DIRECTV Teases NOMAD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
sounds like a portable device (Like the ones Dish used to have) or maybe an answer to Dish's "tailgator" dish

As far as I know the Nomad does not stream live content. It is just a device to offload select media from your DIRECTV HD DVR to a portable device such as a laptop, ipad or ipod.

If you want live content you will still need to sling it.

You could always set a recording of a live program and then start streaming it via the nomad thing, I would hope anyway.

I figure it is nearly identical to a slingbox for directv. As someone with a HD slingbox, it will have to get pretty good reviews and be a decent price to make me think about it.

Sadly, knowing DirecTV, I wouldn't be suprised to see a monthly fee attached, much like whole-home dvr.

if it is like a sling type device and the last memos on it could make it go either way. I would stay with dtv just for that reason alone whole home + sling would be nice ... I could just buy a sling box but what fun is that.

If it doesn't stream but downloads only, that is a nice complement to a slingbox. Save wireless bandwith (3G type) or watch in areas without wifi (airplanes). Could be useful in place of or in complement to a slingbox.

I would prefer that it would download as there isn't a good option for downloading your shows right now.

From what I have read, Nomad will download in realtime. Which means downloading a 1 hour program from dvr takes 1 hour. No live stream.
Not Slingbox like at all from what I've seen. Fearful of a lawsuit I guess. Fees will be attached also. I was excited about it at first but the more the rumors you hear, excitement is turning to disappointment.:(

I am also hearing that (and do not know if its true) all the channels with +'s next to them are channels that DIRECTV has agreements with so that you can move your shows with Nomad.

If thats the case it may explain the +'s finally.

DirecTV's Nomad to Link DVR With iPad

DirecTV is nearing the launch of Nomad, a product that will allow customers to transfer programming captured on an HD DVR to mobile devices and view it outside the home.
The device will carry a projected one-time cost of about $150, with no ensuing subscription charges.

Source & More: mediapost.com

Neat...
But not $150 neat. If it did live streaming as well like Slingbox and Vulkano, then I would be interested

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts