directv to fta

Status
Please reply by conversation.

donato

Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
i have a question if there is a way to use my old DirecTv receivers to get FTA channels.

I am curious what allows a twinhan 102A from being able to handle both DSS and DVB-S.

I'd must say it would be reallly cool to convert some old direct tv or dish receivers for pure FTA DVB usage :)

Iceberg, Can I use my existing DirecTV dish - 36" Slimeline with three LNBs - for my FTA setup? I just bought a Viewsat PVR7000 and quit direcTV (bunghole TV). Do I have to realign the dish? Or is it good to go, just plug in the bird info?

You would be able to get NASA and Angle One, that's it I think.
The Subscription Companies use a Circular Signal and requires a Circular LNB, while regular FTA uses a Linear Signal and requires a Linear LNB.
From the outside the LNBs can look the same, it's the inside where the differance is.
Best bet is to get a 90cm Dish with Linear LNB and a Motor.

Kinda. Finding one that fits would be the problem, you'd have to "make it work"
Then, re-aim the dish to the Sat you want, see....
SatelliteGuys.US - TheList
Depending on what you want, I would suggest 123west for American TV or 97west for foriegn TV.
Also, depending on where you are located, that Dish may be a little small for some signals.

Try removing the triple lnb first and leave the dish there. Should be aligned center for AMC4. Try getting KUIL first with your reciever (See "the list"). Its a hot TP so should be able to pick it up and ensure that you've got your receiver settings right without messing with dish alignment :)

Once that is done, then try some of the other dish locations, like G18

The thread above was for receiving really strong FTA signals on really small Phase III dishes.
You might find the LNB-mounting brackets we came up with to be useful.

But this recent thread deals with the bigger DirecTV dish.

And when you're ready to buy a proper dish, this thread would be enlightening.

I was looking for another thread where a new member had put a Standard FTA LNB on his DirecTV Slimline dish, but he hadn't gotten around to posting pictures.

i have a question if there is a way to use my old DirecTv receivers to get FTA channels.

No, you will need a fta receiver. The receiver is for DSS, you need DVB. Dish Network receivers are DVB but they are pretty much useless for fta too. The companies program them specifically for their services and nothing elese. Look on ebay for fta receivers, used ones are going cheap!!!

Convert DTV to FTA, or DN to FTA? Well, yes and no. If you want the performance we enjoy, like blind-scanning and other advanced features, forget-about-it. I always hoped to get some use out of the satellite IRD 'junk' I collected, some with UHF remotes. So, I googled and searched, until a few years ago when there appeared talk about limited success -- being able to receive FTA only, even set the LNB LO for Ku, DiSEqC functions, but only those channels with a 20M symbol rate would work, like the current Galaxy 25 transponder bouquet which includes Al Jazeera English. A couple years later that limitation was finally solved. The overall result was a poor man's unit -- usable for FTA only with no blind scan, no serial port or ability to add one, and erratic or wrong signal/quality readings. That's right, a DTV DSS unit can be made to do DVB, like a DN or original FTA unit can -- purely a firmware issue. [Think Twinhan 102A.] But, only a very few older IRD models could be converted, models with the exact same processor as the Pansat 2500/2700. What it amounted to was a complicated J-tagging process to erase all proprietary firmware, effectively turning the box into a useless orphaned brick of components -- a box of rocks, and then reflashing with original Pansat firmware rewritten to match an entirely different animal of tuner, larger flashROM and CPU in/out port mapping, remote control and front buttons, ect. Far more involved than merely flashing an exchange of firmware basic to the CPU. It was a proof of concept project, that eventually succeeded for the most part, by coders without malicious or criminal intent. It laid to rest the rumor and controversy about what could or wouldn't work, forever. The fixed symbol rate issue was only imagined to be hardware related. As DN eventually uplinked some channels with a higher symbol rate, that assumption came under stronger scrutiny.

It's all very interesting if you have the curiosity, mind, time and patience for it. Otherwise, use the time to make money and then go on eBay and buy a cheap FTA unit, dead or alive. Even J-tag it back to life if necessary. When I started out in FTA I bought a DVB Viacast unit for more than what a new Pansat 2700 costs today, sat switch and serial cable included. The Viacast was a very solid and basic commercial machine, but no blindscan and slow as heck - still fun though. It was a relief to finally own a Pansat 2500 that could find unknown feeds and actually let me see quality readings long enough to position the dish. The Viacast couldn't do that, it had some wierd time-out in the menu. Also some scrambled channels would cause it to lock-up solid. Real fun when the first channel it sees in the line-up after a transponder scan is scrambled. People who start out with something insane like that and survive to graduate to today's standards are a proof of concept success by themselves.

-sidha

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)