DirecTV - Self install, new account?

I think Claude means receivers with an outstanding balance. I think he's just throwing smoke screens to try to undermine his competition.

i don't know why people buy boxes from 3rd party vendors. as there would still be a contract enforced and they more than likely would want the box back. might as well get the genie system!!! and ATT won't activate an owned box!!! to be honest i don't think theres any more owned boxes out there!!! and they don't sell the genie systems what so ever something to do with a trademark from what i heard... whats wrong with leasing the hardware with tech changing overnight and if dtv does finally sink you won't be out of a whole lot of $$$.. they do have clauses to let you out of the contract like if they can't get your system working by 3 times they will let you out of the contract... now i was told i was let out of my contract owing nothing and my acct was closed!!! so i looked in my e-mail and i got one from ATT saying my online bill was ready. I was like WTF. i called and they told me that they it will be cleared and closed last night and its still open showing i owe when i owe nothing!!! oh yea the ATT website never works half of the time anyways!!! and the fees would be the same as if you were renting the boxes also... tonight i am filing complaints against them on there piss poor service. and customer service is horrid to!!!! if it was me i would really think about going to directv.. since ATT bought them they suck and thats the truth.. it's not what it was years ago... to be honest direct sucks. customer service is sh*t to one hand don't know what the other hands doing. you'll spends hours on the phone being transfered around from rep to rep because there clueless.. and don't ask to speak to a manager or the loyality dept or the retension dept as i was refused to do so as that's against ATT'S policy wich makes me wonder if ATT really monitors them!!! oh yea customer service is in a third world country since ATT likes hiring slave labor!!!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: dare2be
You've turned off your service and sending stuff back, yet your still not happy that you have to bash them ...
You are aware that att is a BIG co.pany not a little co.pany that you can walk into a store front and talk to, right ?

Hi folks -- long time viewer of the forum, finally registered an account here.

I've read older threads regarding self-install -- but since the AT&T takeover, I do not know how relevant some of these threads are.

I'm looking to purchase a HD receiver from a vendor (SolidSignal, etc), and install it myself. I want to then activate a new account with this self install.

Does AT&T/DirecTV allow this? Do they give out promo pricing with a self install or is it full price? I assume this is more like a RV install to them -- do they have a special department that handles these types of things?

Thanks!

A couple years later...

Were you able to get DTV to activate equipment you bought off SolidSignal? I am looking to set up a new account and am wondering if they'll do that. Don't want to have a tech out for reasons not really worth going into.

A couple years later...

Were you able to get DTV to activate equipment you bought off SolidSignal? I am looking to set up a new account and am wondering if they'll do that. Don't want to have a tech out for reasons not really worth going into.
I have gotten recvrs from Solid Signal and activated them with no problem, they are an actual D* authorized retailer.
Now I will point out, I activated equipment on an existing account, not set up a New account, that may or may not be different.

Give them a call, they will do installs as well, last I heard.

Weaknees used to allow self installs but stopped awhile back. I am not sure anyone will do it anymore

I have gotten recvrs from Solid Signal and activated them with no problem, they are an actual D* authorized retailer.
Now I will point out, I activated equipment on an existing account, not set up a New account, that may or may not be different.

Give them a call, they will do installs as well, last I heard.

Weaknees used to allow self installs but stopped awhile back. I am not sure anyone will do it anymore

Thank you for the replies - some things to look into. If anyone knows names of other 3rd Party sellers, curious to know. Cheers

Thank you for the replies - some things to look into. If anyone knows names of other 3rd Party sellers, curious to know. Cheers
You may find a local company to do the install. Directv, Weaknees, and Solid Signal are the only authorized sellers I'm aware of.

And why buy from shady signal you don't own the box they want it back when you cancel
Actually, D* may or may Not want it back, I don't believe you would return any equipment to Solid Signal ...
As for your opinion ... I personally don't slander people, your opinion of them may not be good, but I have used them more than once, because D* wouldn't allow one thing or another ... and they have come thru every time and I typically get my stuff next day.

Actually, D* may or may Not want it back, I don't believe you would return any equipment to Solid Signal ...
As for your opinion ... I personally don't slander people, your opinion of them may not be good, but I have used them more than once, because D* wouldn't allow one thing or another ... and they have come thru every time and I typically get my stuff next day.
I thought they wanted the HD boxes back?? Though with them as there was a poster on here that said they didn't want the 4k mini back. I would def ask on that one to make sure they didn't!!! I don't know what setup you have we have always had the genie with the 4k minis. Just not worth the price in my book!!! I did get my hopper from them they said it was owned and not leased. That makes a difference. This is how bad my dtv got before we dumped em
No one knows what's going on lol

Attachments

• 20230131_205142.jpg
    20230131_205142.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 70
I thought they wanted the HD boxes back?? Though with them as there was a poster on here that said they didn't want the 4k mini back. I would def ask on that one to make sure they didn't!!! I don't know what setup you have we have always had the genie with the 4k minis. Just not worth the price in my book!!! I did get my hopper from them they said it was owned and not leased. That makes a difference. This is how bad my dtv got before we dumped em
Wow, I have Never seen a picture like that with D*.

That looks like a video card issue.

Wow, I have Never seen a picture like that with D*.
funny thing is that no one knows whats going on. and if you tell em that it might be an issue between them and the station and them. they go clueless real fast. it's not the tv. everything else runs fine without issues!!!

funny thing is that no one knows whats going on. and if you tell em that it might be an issue between them and the station and them. they go clueless real fast. it's not the tv. everything else runs fine without issues!!!
Is it All channels ?

If its all channels, its not the station.

Have you tried a different HDMI port or change HDMI Cables , could be a loose or bad connection.

Try swapping to a different HDMI port.

You sound pretty certain its not a bad D* box ... that does happen, just like everyone else.

Is it All channels ?

If its all channels, its not the station.

Have you tried a different HDMI port or change HDMI Cables , could be a loose or bad connection.

Try swapping to a different HDMI port.

You sound pretty certain its not a bad D* box ... that does happen, just like everyone else.
it was hallmark and TBS mainly
we tried different HDMI ports and cables all of the connections are tight they even came out and re did the install so all new cabling splitters new boxes!!!
the problem happens all though the home
i think the DTV boxes are bad but those were replaced as well. i know it's not the t.v. since DTV is the only thing that act's up on it. dish hasn't acted up on it yet and either does spectrum
we check for firmware updates on the t.v. it kicked back that we have the newest ones so none needed. the DTV boxes haven't said they needed an update in a long time maybe that's the issue.

i also noticed that there was a whole lot of macro blocking happening on alot of the channels also
i am thinking it's something between them and the stations :coco
signal was at 98% on all of the transponders