DirecTv Launches new satelite

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexoverbey

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Directv launches new satelite for more hd content. Looks bad for Voom :(

DirecTv's late launch of 7S is currently planned for a two hour launch window on the 4th of May. They are using Sea Launch for an ocean-based equitorial launch. The rocket left Long Beach several days ago. 7S should increase DirecTv's capacity by quite a bit. I believe the new bird will bring locals to 41 new markets as well as increasing capacity for hd services.

Expect the satellite to come on line about 2-4 weeks after launch.

I'll be amazed if they actually add any more HD channels. You can bet that thing is going to be well over 80 - 90% local stations.

That's where all D* subs are putting their hopes. Just like all of us who subscribe to E* were putting our hopes on Superdish and superdish just fell flat on Charlie's face -- 50 HD channels (lol). Nothing wrong with hope... Hope it does not happen like E*. In the meantime, I'll get my HD channels from somebody who has them already. When E* and D* show me compelling HD then I will consider them.

Just like Voom users are putting their hopes in a HD DVR. Though D* has already released one.

Don't expect significant HD channels additions to D*. HDTV subscribers are just a small fraction of their customer base. They will use the xtra badwidth to where the $$$ is: local networks

We all know this is just a misdirection. D* is building a super powerful star station to blackmail the NFL into making Sunday Ticket a D* exclusive for 1000 years.

rexoverbey said:
Just like Voom users are putting their hopes in a HD DVR. Though D* has already released one.

Rex,

not quite. DVR or not --- VOOM still have the content. What is to me a 921 or a HD Tivo when there is no content to record. I have a 721 which right now is useless because I won't watch SD programs.

What is amazing is that Charlie is still saying that there is no compelling content in the market and D* says will double HD programming but when?

As I said, DVR or not I am still watching the compelling HD programming that no one wants.

With the addition of the HD Tivo I wouldn't be surprised that they wouldn't add a few more hd channels. There is another satellite expected to be sent also in 2005.

rexoverbey said:
With the addition of the HD Tivo I wouldn't be surprised that they wouldn't add a few more hd channels. There is another satellite expected to be sent also in 2005.
You're right a FEW more HD channels.. but I want a LOT of channels... so I stay with V* ;)

DirecTV has 9 hd programs. Including Pay Per View HD, ESPN HD, HDNET, HDNET movies, Discovery HD, CBS HD, HBO HD, Spice HD, Shotime HD, and all the ota HD (which you can tune manually). They also have a lot more SD channels, a lot better pricing, ppv, better set top boxes, are adding locals, and have a lot more sports. If you added "any" more hd Voom would be in serious trouble. The only thing voom has going is a few HD exclusives. Voom isn't up to par yet and I hope they improve. But we all know they aren't there yet.

I think D* has committed to doubling their HD content this year, which shouldn't be hard to do with the addition of D7S to the mix. Besides any network HD channels, all that's out there to add is Starz-HD, Cinemax-HD, Bravo-HD and soon TNT-HD. They could do that without any problems once D7S goes up and the move some locals off of 101. I know folks would also like to see the InHD and InHD2 channels but since cable owns those I really doubt that D* or E* will ever see then in their program offerings.

rad said:
I think D* has committed to doubling their HD content this year, which shouldn't be hard to do with the addition of D7S to the mix. Besides any network HD channels, all that's out there to add is Starz-HD, Cinemax-HD, Bravo-HD and soon TNT-HD. They could do that without any problems once D7S goes up and the move some locals off of 101. I know folks would also like to see the InHD and InHD2 channels but since cable owns those I really doubt that D* or E* will ever see then in their program offerings.
If D* adds even some of what Voom has now-I'm gone-an extra 112.00 per month for the same sheryl crow concert over and over and melting ice cream is a bit much.

rad,

Don't forget Encore-HD and TMC-HD.

I'd rather have a dollar today than a dollar next month. As others have said, if DirecTV adds a lot of programming, then they will definitely be worthy of consideration. However, it hasn't happened yet, and until it does, there is no guarantee.

There's always the possibility that the DirecTV-7S satellite will have problems. In the unlikely event that happens, DirecTV won't have capacity for new national HD content for a very long time.

I remain sceptical since the HD subscriber base is so small, as someone else has pointed out, but it will be interesting to see what they do. My guess is maybe two more HD channels ( at what additional cost should be the most interesting thing) to pacify HD folks and then the real selling point of providing LIL for all those cities that presently get nothing from D*. This alone will see the D* subscriber base skyrocket and their coffers soar.

The VaVaVoom package still can't be touched for the money in my area.

rad said:
So true-agree totally!!

rexoverbey said:
DirecTV has 9 hd programs. Including Pay Per View HD, ESPN HD, HDNET, HDNET movies, Discovery HD, CBS HD, HBO HD, Spice HD, Shotime HD, and all the ota HD (which you can tune manually). They also have a lot more SD channels, a lot better pricing, ppv, better set top boxes, are adding locals, and have a lot more sports. If you added "any" more hd Voom would be in serious trouble. The only thing voom has going is a few HD exclusives. Voom isn't up to par yet and I hope they improve. But we all know they aren't there yet.
So true-good post!

I remain sceptical since the HD subscriber base is so small

I would like to see the numbers on that. There has to be more people with HD STBs w/ D* than with Voom.

rexoverbey said:
I would like to see the numbers on that. There has to be more people with HD STBs w/ D* than with Voom.

Oh hell, thats a given. My comparison is HD subscribers vs entire subscriber base of D*...and it's miniscule @ 5%. D* wants to grow and not go stagnant, thus their strive to get LIL to as many cities as possible.

I disagree that DirecTV has better pricing. For $39.99/mo, you get zero HDTV channels on DirecTV. They won't sell you the HDTV package or premium movie channels separately. DirecTV also charges $9/mo more than VOOM to get all premium movie channels -- and they only offer two premiums in HD, compared to VOOM's ten.

DirecTV certainly offers more SD channels, but aside from a few like ESPN, SciFi, and USA (and possibly FOOD and HGTV for our SO's), I think most members here could probably care less. I get my locals in HDTV with an antenna, so I see no reason to waste satellite capacity on overcompressed, pixelated SD locals. And I have zero interest in paying $2.99-$3.99/mo for SD 4:3 PPV when I can rent DVDs for the same price from Blockbuster.

DirecTV also offers better STBs and a HD DVR, though no hardware is available for rent. If you want it, you've got to buy it. They won't provide a free install without a one-year commitment. Indeed, almost any DirecTV equipment you buy requires a one-year commitment. Aside from a few test markets, DirecTV doesn't provide an OTA antenna for HDTV locals and won't install one. Unlike VOOM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)