DIRECTV Teases NOMAD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
sounds like a portable device (Like the ones Dish used to have) or maybe an answer to Dish's "tailgator" dish

As far as I know the Nomad does not stream live content. It is just a device to offload select media from your DIRECTV HD DVR to a portable device such as a laptop, ipad or ipod.

If you want live content you will still need to sling it.

You could always set a recording of a live program and then start streaming it via the nomad thing, I would hope anyway.

I figure it is nearly identical to a slingbox for directv. As someone with a HD slingbox, it will have to get pretty good reviews and be a decent price to make me think about it.

Sadly, knowing DirecTV, I wouldn't be suprised to see a monthly fee attached, much like whole-home dvr.

if it is like a sling type device and the last memos on it could make it go either way. I would stay with dtv just for that reason alone whole home + sling would be nice ... I could just buy a sling box but what fun is that.

If it doesn't stream but downloads only, that is a nice complement to a slingbox. Save wireless bandwith (3G type) or watch in areas without wifi (airplanes). Could be useful in place of or in complement to a slingbox.

I would prefer that it would download as there isn't a good option for downloading your shows right now.

From what I have read, Nomad will download in realtime. Which means downloading a 1 hour program from dvr takes 1 hour. No live stream.
Not Slingbox like at all from what I've seen. Fearful of a lawsuit I guess. Fees will be attached also. I was excited about it at first but the more the rumors you hear, excitement is turning to disappointment.:(

I am also hearing that (and do not know if its true) all the channels with +'s next to them are channels that DIRECTV has agreements with so that you can move your shows with Nomad.

If thats the case it may explain the +'s finally.

DirecTV's Nomad to Link DVR With iPad

DirecTV is nearing the launch of Nomad, a product that will allow customers to transfer programming captured on an HD DVR to mobile devices and view it outside the home.
The device will carry a projected one-time cost of about $150, with no ensuing subscription charges.

Source & More: mediapost.com

Neat...
But not $150 neat. If it did live streaming as well like Slingbox and Vulkano, then I would be interested

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)