DIRECTV NOW Launching in November!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
DirecTV NOW is not included ESPN or Disney! For $20/m, Sling TV already included both channels. I believe Sling TV is better choice now.

DirecTV NOW is not included ESPN or Disney! For $20/m, Sling TV already included both channels. I believe Sling TV is better choice now.
Where are you getting this information? Early reports show deals already made with Disney (ESPN)

FCC Questions AT&T Over DirecTV Now Pricing Plan And Impact On Competition
deadline.com/2016/11/fcc-questions-att-over-directv-now-pricing-plan-and-impact-on-competition-1201852650/
As I posted earlier in this thread, I still contend that a major component of the DirecTV Now initiative is to test the FCC and its stance on zero rating content. The pricing of this package seems rather unsustainable but if it's a probe by AT&T to push the limits of net neutrality that would explain the pricing somewhat. If the FCC backs down I would expect to see price increases on the horizon.

Why does the FCC care about zero rating?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!
Because it can disadvantage OTT services like Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc. Zero rating means At&T will not charge for bandwidth usage if you use their service(DirecTV Now) but they will charge for bandwidth if you any other service like those I just mentioned. It's anti-competitive behavior. Internet service comes under the purview of the FCC.

Because it can disadvantage OTT services like Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc. Zero rating means At&T will not charge for bandwidth usage if you use their service(DirecTV Now) but they will charge for bandwidth if you any other service like those I just mentioned. It's anti-competitive behavior. Internet service comes under the purview of the FCC.
Sounds pretty logical if you own the services involved why should you not use them to the best of your ability ?

Sounds pretty logical if you own the services involved why should you not use them to the best of your ability ?
Because data transmission over the Internet is regulated by the FCC, Internet providers are classified as Common Carriers which means they are regulated by the FCC.

What you're suggesting is that Neflix, et al should go and build their own Internet service. This is why I believe DirecTV Now is as much a test of net neutrality as it is a simple video service, AT&T wants to see if they can, in essence, get away with it.

With the change of administration in Washington, this may all become a moot point anyway as they will very likely install pro-business commissioners and personnel at the FCC as well as other government agencies that are tasked with watching out for the consumer.

Because data transmission over the Internet is regulated by the FCC, Internet providers are classified as Common Carriers which means they are regulated by the FCC.

What you're suggesting is that Neflix, et al should go and build their own Internet service. This is why I believe DirecTV Now is as much a test of net neutrality as it is a simple video service, AT&T wants to see if they can, in essence, get away with it.

With the change of administration in Washington, this may all become a moot point anyway as they will very likely install pro-business commissioners and personnel at the FCC as well as other government agencies that are tasked with watching out for the consumer.
IF Netflix had thier own Internet, you can be damn sure they would want thier service for thier customers to not have to charge for bandwidth while on thier internet.

Reactions: SatinKzo
I agree... zero rating when on own infrastructure is something I think should be allowed. net neutrality doesn't help the consumer in any tangible way and it's really just another form of pro-business... pro-business for those who don't want to invest in their own infrastructure and put the burden back on those that have the transmission mediums.

Reactions: AZ.
So what are expectations of them having Red Zone available as a standalone add-on since that's generally been a Sunday Ticket exclusive and they don't carry NFL's? Meanwhile the competition all have it.

We're cancelling Sling after trying it for a month, but it's been a buffering mess and generally poor service (cancel mid-month and service is immediately shut off). Thing is, it's available on our Xboxes and Vue isn't. If we have to use another device for the extra Sunday Ticket stream in our house we need every week (already have Mom's Sunday Ticket MAX on one TV) then Now needs to be better than Vue and it isn't an option if there's no Red Zone.

This chart shows how tiny the margins will be on AT&T's new $35 streaming TV service
http://www.businessinsider.com/directv-now-profit-margins-chart-2016-11
Don't forget that eventually they will have multiple packages of channels at different price points ... just thinking that this will happen.
Also, with this $35 price point, you now have to ADD the cost of the internet into the bill.
Yes, most people have the internet, but will they be adding higher speeds to accommodate all that they are using ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)