Directv to shift away from Satellite?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
AT&T and Verizon might be part of the group writing the 5G standards, but they are not in charge. An international body is in charge, the same standards organization that created LTE and GSM in the past.

Thank God.

I saw this new article where it looks like John Stephens is reiterating backing away from 5g and wants to just continue upgrading FTTN to FTTP.

AT&T: The Business Case for Fixed 5G is Ugly, Verizon Seems to Beg to Differ - Telecompetitor

“Challenges for us, it’s not the network and the team can build it or they have the knowledge, they can,” Stephens said. “It’s the cost efficiency.”

Stephens said, it’s not the last mile that troubles AT&T, it’s the backhaul, particularly in urban environments. High bandwidth fixed 5G service, where gigabit speeds typically are being promised will need fiber backhaul to the core network to meet those promises. Getting fiber to all of those small cells and 5G access points is expensive. Apparently too expensive for AT&T.

In fact, Stephens suggested a better path for AT&T would be to upgrade the 30 million locations where the formerly known as U-verse FTTN service is currently available to FTTP.

Reactions: navychop
It also sounds to me like AT&T also doesn't know what it wants to do with TV. They have the chat transcript up at Seeking Alpha and Stephens was sounding like they still want to keep UVerseTV.

Reactions: Tampa8
Yes, the center of the Slimline dish is pointing within a few degrees of where the LNB arm is pointing and not straight out from the reflector surface.

Also, the Sats are not at where you think the dish is pointed at, they are actually MUCH higher up than the dish points.

If you take a ride around and look for satellite dishes they are everywhere . I would like to hear the conversation when Direct says from now on we will just stream your service to you . You supply the device to receive it and internet service Plus pay for the cap you go over and we will still give you your tv package. I think they will here a lot of you can kiss my A - - . There is another satellite company that will gladly switch out that Dish for you. And give you BETTER Equipment..

Our internet has been down yesterday and last week no way I get rid of my dish.

I think a number of people are not understanding what will happen when ATT pulls the plug on satellite. ATT is a telephone, Internet and data company and they don't seem to care about satellites. Not if but when they pull the plug on satellites they will certainly want to deliver DirecTV content through their own networks be it DSL, fiber or 5G wireless. The primary delivery mode is not going to be streaming like Youtube to a computer, it will probably be through a similar look and feel set top box to your TV, just no satellite.

When I worked at DTV they put on several "dog and pony" shows for ATT executives going back nearly 15yrs ago and when the ATT big shots left, the talk back then was they probably only want the content and customer base to boost U verse or something similar.

If you take a ride around and look for satellite dishes they are everywhere . I would like to hear the conversation when Direct says from now on we will just stream your service to you . You supply the device to receive it and internet service Plus pay for the cap you go over and we will still give you your tv package. I think they will here a lot of you can kiss my A - - . There is another satellite company that will gladly switch out that Dish for you. And give you BETTER Equipment..

Reactions: NashGuy and Pere845
I think a number of people are not understanding what will happen when ATT pulls the plug on satellite. ATT is a telephone, Internet and data company and they don't seem to care about satellites. Not if but when they pull the plug on satellites they will certainly want to deliver DirecTV content through their own networks be it DSL, fiber or 5G wireless. The primary delivery mode is not going to be streaming like Youtube to a computer, it will probably be through a similar look and feel set top box to your TV, just no satellite.

When I worked at DTV they put on several "dog and pony" shows for ATT executives going back nearly 15yrs ago and when the ATT big shots left, the talk back then was they probably only want the content and customer base to boost U verse or something similar.
Except they invented the first telecommunications satellite years ago...satellite works great in a one way broadcast situation..too expensive and too slow to do internet...much cheaper and faster ways to do that

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Maybe you haven't been following ViaSat for home satellite Internet. Its rockin fast and their launching more sats.

Except they invented the first telecommunications satellite years ago...satellite works great in a one way broadcast situation..too expensive and too slow to do internet...much cheaper and faster ways to do that

Maybe you haven't been following ViaSat for home satellite Internet. Its rockin fast and their launching more sats.

have they learned to bypass physics and lower the latency to @ 100 yet?
have enough bandwidth for 4k or even 1080?
have actual unlimited without small print?

They will be offering up to 100mb speeds, same as my current ATT fiber. I've used one of their older Exede systems at job sites across the US and Canada and have streamed HD and 4k. Latency is there but never showed itself as a problem and some web sites report an average latency of 59.48ms. Their equipment for the new ViaSat satellites is absolute cutting edge stuff.

I see ViaSat will bundle DirecTV with their system but I've not seen that in person. I assume the customer would get a ViaSat dish and separate DirecTV dish and service.

have they learned to bypass physics and lower the latency to @ 100 yet?
have enough bandwidth for 4k or even 1080?
have actual unlimited without small print?

They will be offering up to 100mb speeds, same as my current ATT fiber. I've used one of their older Exede systems at job sites across the US and Canada and have streamed HD and 4k. Latency is there but never showed itself as a problem and some web sites report an average latency of 59.48ms. Their equipment for the new ViaSat satellites is absolute cutting edge stuff.

I see ViaSat will bundle DirecTV with their system but I've not seen that in person. I assume the customer would get a ViaSat dish and separate DirecTV dish and service.

That latency is impossible with geosynchronous satellite internet. It is around 45,000 miles up to the satellite and back to Earth, and then another 45,000 miles for the return ping. That's over half a second delay added by the speed of light, not counting any processing that might take place inside the satellite as well as wherever your packet goes when it leaves the Viasat downlink to its ultimate destination.

Even web browsing is pretty latency sensitive these days - I can't imagine how bad of an experience it would be to browse with 500+ ms latency, regardless of the bandwidth. Streaming video would be OK though. But not comparable to your AT&T fiber in any way, shape or form!

There are a few companies developing low Earth orbit satellite internet which will greatly reduce the ping time, but they will need hundreds of satellites so it won't be cheap to reach fully operational status.

Reactions: JSheridan
If AT&T changes it to internet only they will basically just turn into a Comcast. The only ones getting the service will be through there wires . I don’t have AT&T I am in Comcast and Fios territory . If I wanted to add Directv it would have to come down other providers pipes. And this free ride for OTT is almost over.

ummmm yeah ok.
there is no way sat can match fiber for pings. as was said before its about physics
i think your missing a 0 on that latency 60ms is physically impossible

@ 186282 miles/sec thats still .241 sec or 241ms at a minimum

so you send up, it goes back down to the server, requests data, data flows to server up to sat, then back to you

your easily over 500ms

@ 186282 miles/sec thats still .241 sec or 241ms at a minimum

so you send up, it goes back down to the server, requests data, data flows to server up to sat, then back to you

your easily over 500ms
Unless the server is on the satellite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)