DIRECTV Remains Clear HD Leader with 130 HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
... It is a public forum and as a supporter and member of this board I can discuss what ever topic I wish to. It is still a free country last time I looked. So Any satellite issues or additions by EITHER sat company, I will discuss If I want to.

Thankyou very much. :mad:

Untrue. This is a private forum, and as such you have zero rights here (including free speech). What you can and cannot discuss is 100% up to the board's owners. You have absolutely no say in the matter.

Now...hopefully this thread can get back on topic.

Untrue. This is a private forum, and as such you have zero rights here (including free speech). What you can and cannot discuss is 100% up to the board's owners. You have absolutely no say in the matter.

THis is a private forum YES and one that I pay to support as a member and supporter I can discuss anything within the rules and constraints of this board . YOU have no right to tell me what I can contribute to any discussion and as since you can't understand that ,I will then welcome you to my IGNORE List. :rolleyes:

You have a perfect right to be wrong as much and as often as you'd like.

I'll defend that right forever!;)

There is nothing wrong with what he was saying, the D* HDDVRs do have a lot catching up on the UI department. The slowness is a killer IMO.

That said I also want to tell Mike that the E* "turbo charge" update did cause a lot of issues for the 722s. For example my 722 automatically switched from 1080i HD output setting to 480p, prompted me to declare, after a time consuming A/B comparison between E* and D*, that E* had further downrezzed all the MPEG4 HD resolutions, when in fact it did not, I was looking at E*'s 480p pictures.

Let's hope D* adds HBO pack soon, and most importantly for me The Travel Channel HD, among a few others.

It is not your job to tell a fellow member what rights he has or does not have on here, if you have a problem, PM the member or better yet PM the moderators. What you did was against the rule.

Breaking News: After reading these posts D* will remove all HD channels from their lineup. The only channels that they will provide is ABC Family and all the PPV channels, the rest will be removed on Aug. 21st. Thanks guys for all these negative posts, now see what you did D* has responded now.

Breaking News: After reading these posts D* will remove all HD channels from their lineup. The only channels that they will provide is ABC Family and all the PPV channels, the rest will be removed on Aug. 21st. Thanks guys for all these negative posts, now see what you did D* has responded now.

I'll bet that months after they do that those same channels will still appear in their "Channels I Get" function. :)

Yes! Stretch-O-Vision , or a smaller pictures with Black bars. When I see either of these on an HD channel , I switch it to the SD channel.
Pillar box SD on an HD station is many times better in PQ than pillar box SD on and SD station.

WOW I see a big difference when the SD show is on the HD channel.

Pillar box SD on an HD station is many times better in PQ than pillar box SD on and SD station.
Hemi knows this also......

Or maybe he doesnt. E* doesnt offer you the programming thats on other than the games. :D And even then.....

THATS why I was excited about these channels. With CFB coming up this month, more stuff for me to pick over:up

Yes, I did have to pay a cancellation fee. It was a big mess and I was told by Carlos the csr that it would be $240.00 to break my contract. I then cancelled and Carlos said I would see $240.00 charged to my credit card. Well the next day I see $420.00 instead. I called retention and he said yes that was a mistake and it should be only $380.00. I am still waiting on the $40.00 credit that the retention guy said would be coming. He didn't care that I had Carlos name and number and that he had told me this total. He said there was nothing on my account to support what Carlos said. I learned from that experience . I won't be doing business ever again with them . Have had Directv twice in the last 5 years. This is the first time I ever cancelled . I truely hated their hd dvr and the remote control was an ergonomic nightmare as well. Did like their video on demand features though. DISH is starting to try to match the free stuff online in their tv entertainment features under the dishonline feature.

I am very satisfied with what DISH has now in the way of hd. I get the premium channels that I wanted in HD and all the nationals that I wanted except FX. I can wait on FX. I also am happy with my 2 -722 dvrs and my 622 on my main account. THe best damn dvr I have ever owned. I can record 3 shows at the same time(1ota/2 sat) download a FREE tv entertainment event online, transfer a movie to my external hard drive and watch something else recorded on my tv 1 tuner and or watch another event on tuner 2 in the bedroom in dual mode, all at the same time. I know that DIRECTV could never match all of that. I also want the new 722-K that is supposed to come out this fall . It will allow you to record two ota channels and 2 sat channels or 4 things at the same time. The new 722-S coming out next year with slingblade, will have 1 terabyte of internal hard drive and you can sling video /audio to another room in the house in sd or hd. Not to mention sling clips to someone you know with a comparable dvr in their house. DISH has the best cutting edge dvrs now. No one else comes close.

I think that once I go to the eastern arc for all my satellite reception using the 1000.4 sat dish for 61.5 /72.7/77 sat slots , for all mpeg 4 service, that the video quality will definately improve. I am supposed to get the new dish next week. I only will need the new smart cards to be able to use the new dish and I am all set.

Mike:

Sorry to hear about your problems with DirecTV.Wish you the best of luck with Dish.I was truly hoping you would like DirecTV better.I know when I switched from Dish to DirecTV I have been alot happier.:)

My problems with Dish has always been the way I believe Dish puts out inferior technology,how they obtain that technology,channel contract negotiations,extra fees,and their general operations.:no:rolleyes:

Again good luck!:)

I Hate the Pillar box Look. If the PQ is better ,its not enough to make me watch it with those bars on the screen. and stretching the picture doesn't make it much better.
But the PQ is better. If you hate the pillar box look you can always stretch it yourself. I do agree that stretching it does not make it look better, in fact it makes it look worse.

This is not relevant to my original point. My point being, pillar boxed or not, a SD programming PQ on an HD station looks better than a SD programming PQ on a SD station. Even if something is only in SD, the ability to watch it on an HD station is a big plus.

Last edited:
I Hate the Pillar box Look. If the PQ is better ,its not enough to make me watch it with those bars on the screen. and stretching the picture doesn't make it much better.

So you hate the black bars and you don't like streching, so you watch only programming that's originally in 16:9 format?

So you hate the black bars and you don't like streching, so you watch only programming that's originally in 16:9 format?
No I turn on the SD Version that fills the screen properly, Just like it has always done for over 60 years. I don't like HD channels that Try to make SD programming HD ,when its not. Bottom line! If you like it good for you all. I don't. If its SD ,i'm watching it on an SD channel. If its HD I'm watching it on an HD channel.

No I turn on the SD Version that fills the screen properly, Just like it has always done for over 60 years. I don't like HD channels that Try to make SD programming HD ,when its not. Bottom line! If you like it good for you all. I don't. If its SD ,i'm watching it on an SD channel. If its HD I'm watching it on an HD channel.
But you are missing the point. SD that is kept in it proper format as 4:3 with pillar bars on an HD channel looks better than kept exactly the same way on a SD channel. I do agree with you on the fact that if the HD channel is stretching it out of its proper format, I too turn it to the SD channel because I don't like it when it is not in its proper format.

I am confused by your point though. First you said you did not like the black bars (which means it is in it proper format) now you are saying you prefer the proper format of SD (which means it must have the black bars).

Like Doger said I'm confused. SD programming by it's nature is a 4:3 program material, if you're watching a SD channel and it's filling a 16:9 screen your set top box or your TV is stretching that 4:3 content. So you're saying you like SD channels that pretend to be a HD channel? Sorry, you say you don't like bars and then you don't like stretching, if you're watching a 4:3 SD channel and it's filling a 16"9 screen your box or TV is doing one or the other, bottom line!

There is no such thing as an SD channel that fills a 16x9 screen properly. So whatever point you are trying to make was not done unless you watch SD only on a 4x3 TV.

Thats the thing Hemi. The channels we are talking about, that you dont like pillar box on, DONT stretch the SD content. What SD versions of these RSNs are you watching that fill the screen properly if they arent showing actual HD content? Are you saying that you would rather have stretched SD than OA upconvert?

If so, thats fine, just curious.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)