DirecTV to add 44 HD local markets (Updated with Launch Schedule)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
2 newbie questions (im on a directv reconnaissance mission for my dad):

1) what does HD LIL stand for? (just my own curiosity)

2) my parents live in the Richmond, VA market, but live an hour away in Farmville... when the Richmond-Petersburg HD locals, will we definitely get them?

thanks, and i did some searching, so dont flame me too bad

Rob,
Welcome to the site :D

Another spot you might want to browse thru to aquainte yourself a little more is the Glossary in the dark Blue area toward the top of the page.

Not trying to be a smart a** , just wanted to let you know that it is there. :)

Jimbo

Rob,
Welcome to the site :D

Another spot you might want to browse thru to aquainte yourself a little more is the Glossary in the dark Blue area toward the top of the page.

Not trying to be a smart a** , just wanted to let you know that it is there. :)

Jimbo

thanks! i actually hadnt noticed it there... i am a daily user of a car forum and some of the people there could very much benefit from a glossary section

i had googled "HD LIL" but the only results i got were people using the phrase in threads on this forum

completely off-topic but why is Dish Network abbreviated E* ?

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but for those who live in NEPA rumor has it that we will finally get WBRE and WYOU in HD on Friday.

Keep your fingers crossed!

Back to locals: Toledo planned for September.

"Although I do not have a*hard date, we expect to light up Toledo in September."

There you go Jimbo!

Are there any definitive dates for anything after August? I know Dayton, Ohio is listed for October, but I've seen nothing specific about dates.

thanks! i actually hadnt noticed it there... i am a daily user of a car forum and some of the people there could very much benefit from a glossary section

i had googled "HD LIL" but the only results i got were people using the phrase in threads on this forum

completely off-topic but why is Dish Network abbreviated E* ?

Not really off topic...
E* = Echostar (Dish Network)
D* = DirecTV
V* = Voom
C* = Comcast
TWC = Time Warner Cable

and there may be some others of interest, but that should get you going. :)

Rob,
In case your wondering,
E* Echostar is the parent company of DISH Network.

Jimbo

Chattanooga Local HD

I live in Chattanooga, TN and was wondering if anyone has an exact date for the locals to go live and if we will be receiving all 4 major networks. I know that Dish only has CBS and FOX.

New here, but I want to post on this. My fingers are crossed, but I work at WDEF(CBS) in Chattanooga and management and engineering knows nothing of this. Don't look for CBS to join in the fun...so there goes football. I hope I am wrong but when asked they remained clueless and I know they have to agree with D* before they allow the broadcast.

Too bad there has to be money and agreements involved. Why ABC and NBC are not on dish is beyond me, or if and why they would not appear on D*. Seems like they are only hurting themselves.

Alphabetical Order of 210 DMA List

Hey O!
For anyone interested in a Alphabetised List of 210 Designated Market Areas. I put it on an Excel Spread Sheet so it would be easier to find the City that a person may be interested in locating without scanning the whole list.

The cities that happen to be highlighted are the cities that I can receive OTA from my location.

I was so happy to see that Dothan AL had made the list until I found out that I'm not considered to be part of their DMA. I live 5 miles from the county line where Dothan's DMA stops. And Columbus GA's DMA begins, even though I'm 45 miles from Dothan AL and I'm 70 miles from Columbus GA! Go figure!

One good thing I suppose is; FIOS Cable has been laid across the street from my house. And the day is comming (within 10 years) that I will then be able to hook into that.

When FIOS will be up an running people will have another provider of TV options and that will help drive down the costs. Because as it is today people have a choice in Telephone Companies; within 10 years people will have a choice of Cable TV Companies.

Hope my list helps!

View attachment 210 Alphabetised DMA's.xls

I would like to acquire a list of D* DMA's that they service

Hey O!
If there is a list of Cities that D* provides local channels to; I would like to receive a copy of it.

I had read on one of the Posts that someone believes that D* will someday provide local channels in every DMA.

I hope everyone has a Blessed Day!

EDIT: I found the list. Yea!!! Have A Great Weekend!

Last edited:
satellite used for new locals

Is there a way to know which satellite these new new hd local channels will reside on? I'm hoping they will be on 103 or 99. My SD locals are currently offered at the 72.5 location and that wouldn't work for me.

Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)