Directv to shift away from Satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I guess you never worked in a fiber maintenance group..if you stretch or bend a fiber it affects the light traveling through it

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!
Your kidding right ?
Fiber comes on ROLLS ...
It bends every which way , you can have bends all over the place, but not cracks.
If your a fiber maintenance person you know how to fuse it and how it works.

Its LIGHT ...

Do you PLAN these activities ?

If your gonna complain if it doesn't work after an Earthquake, your not a realistic sub.
Why yes..I need the overtime...but seriously..when fiber ages the size of the core changes..most fiber is only good for 10 - 15 years..

Your kidding right ?
Fiber comes on ROLLS ...
It bends every which way , you can have bends all over the place, but not cracks.
If your a fiber maintenance person you know how to fuse it and how it works.

Its LIGHT ...
Fiber gets old and then cracks..its glass

So do you replace all the windows in your house every 10-15yrs because the glass gets old and cracks? I don't think so.

Fiber gets old and then cracks..its glass

Why yes..I need the overtime...but seriously..when fiber ages the size of the core changes..most fiber is only good for 10 - 15 years..

So do you replace all the windows in your house every 10-15yrs because the glass gets old and cracks? I don't think so.
That's not the same..technology has improved fiber immensely..the smaller the core the longer distance it can go without being regenerated. .electronics is where the money is..maintenance, power consumption..rackspace..new types of fiber can go much further than older types

Are you talking larger multimode vs smaller (9 micron) single mode? That's been around for a long time and is not new technology.

That's not the same..technology has improved fiber immensely..the smaller the core the longer distance it can go without being regenerated. .electronics is where the money is..maintenance, power consumption..rackspace..new types of fiber can go much further than older types

Are you talking larger multimode vs smaller (9 micron) single mode? That's been around for a long time and is not new technology.
Equipment has evolved and requires different fibers..much of the multimode is obsolete...10gig and 100 gig circuits require better fiber than high speed oc3 and oc12 circuits of the past..much of fiber to the home stuff uses PON ( passive optical)...meaning no regeneration..stronger lasers going further distance in a fiber with very small core...the old fiber would go 5 miles or so and the signal would be regenerated and retransmitted..require more electronics and only allowing much slower speeds

I guess you never worked in a fiber maintenance group..if you stretch or bend a fiber it affects the light traveling through it

Bending is fine if you don't exceed the bend radius for the particular type of fiber. Stretching causes physical damage to the fiber if it is unprotected, like the orange stuff run in datacenters, so that's hardly surprising though not particularly relevant.

Neither is possible for armored cables on poles, it won't bend anywhere near the max bend radius of the fibers inside, nor is it possible to stretch.

Bending is fine if you don't exceed the bend radius for the particular type of fiber. Stretching causes physical damage to the fiber if it is unprotected, like the orange stuff run in datacenters, so that's hardly surprising though not particularly relevant.

Neither is possible for armored cables on poles, it won't bend anywhere near the max bend radius of the fibers inside, nor is it possible to stretch.
Unless a car takes out the pole

Reactions: pattykay
Here's some food for thought I took a road trip to Texas last weekend and every restaurant and and truckstop from Wyoming to Texas had DirecTV with Sunday Ticket now tell me how DirecTV plans to migrate and handle all these establishments especially the rural ones. I just don't see streaming feasible for the fact that it's going to be super slow especially for sports bars and out in the Country forget it! Another question comes to mind are they going to have all the channels D* sat has

Here's some food for thought I took a road trip to Texas last weekend and every restaurant and and truckstop from Wyoming to Texas had DirecTV with Sunday Ticket now tell me how DirecTV plans to migrate and handle all these establishments especially the rural ones. I just don't see streaming feasible for the fact that it's going to be super slow especially for sports bars and out in the Country forget it! Another question comes to mind are they going to have all the channels D* sat has
AT&T did say they want to keep DTV in the rural areas.

Reactions: Pere845
AT&T did say they want to keep DTV in the rural areas.
Hopefully they do that but I believe they should also let people in suburbs and urban areas that don't want the 5G product to continue utilizing satellite service but it's AT&T so I will believe it when I see it. Funny thing is not one establishment that I stepped in used Dish Network

Hopefully they do that but I believe they should also let people in suburbs and urban areas that don't want the 5G product to continue utilizing satellite service but it's AT&T so I will believe it when I see it. Funny thing is not one establishment that I stepped in used Dish Network
They still sell party lines..err let people who have them..keep them..

Dish has never seemed to make capturing commercial customers a priority.

Just as well, because these places want sports, including the Sunday Ticket. And they can only get that from DTV.

Reactions: Tampa8 and Pere845
Status
Please reply by conversation.

MLB Extra Innings package on DTV: intermittent outages

Will a HR24-500 Receiver work with a SWiM Dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)