DIRECTV Remains Clear HD Leader with 130 HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Let me address this by asking one simple question. What would happen if an entire satellite does go out?

Where would they put the stations that were carried on that bird? Hopefully they have extra transponders on another bird they can use...

As I said a backup satellite will be needed to take its place, and light up the TPs on the backup satellite that occupy the same frequencies the lost bird used. Once a bird is gone, the frequencies used by it are no longer used by it, and are taking over by the backup bird, again no need to have any unused frequencies to fill the void or as temporary go between.

There are and always have been unused spare TP's on D10, yet when there were a lot of games being shown on their sports packages they would remove programming from a PPV channel or two because of the extra bandwidth need. I think it was more logical to conclude that there was no more bandwidth as opposed to no more stations to add???

Hemi's question is I think, why leave unused frequencies that D* already have license to use? He just asked it in a wrong way.

The only reason is there are no more stations to add. Another reason could be there were only so many working TPs left on the bird, if so the backup bird would cetainly kick in to use the unused frequencies. But that is hardly the case here.

My experience with the HR21 with the AM21 is hit or miss. Some days it's as fast as my HR20's which work fine. On other days it's like trying to run Windows XP on a Intel P3 with only 256MB of memory, it's horrible. This has happened with a HR21-200/AM21 and HR21-100/AM21 combination.

Perhaps all it needed was a power-cycle. It used to take 15-20 seconds from the time it changed to an OTA channel and the program appeared in the banner to when I had a picture. Often, after the picture came on it would give me the "Searching for Signal on Antenna" message. Now, it's 4-5 seconds, the same as my HR21.

Weren't these satellites supposed to be used for High Speed internet? But they used them for TV instead?
The Spaceways were originally intended for two-way Internet service and they may see some of that duty in the future. There is mention in the D10 license about it replacing some of the Spaceway capacity.

It would be nice if there was, but don't be upset if D* lights up exactly what they announced.

I certainly don't expect anything other than the 2 national HDs, 2 Showtime HD premiums, 12 full time RSNs and a handful of PPVs we've already heard about. I've already done enough complaining that this is all we are getting so I'll just be quiet and wait for more to come later.

I really hate the thought of that Planet Green HD channel being added before Travel Channel HD. Furthermore, I'd like to see Investigation Discovery go HD.

Chiller?

Any word on Chiller HD?

even further in the future how about AMC, FMC, and the only greatest hits old movie channels in HD?

Any word on Chiller HD?

even further in the future how about AMC, FMC, and the only greatest hits old movie channels in HD?

Chiller, according to their very own website, is slated for this fall.

As for the greatist hits old movie channel do you really mean TCM? AMC is cut and full of commercials. TCM however plays the good old movies without commercials. I DVR a lot off them. I would like AMC too, but only for the series... they ruin movies.

Some ignorant people ask, "what channels could they possibly add that are available?" Well.... Chiller, AMC, Travel Channel, a bunch of HBO/Max channels, and many more. They could fill up the 150 max capacity now that they have the new sat real quick.

Let me make the list. I'll have no problem finding channels to add.

I certainly don't expect anything other than the 2 national HDs, 2 Showtime HD premiums, 12 full time RSNs and a handful of PPVs we've already heard about. I've already done enough complaining that this is all we are getting so I'll just be quiet and wait for more to come later.
we aren't expecting anything. we're just hoping that there will be more than what was announced. if there isn't that's fine. and if there is great.

They are in the guide for Sat.. The hd channels that were anounced by Direct. Here is a look at my scheduler for Sat. night.

Edit: My scheduler did not copy but you can go to your account and check them out.

They are in the guide for Sat.. The hd channels that were anounced by Direct. Here is a look at my scheduler for Sat. night.

Edit: My scheduler did not copy but you can go to your account and check them out.

He's right, they are in the online guide. Unfortunately, there is nothing more that I can see than the stuff they already announced. I cannot believe they are not adding at least a few HBO and Cinemax channels. Are they nuts?

Unless they are planning a big exciting roll out of all 23 missing HBO/MAX HD channels.. 3/26 in HD is not good DirecTV... start putting them out there. Come on!

edit- also, why is Showcase (Showtime 3) on 539 for SD and 541 for HD? Usually they share a channel number. The listings are the same, so it is the correct version of the HD channel.

Last edited:
My rsn are still on for tomorrow. Though I do look forward to better pq. I do not see much more hd added on these even though they will be considered 27/7 hd. I think most of these will still be game only for now until more hd will be put on these.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)