Directv slimline dish... any use for it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
Helped a friend switch to Dish recently and the tech left the Directv dish behind, so I grabbed it and took it home. Haven't measured the dimensions yet, but it's larger than my Dish Network 1000.2 reflector. Can I do anything with this for Ku? I know 95 W has some feeds that will work, but would it work with maybe 97?

IMG_0146.JPG
IMG_0145.JPG

Here's what I did with one...8 years ago.

DTV Slimline w/SatAv SL2 LNBF on SG-2100 motor

Lots of changes since then but I would think it would be worthwhile to experiment with to see what you can get.

IIRC there are a few threads on using these, probably more recent than my experiment.

The LNB you used with your Slimline looks like a perfect fit. Can I find one of those online somewhere, or are they outdated now?

you could possibly get a few sats with it it narrow down the sats you would like to receive then base on your location see which of those have the strongest beam in your area. You can check lyngsat Map or Satbeams. 97w would be a good sat as it as lots of dvb-s signals

you could possibly get a few sats with it it narrow down the sats you would like to receive then base on your location see which of those have the strongest beam in your area. You can check lyngsat Map or Satbeams. 97w would be a good sat as it as lots of dvb-s signals

I've got 3 other larger dishes already, I'm just thinking of maybe making this Slimline a dedicated dish for 95 or 97 :)

Would work great for 95w or 97w ku i started out with a slime line. If you have old DN superdish lnb those work great for this dish. Lnb on superdish is stacked so you would have scan V side of it.

I have a Slimline for 95W as well, and I suspect many of us have done that kind of experiment. I am intrigued by that LNB in the ebay link, though. It would have made my job a lot easier.
Thinking out loud here...would the news feeds on 91 be possibly achievable on a Slimline?

I have a Slimline for 95W as well, and I suspect many of us have done that kind of experiment. I am intrigued by that LNB in the ebay link, though. It would have made my job a lot easier.
Thinking out loud here...would the news feeds on 91 be possibly achievable on a Slimline?

The four 24/7 ABC feeds, maybe. Most of the wild feeds on 91 are DVB-S2. So probably none of those

Did well on 91w ku. On 87 ku it was alright. I used to get 72 w real easy if you use an DN superdish modded you can 2 degree seperation with 2 fss lnbs.

Also, I measured this dish and it is just under 32" across. That's about 80 cm, which makes it wider than my 76cm dishes. Does that mean it will have similar performance to a 76cm dish?

Did you slip the PVC over a smaller J-pole?

You would have to determine what the difference in diameter is, then find the correct diameter of PVC pipe. If you are lucky you would be able to just slip it over the smaller pole. But that probably wont be the case. Also, PVC pipe comes in different thickness...schedule it's called. The higher the schedule number the thicker the wall of the pipe.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Also, I measured this dish and it is just under 32" across. That's about 80 cm, which makes it wider than my 76cm dishes. Does that mean it will have similar performance to a 76cm dish?

I believe they are about the same size as the 60E channelmasters. So they would be equivalent to a 24 inch dish or 60 cm.

Catamount

You would have to determine what the difference in diameter is, then find the correct diameter of PVC pipe. If you are lucky you would be able to just slip it over the smaller pole. But that probably wont be the case. Also, PVC pipe comes in different thickness...schedule it's called. The higher the schedule number the thicker the wall of the pipe.
I've done that... If I remember correctly, a 1-1/2" schedule 40, split lengthwise and forced open with a screwdriver blade will fit nice and tight on a 1-5/8 j-pole and bring it to about 50mm/2"

Reactions: raydio
Well I picked up where CN left off with this project and finally had time to play today. I was able to get watchable channels on 87W Ku.

I used this LNBF - LINEAR DUAL LNB FSS SATELLITE LNBF FOR VIEWSAT PANSAT | eBay and it works great with the DirecTV Slimline dish.

I knew that I probably would not be able to lock LPB and I was right, it's hard enough with a 76cm dish. However I was able to lock real nice on the CNN Mux on 11960 with about 56% quality. Even better yet was The Florida Channel on 12044 - 73% Quality and even more surprising was The Patient Channel on 11800, was able to get about 58% quality. All watchable channels with no breakup.

I cannot really see anything West of 87 as my house gets in the way. So, as time permits I was be checking out sats East of 87 with this goofy dish.

Well I picked up where CN left off with this project and finally had time to play today. I was able to get watchable channels on 87W Ku.

I used this LNBF - LINEAR DUAL LNB FSS SATELLITE LNBF FOR VIEWSAT PANSAT | eBay and it works great with the DirecTV Slimline dish.

I knew that I probably would not be able to lock LPB and I was right, it's hard enough with a 76cm dish. However I was able to lock real nice on the CNN Mux on 11960 with about 56% quality. Even better yet was The Florida Channel on 12044 - 73% Quality and even more surprising was The Patient Channel on 11800, was able to get about 58% quality. All watchable channels with no breakup.

I cannot really see anything West of 87 as my house gets in the way. So, as time permits I was be checking out sats East of 87 with this goofy dish.

Were you able to lock the Florida Lottery and New York Lottery with the Slimline?

Status
Please reply by conversation.