DIRECTV Hits Historic Milestone: 30 Million Customers

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I switched to Directv from DISH for one reason - 3D. So far I have been a happy camper with D*. Especially since I read this morning that the Olympic Games are going to be broadcast in 3D next year. Now, if Charlie Ergen will get off his royal behind and add a few 3D channels, I might be tempted to go back to DISH. Nah.............:p

Kick Ass DTV. Im happy to say i was one of the many that jumped ship to DTV and loving it.

I would like to thank dish for jacking up your pricing without that i would have never been part of the 1mill exodus of 2010.

I don't see how one could compare, since H2H doesn't offer HD to the end user. And you're a lot of talk, I'd bet anything if you were shown them side by side you couldn't tell the difference.

Also, how do you watch your H2H in SD on your HDTV? Do you crop or pillarbox? Either way sucks, so it doesn't matter your answer.

No matter what I say your going to back up DirecTV so I won't continue this. You love Direct I love the Bud debating this till were blue in the face won't change anything.

I hope those DirecTV stocks you guys who love pizza own do better in the future or there may not be a DirecTV. Your on a high now like the bud was in the 90's but history will repeat itself down the road with Direct, it's inevitable.

Last edited:
So you are calling all of us lamers because we watch hd on Directv?
Whats funny is he keeps making fun of the HD... yet is he watching all of these HD channels on his C Band dish? The answer is no.

I think Mr TVROPRO needs to go turn on his radio and listen to Bruce Springsteen's Glory Days about a million time and think about what C Band use to be.

Don't get me wrong I love my C Band dish. (Especially a lot more now that I got it fixed) but for actual real stuff to watch C Band can't compare to the "Cable TV from the sky" :)

. I barely experience rain fade with my 1000.4.
Dish Network is Ku Band. DirecTV went with Ka Band. More suseptible to rain fade. I also suspect that's why they aren't using 8psk with turbo coded-fec on the Ka transponders. Dish Network can, so you guys have a lot more HD channels per transponder.

:blah::blah::blah:. You just have to defend C-band on every single Pro DBS thread, don't you? 4DTV has 5000 subs. DBS has 44 million. 30 for DTV and 14 for Dish. I don't know a single person that has a 4DTV or a BUD. Why should I subscribe to 4DTV? There is no reason other than a slightly better SD PQ. Why should I go to all the trouble to put up a BUD when I can get HD and many more features from DBS and Cable?

Hey my C-Band dish provides quite a bit of shade in my backyard. Excellent spot for growing veggies. Putting up the dish was expensive but buying new receivers whenever the tech changed was the killer. When the NFL said no more C-Band I just gave up on it.

Dish Network is Ku Band. DirecTV went with Ka Band. More suseptible to rain fade. I also suspect that's why they aren't using 8psk with turbo coded-fec on the Ka transponders. Dish Network can, so you guys have a lot more HD channels per transponder.

... At the glaring expense of PQ.

Whats funny is he keeps making fun of the HD... yet is he watching all of these HD channels on his C Band dish? The answer is no.

I think Mr TVROPRO needs to go turn on his radio and listen to Bruce Springsteen's Glory Days about a million time and think about what C Band use to be.

Don't get me wrong I love my C Band dish. (Especially a lot more now that I got it fixed) but for actual real stuff to watch C Band can't compare to the "Cable TV from the sky" :)

Not only is he NOT watching them because they don't exist, but he claims to be able to tell the difference between D*HD and the"MEGAAAAPIIIIIPE HD" that H2H receives on their end (which he's never seen because he can't receive it).

i agree that Ka is more susceptible to rain fade yet when i had both dish and directv 2 years ago with both dishes peaked i got more rain fade on dish. go figure....
i am also one of the happy ones. best thing i did was leaving dish for directv. again, best thing for ME........

JerseyMatt said:
I'm sure it hasn't. That's also what people said about their analog cable when the digital salesman came along. You're not exactly in an objective position either. Ever had them side by side? I have.

I know the PQ on Direct is a little sharper. I'm saying that Dish's HD PQ has never been better. I was not comparing it to Direct's.

Sent from my iPad 2 using the SatelliteGuys App

Today it will be 30 m minus 1, going to cable with triple play. Will miss NFL channel, won't miss cloud, rain fade.
I would be out, neighbor would still be on.

Dish HD looks better than DirecTV SD. Heck Dish SD looks better than DirecTV SD.
I wish DirecTV would migrate to all (or mostly) mpeg4 and at least improve SD picture quality while opening up some bandwidth for more HD.

I dunno compare AMC, BBCA, E!, Style, TruTV, We, ID, DIY, and Cooking channel just to see how much better they look on Dish.

My TV has a 720p panel anyway. Just went DirecTV because they point in the 101 degree range, while Dish points where... 77 or so degree range (forget exactly). Anyway I have a big expense in cutting down trees if I want Dish Network.

Not only is he NOT watching them because they don't exist, but he claims to be able to tell the difference between D*HD and the"MEGAAAAPIIIIIPE HD" that H2H receives on their end (which he's never seen because he can't receive it).

I've seen all the first gen HD masters. I have a friend who works at Comcast and have seen it in the headends control room before it's butchered. So do assume I never have seen it.

Funny how people assume just because I can't sub at home. I've been in the commercial sat game since 1983 doing work for MSO's.

If you followed C band's openings and have a commercial megapipe DC-2 at home you can see them open from time to time also. Lots of open stuff last year when Zombiesat was on the prowl.

Last edited:
I've seen all the first gen HD masters. I have a friend who works at Comcast and have seen it in the headends control room before it's butchered. So do assume I never have seen it.

Funny how people assume just because I can't sub at home. I've been in the commercial sat game since 1983 doing work for MSO's.

If you followed C band's openings and have a commercial megapipe DC-2 at home you can see them open from time to time also. Lots of open stuff last year when Zombiesat was on the prowl.

Well goodie for you. I still bet you wouldn't be able to tell one from the other if someone just showed it to you. Audio/video snobs always make claims about the inferiority of technology that is 'beneath' them, but when push comes to shove they can't tell one from the other.

I could tell the difference believe me. I know what digital compression does to a signal. Those who never see anything but the consumer compressed version don't have a clue of how good the master can and does look.

There comes a tipping point where the human eye or ear can't differentiate between a 'master' and compressed if the compression bitrate is high enough. It's like saying you can tell the difference between an album master and a file encoded in 400kbps Vorbis. There may be a handful of people in the world that can peg it every time (and I highly doubt you're one of them), but everyone else is guessing.

You're DEFINITELY not seeing any difference on your 32" Aquos, even though in your own little world you think you are.

There comes a tipping point where the human eye or ear can't differentiate between a 'master' and compressed if the compression bitrate is high enough. It's like saying you can tell the difference between an album master and a file encoded in 400kbps Vorbis. There may be a handful of people in the world that can peg it every time (and I highly doubt you're one of them), but everyone else is guessing.

You're DEFINITELY not seeing any difference on your 32" Aquos, even though in your own little world you think you are.

Thats your opinion and your entitled to it. Once again you are assuming.

Maybe this will educate you on the difference:

HD Lite The Big Lie...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)