DirecTV New HD channel additions and rumors

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Umm AMCHD is on D*
OWN is coming soon
West Coast feeds are useless IMO as the shows are replayed ad nauseum
G4 was dropped by D*

3 of them get at least some talk here and they are GSN, Hub and Reels....eh 4 with Fuse
The rest I personally dont care about

I would think people in Pacific and Mountain time zones would want the West feeds. Those without DVR's wind up missing a lot of stuff from everything coming on too early.

While someone in the Eastern time zone is sitting down with their popcorn at 8PM, someone in the Pacific time zone at 5PM is still sitting in traffic trying to get home from work as the program is starting.

I would think people in Pacific and Mountain time zones would want the West feeds. Those without DVR's wind up missing a lot of stuff from everything coming on too early.

While someone in the Eastern time zone is sitting down with their popcorn at 8PM, someone in the Pacific time zone at 5PM is still sitting in traffic trying to get home from work as the program is starting.

Good points, but all the more reason to have a dvr. I never had a use for one, but once I got it, I was hooked!

Good points, but all the more reason to have a dvr. I never had a use for one, but once I got it, I was hooked!

The main reason I don't have one if I don't feel one should have to pay a monthly fee to use one.

I wish someone would make and sell 3rd party HD-DVR's that can record from component output (since HDMI HDCP is a pain to deal with).

I can record in HD via component with my computer, but it's a manual process. I supposed I could set a autotune on the DirecTV receiver and somehow use windows task scheduler to hit record...

If I could afford the equipment, I would use autotune and a HDV Tape deck with component input and a timer. (basically the HD version of the old VCR's, lol).

folks in the M/P time zones with satellite have been dealing with this (very few west coast feeds) for 15+ years...its not like its something new to them

And again lots of cable channels replay they programs later at night (or prime time for the west coast)

For those that care, OWN HD launched this morning. I have some HD channels I would like to see on DirecTV, but OWN is not one I care about, although me wife will probably watch it on occasion.

John

There is only one channel I want to have in HD that currently doesn't even broadcast in HD, and that is VH1 classic. They have recent concert, documentaries, and live programming (such as That Metal Show) all filmed in HD. Other than that, every single channel I have in my guide is already broadcasting in HD.

I'd like all of the Encore's to be in HD, Choice Ultimate comes with all Encore's but I really only get to enjoy TWO of them, grrr. and why the hell can't TMC Xtra be included with choice ultimate? How does one even get it? Sub to showtime?

Thinking about it, I think ALL premiums should be in HD, I mean, if you're going to pay a extra premium for something premium, it should be of the best premium quality right? (HD)

I think they should only carry the "1st" channel of each premium in SD for the 18" dish people. 501, 511, 515, 527, 535, 545, 554, which I see they're kinda almost already doing that as there are a few premiums in HD only.

BTW, I've decided to put HD receivers on the SD TV's in the house so that they get all channels. I do need to upgrade from SWM SL3 to a SWM SL5 so I can get all of the channels that are being paid for... but damn those things are expensive. I have a non-SWM SL5 on hand but with a H25 in the house that won't work and a SWM multiswitch thing to connect to a non swm SL5 costs more than a SWM SL5. Any way to just get DirecTV to ship me a free SWM SL5?

Last edited:
There is only one channel I want to have in HD that currently doesn't even broadcast in HD, and that is VH1 classic. They have recent concert, documentaries, and live programming (such as That Metal Show) all filmed in HD. Other than that, every single channel I have in my guide is already broadcasting in HD.

amen!

My question is how many more HD channels are even out there?

There are a lot.

We are getting Bloomberg Television HD soon.

Here are some other ones: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cable_and_satellite_television_networks
  • C-Span HD
  • C-Span 2 HD
  • Centric HD
  • Encore Action HD
  • Eternal World Television HD
  • Fox Movie Channel HD
  • Fuse HD
  • Galavision HD
  • gmc HD (will change its name to UP HD)
  • GSN HD
  • Home Shopping Network HD
  • Hustler TV HD
  • Jewelry Television HD
  • Logo TV HD
  • Military Channel HD
  • MTV2 HD
  • NASA Television HD
  • Outdoor Channel HD
  • OuterMax HD
  • Ovation HD
  • Oxygen HD
  • PBS Kids Sprout HD
  • Playboy TV HD
  • QVC HD
  • Reelz Channel HD
  • RFD-TV HD
  • Sportsman Channel HD
  • Style Network HD
  • Telemundo HD
  • Trinity Broadcast Network HD
  • TV Guide Network HD
  • TV One HD
  • We TV HD

There are more which aren't on DirecTV:
  • The Africa Channel HD
  • ASPiRE HD
  • BBC World News HD
  • Comcast SportsNet Houston HD
  • Comcast SportsNet Northwest HD
  • Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia HD
  • C-Span 3 HD
  • EPiX HD
  • EPiX2 HD
  • EPiX3 HD
  • Esquire Network HD (name change, from G4 HD, coming up)
  • FEARnet HD
  • Funimation HD
  • IndiePlex HD
  • Longhorn Network
  • MavTV HD
  • Pac-12 Network HD
  • RetroPlex HD
  • Wealth TV HD

This list is not complete. I figure there will be a number of standard definition-only programmers who will end up going to the format of high definition. That will happen over the next few years.

I don't subscribe to Playboy TV or Hustler TV. But if I did, I'd want to be viewing them in high definition. That has to do with the subscription costs for each channel. I doubt many are suggesting either Playboy TV or Hustler TV to become added in HD. But for those who are interested, and noting that there are titles available in the adult-video section in the format of Blu-ray, to watch them in high definition would be more satisfying than setting on standard definition. Especially at their prices.

FS San Diego launched today but for some reason its still 694 (SD) and 694-1 (HD)...normally it would be same number and the SD version would be hidden

not the case

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)