Directv to shift away from Satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
One other thing what about people who couldn't afford both TV and the internet?

That is what I was thinking that you would get the same exact DTV experience you are getting now except with AT&T Internet or 5g. I still think you would need a small box for both AT&T Internet and 5g, unless AT&T would expand their app to 2015 and the latest smart TV's?
The internet of things..will collect and sale of personal info is enough to provide free internet for all..we just wont have privacy

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I wonder what’s going to happen when all these folks move to OTT services and then their ISP says it’s now time for usage caps. The internet is not free and someone will be paying for all the additional bandwidth that these streaming services will be using.

They aren't missing New England, one team. Philly? Do you mean the same one Directv does not have? LA, Directv also missing Dodgers?
When you get to the details they are not missing as much when you see what Directv also does not have, and when you realize they are not missing all of New England for example. So yes they have a few less RSN's but taken as a whole they are not "sadly" behind.
Also when talking about sports, taking the focus off Pro and looking at College DISH looks very good.
I agree on the college part but last time I checked I was getting the dodgers on EI here in Idaho and I know a lot of ticked off Celtic fans up here that switched to D* due to that.

They will never move everyone over to Internet based Streaming ...
Theres a whole lot of people that have No interest in Streaming TV ... sure you young guys may be up on all that but the majority of people with D* are older ... I know I do stream a little, but thats only if theres something that I decide I want to watch that isn't currently on.
Theres a few generations above me that I'm sure trying to tell them they have to have internet to watch TV and you have to go out and find what you want, VS having a guide that you can see whats on ........... Many people don't want the hassles.
Millennial here and dont have one bit of desire to go to streaming

I wonder what’s going to happen when all these folks move to OTT services and then their ISP says it’s now time for usage caps. The internet is not free and someone will be paying for all the additional bandwidth that these streaming services will be using.
Google and facebook make billions off of personal info...the only thing that can make them richer is cheaper internet access for all

Google and facebook make billions off of personal info...the only thing that can make them richer is cheaper internet access for all

And who’s paying for this cheaper internet access? Google and Facebook aren’t paying for Comcast to install an OC192 interconnect to handle additional streaming data.

What if AT&T makes their OTT service just like DTV and upgrades their Internet to start at 25 mbps so that their OTT service can do 4k? The only problem going that way that I can see is if their servers go down more because they are on the internet vs their servers for SatelliteTV and the Gateway going down?

And who’s paying for this cheaper internet access? Google and Facebook aren’t paying for Comcast to install an OC192 interconnect to handle additional streaming data.
You will pay with your personal info being sold to advertisers

Reactions: pattykay
We need a mew name for "cord-cutting" as it takes wire and fiber while our DTV sat is pretty cordless. Maybe EOIP, Entertainment Over IP. Anyway, I fooled with trying it as I have two attic antennas and GB fiber. These rural coop's are great. My effort made me rethink and appreciate how effective DTV is. With the exception of Netflix and Amazon, it does it all and does it well. I am hanging around for 23rd year. Now if they kept my current setup intact while introducing the DirecTV I know and like over IP and integrated Netflix and Amazon Hulu, I'd have no beef. So far the OTT streamers I've tried disappoint. Especially all the 720p and stereo.

Reactions: Jimbo
One other thing could they have backend server capacity for 25 million internet streaming customers and not have them go down a lot?

We need a mew name for "cord-cutting" as it takes wire and fiber while our DTV sat is pretty cordless. Maybe EOIP, Entertainment Over IP. Anyway, I fooled with trying it as I have two attic antennas and GB fiber. These rural coop's are great. My effort made me rethink and appreciate how effective DTV is. With the exception of Netflix and Amazon, it does it all and does it well. I am hanging around for 23rd year. Now if they kept my current setup intact while introducing the DirecTV I know and like over IP and integrated Netflix and Amazon Hulu, I'd have no beef. So far the OTT streamers I've tried disappoint. Especially all the 720p and stereo.

I’ve been trying out Layer3 and it’s been working quite well. It streams 4K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AT&T to Introduce Broadband-Delivered OTT DirecTV Product

AT&T Communications CEO John Donovan told an industry audience Tuesday (May 15) that it plans to launch a broadband-delivered over-the-top DirecTV-branded product by the end of the year, bringing the number of subscription video products from the company to five.

At the MoffettNathanson Media & Communications Summit, Donovan said the offering would be different from its current DirecTV-branded over-the-top product DirecTV Now in that it will be basically the same DirecTV service currently available over satellite.

The new DirecTV broadband delivered offering will have the same look and feel of the satellite service, but will be a lot less expensive on the front end.

“We won’t roll a truck," Donovan said. “The CPE will be cheaper, it will be a thinner, lighter version and we will have lower operating costs. We anticipate passing a lot of those cost savings.”

Reactions: Mike1096
I wonder if DTV customers using the dish will get this new DTV service using the internet for free so you could use that for bad weather backup?

Reactions: Jimbo
AT&T to Introduce Broadband-Delivered OTT DirecTV Product

AT&T Communications CEO John Donovan told an industry audience Tuesday (May 15) that it plans to launch a broadband-delivered over-the-top DirecTV-branded product by the end of the year, bringing the number of subscription video products from the company to five.

At the MoffettNathanson Media & Communications Summit, Donovan said the offering would be different from its current DirecTV-branded over-the-top product DirecTV Now in that it will be basically the same DirecTV service currently available over satellite.

The new DirecTV broadband delivered offering will have the same look and feel of the satellite service, but will be a lot less expensive on the front end.

“We won’t roll a truck," Donovan said. “The CPE will be cheaper, it will be a thinner, lighter version and we will have lower operating costs. We anticipate passing a lot of those cost savings.”

"We won’t roll a truck," His exact words when At&t announced the future was wireless broadband. (He's correct it is) I'm begining to think the real reason for this added delivery of service is a test run, see how it is received, how viable it is etc...
As mentioned this is the fifth service, sounds like they are trying to make decisions on the future.

Reactions: Pere845 and osu1991
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)