Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DIRECTV to Offer Local Channels in 190 Markets Including 16 Additional Markets in HD

More than 99 Percent of U.S. TV Homes will have Access To Local Channels from DIRECTV by End of 2011

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DIRECTV, the world's largest pay TV provider, will roll out HD local channels in 16 additional markets, beginning this summer. Of the new markets, 15 will receive local channels from DIRECTV for the first time. By the end of 2011, DIRECTV will offer local-channel access to 99 percent of U.S. TV homes, covering 190 markets across the country, including local HD in 174 of those markets. The new HD markets are:

• Alexandria, La. • Jonesboro, Ark. • Billings, Mont. • Lake Charles, La. • Chico-Redding, Calif.*(*SD locals already available) • Panama City, Fla. • Elmira, N.Y. • Parkersburg, W.Va. • Great Falls, Mont. • Quincy, Ill.-Hannibal, Mo.-Keokuk, Iowa • Greenwood-Greenville, Miss. • St. Joseph, Mo. • Hattiesburg-Laurel, Miss. • Utica, N.Y. • Jackson, Tenn. • Yuma, Ariz.

"We're thrilled to expand our footprint by launching HD locals in these additional markets," said Derek Chang, executive vice president, Content Strategy and Development for DIRECTV. "With the expansion of our local-channel service to more than 99 percent of TV homes across the country by the end of this year, we'll become an even stronger competitor in these communities."

For customers who live within each new market, DIRECTV will deliver HD programming from the primary broadcast networks — ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC and CW — where available. Eligibility for local channels is based on service address within certain designated-market areas, as defined by Nielsen Media Research, Inc.

To receive DIRECTV's HD local programming, customers must have HD-compatible equipment. Current HD customers will continue to pay a $10 fee to access their HD programming, allowing them to see their local channels along with DIRECTV's lineup of national HD channels available in their particular base programming package.

Customers can visit directv.com to learn more about the full complement of DIRECTV's HD programming lineup including existing channels, new channels, details on equipment required for HD services, and updates on when the markets will launch. If customers need to upgrade their equipment, they can also call 1-800-DIRECTV.

Disappointing that only one SD market is slated to have HD added. They need to show a little love for Lansing, Eugene and Fargo.

i wonder if they will have more then dish now. dish claims to have all markets, but that just isnt true(if they cant get the actual locals to come on board and can provide 1 distant due to lack of affiliate they say they have it)

i wonder if they will have more then dish now.
This announcement doesn't change DIRECTV's current LIL channel count in any way.
dish claims to have all markets, but that just isnt true(if they cant get the actual locals to come on board and can provide 1 distant due to lack of affiliate they say they have it)
DISH Network is appears ready to launch DNS services under a provision of STELA.

This announcement doesn't change DIRECTV's current LIL channel count in any way.DISH Network is appears ready to launch DNS services under a provision of STELA.

DNS is not local, it may be network coverage, but it is not local.

I wonder if many of these markets will have a FOX affiliate. THE GM of the Bismarck, ND, FOX affiliate said the network isn't approving any new retransmission consent deals until the network gets a cut of the action from independent affiliates.

most of those markets already have an agreement with the distants portion to be carried until these are launched.

Disappointing that only one SD market is slated to have HD added. They need to show a little love for Lansing, Eugene and Fargo.
since they are already in SD (and probably on 119) it may be a while. These markets launching are all new from the get-go

:( Yet still no HD in Duluth MN/Superior WI

Claiming local coverage without it being in HD is like saying "Lookie here, we now have all channels in color"

Claiming local coverage without it being in HD is like saying "Lookie here, we now have all channels in color"

I agree with you, although at least you have a DMA that might get HD in this decade.

I'm in a DMA that D* is not even aware of! Heck, I'm guessing my only chance in the next decade to get my local news in HD over satellite will be via some crazy internet VOD option in 2020 (which I'll be paying for by the byte via some other overpriced satellite option.)

:( Yet still no HD in Duluth MN/Superior WI

oh I agree. Directv needs to do two things
-get them in HD
-or at least add My9 to the bunch...dangit thats the only way I'd be able to see the national Champion Bulldogs :) (I was a "mover" until I upgraded to HD then they gave me a slimline 3 so no 119 for Duluth lcoals)

You can get a Slimline 5 if you say you want to watch La Liga soccer as it comes from 119. I got a free upgrade when I lived in North Dakota.

I agree with you, although at least you have a DMA that might get HD in this decade.

eh you never know....Directv has some 1 channel DMA's like Mankato, MN (just down the road from me) in HD and a couple of those markets they are adding (St Joe, MO and Parkersburg, WV) are one full or one full/one subchannel market. What they are going to fill in the missing ones is the question. Will it be national feed or a neighboring? Here in MN Mankato gets Minneapolis as fill in for HD. So if Bangor is in HD they might get the Isle added ;)

So what would it take to make a new DMA here in Kentucky with Hazard serving us ? WYMT ? I wouldn't mind a new DMA being formed here like the Bowling Green DMA since Lexington has a way big DMA

There was no DMA formed with Bowling Green. Its been a DMA forever.

The issue with what you're asking would be that if they broke off Hazard to its own DMA you'd have 2 stations
WYMT (which is a satellite station of the Lexington CBS)
Kentucky PBS satellite station

Thats it.

Honestly Directv could carry WYMT but legally they dont have to. The FCC rule is if there is more than one network affiliate in a market, the satellite providers only need to carry one UNLESS the stations are licensed to different states or they agree to carry both. There are markets where it is done. Fargo, ND has 2 ABC stations (one in Grand Forks) and both are carried. Until recently they carried both KBJR & KRII in Duluth, MN. Both are NBC and KRII is a 95% identical station sans some commercials and a 10 minute news clip. Its about 70 miles up the road in Chisholm, MN. But both were carried because technically KBJR is licensed to Superior, WI even though the studio and tower are in Duluth. They recently dropped the KRII station for CW (which is a subchannel on both stations).

Gray could request both be carried. But then we have a new issue. Getting a signal from WYMT to the POP in Lexington to be carried. I noticed WYMT has a subchannel of the Lexington station but not the other way. If WKYT in Lexington had a way to get the signal from WYMT to Lexington it would be easier to carry both.

Honestly I think the holdup is getting a signal to the POP.

yeah I wonder if they could get it via fiber optic link or FTA satellite or something ? Your right it is a satellite station for WKYT but they have their own news and news dept. Also more local programs. Just because their a satellite station doesn't mean that they don't have diff. newscasts. infact their news has been voted best in the state for a few years now by the AP. I wonder how WLJC and the channel 67 Ion get their signals to the POP ? Also any chance of getting the KET subchannels online ?

yeah I wonder if they could get it via fiber optic link or FTA satellite or something ?
fibre is probably the easiest option. I know here in Minneapolis they did that. We have a PBS station about 200 miles away (still in the DMA) that is different than in Minneapolis. They had a fundrasier to get on dish/directv and they did it. They have a fibre connection from the southern part of their area (120 miles away) to Minneapolis.

Your right it is a satellite station for WKYT but they have their own news and news dept. Also more local programs. Just because their a satellite station doesn't mean that they don't have diff. newscasts. infact their news has been voted best in the state for a few years now by the AP.
no I understand. I should have said "semi-satellite" but checking wiki (take with grain of salt) it sounds like there is already something in place between the two
It has its own studios on Black Gold Boulevard in Hazard but some internal operations are based at WKYT's studios on Winchester Road (U.S. 60) near the Brighton section of Lexington.

I wonder how WLJC and the channel 67 Ion get their signals to the POP ? Also any chance of getting the KET subchannels online ?
Ion is just a remap of the national feed. We have the same thing here. KPXM 41 is just a remap of the national feed (remapped to 41)...looking at a list I dont even see that being carried
WLJC must have some way since they're on both Directv and Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)