumer grade lo fi HD on DBS & Cable.

What is available apples to apples on SD, H2H definitely wins with picture quality hands down. I'm flipping the remote between the two as I write, and H2H picture is much better in SD than Directs SD. H2H also offers certain nitch music channels Direct and Dish don't offer. Comcast cable by me offers some of those Viacom music channels but not DSS Why?.

BTW there are MTV music channels that play all music 24/7 you won't see them on DBS though. You get those MTV reality channels.:(

Last edited:
I guess no one was watching the DJ today where DTV was one of the biggest losers in stock worth. Down 5.7%! They may have reached 30 million, which is a great feat, but compared to last year they are way down on new subs and up on losers. Maybe those out there who know more might make some comments on this. This info was from a few sources and didn't initially target DTV but many others as well.

DirecTV shares down 6% on subscriber slowdown

(9:55 AM ET) CHICAGO (MarketWatch) -- Shares of satellite broadcaster DirecTV Corp. /quotes/zigman/115552/quotes/nls/dtv DTV -0.10% were down 6% after the company reported sluggish U.S. subscriber growth in the second-quarter. DirecTV posted better-than-expected earnings and revenue for the period, but said it added just 26,000 customers, compared with an increase of 100,000 in the second quarter of 2010. The rate of subscriber cancellations rose to a monthly average of 1.59% from 1.51%.

Last edited:
dude the ENTIRE market took a hammering today; even many of the strongest companies were down 3.5% - 6%. this was a near across the board drop.

If one compared the H2H megapipe HD feeds to Direct HD I wonder who has the better picture? Those of us who have seen both know the answer already. :D (hint C band) True C band quality has been choked off from us since the lamers accepted consumer grade lo fi HD on DBS & Cable.

What is available apples to apples on SD, H2H definitely wins with picture quality hands down. I'm flipping the remote between the two as I write, and H2H picture is much better in SD than Directs SD. H2H also offers certain nitch music channels Direct and Dish don't offer. Comcast cable by me offers some of those Viacom music channels but not DSS Why?.

BTW there are MTV music channels that play all music 24/7 you won't see them on DBS though. You get those MTV reality channels.:(

:blah::blah::blah:. You just have to defend C-band on every single Pro DBS thread, don't you? 4DTV has 5000 subs. DBS has 44 million. 30 for DTV and 14 for Dish. I don't know a single person that has a 4DTV or a BUD. Why should I subscribe to 4DTV? There is no reason other than a slightly better SD PQ. Why should I go to all the trouble to put up a BUD when I can get HD and many more features from DBS and Cable?

I love c-band and used to have it BUT c-band fails for more than people simply settling. It has cost, setup and other issues that DROVE even loyal users away.

So you are calling all of us lamers because we watch hd on Directv? Seriously? Ever heard of Dale Carnegie? You should.

Yes in deedy. All companies that look good on the outside, especially with inflated numbers(not necessarily DTV), when delved into deep enough they aren't doing that good. That is why we have these times when stocks readjust to what they really are worth to the public and not to the board of directors or over zealous investors. This is why housing is really where it should be and not the over inflated prices that the industry has been spouting for years.

Like I said; I said even the STRONGEST companies (not BIGGEST); trust me, I know how to evaluate stocks and company strengths. Just a high-level example is my own company, we are VERY strong PERIOD. We are at the top ever every category in our market; flush with more than a few billion in cash on-hand, low debt/low debt to earnings, highly rated 'buy' recommendations at nearly all houses/firm and a AAA credit rating from all the major reports. Trust me; YOU would want to buy us; even WE TOOK a 5% hammering today. That's simply what the current data and investor sentiment did to the markets today.

4DTV has 5000 subs.

More like 20k

Why should I subscribe to 4DTV? There is no reason other than a slightly better SD PQ.
No Rain fade or contacts you forgot those.

Some of us have the dishes and equipment so it's a phone call away. Some like the chase of FTA feed's and get 4D's for icing on the cake.

Joe 6 pack lives in his zone restricted community's and has no choice but to buy into DBS & Cable to watch tv he never gets to see what's beyond the horizon.

More like 20k

No Rain fade or contacts you forgot those.

Some of us have the dishes and equipment so it's a phone call away. Some like the chase of FTA feed's and get 4D's for icing on the cake.

Joe 6 pack lives in his zone restricted community's and has no choice but to buy into DBS & Cable to watch tv he never gets to see what's beyond the horizon.

Yeah no contracts but then you have a huge upfront cost to get the equipment. I barely experience rain fade with my 1000.4.

I don't see how one could compare, since H2H doesn't offer HD to the end user. And you're a lot of talk, I'd bet anything if you were shown them side by side you couldn't tell the difference.

Also, how do you watch your H2H in SD on your HDTV? Do you crop or pillarbox? Either way sucks, so it doesn't matter your answer.

30 million subs wow. The more they add, the harder it would be to do an mpeg4 conversion. That's a lot of equipment to replace. Looks like it will be over compressed blurry SD forever.

I know people who switched to DirecTV and the main reason is the price. Cable can be VERY expensive when you have multiple TV's. Their equipment prices are astronomical.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts