DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
it amazes me how many people say there gonna get you tube tv for 65 a month and not expect to get a price increase. to kick it off there right back where they started from crying it costs to much. maybe they shouldn't watch t.v. if they can't afford it!!!! streaming was cheap but it went up like everything else did and will
Streaming went up FAST ...

I'm really curious to see where the ST pricing starts and what different options you have.

Streaming went up FAST ...

I'm really curious to see where the ST pricing starts and what different options you have.
streaming prices exploded!!! i'm curious so what what happens with the ST pricing to and how it's priced out.. BTW DTV is will be making some big announcements sometime in the beginning of this year and ST was a part of that talk. i won't belive it till they say it!!!

I don't think anyone expected streaming live TV to stay at the introductory prices they launched at. Those were just a bonus.

I certainly didn't. I did however take advantage of them with the savings.

They have gone up, and considering where they started, it is a dramatic increase. It is still however dramatically lower for most than your traditional sat or cable live TV alternatives, which as already has been pointed out, goes up as well.

The main advantage for me is, there are no add on equipment fees, nor is there a contract.

Since I keep live tv for sports about four months of the year, my "monthly" rate hits me about $23 a month if spread over a year. I couldn't do that with either sat company.

That said, it doesn't work for everyone. I am not sure why people seem upset about that. lol.

Reactions: Mr Tony and meStevo
streaming prices exploded!!! i'm curious so what what happens with the ST pricing to and how it's priced out.. BTW DTV is will be making some big announcements sometime in the beginning of this year and ST was a part of that talk. i won't belive it till they say it!!!
As far as D* goes, it will probably just officially announce that they still will have the Commercial account for Bars.

I don't think anyone expected streaming live TV to stay at the introductory prices they launched at. Those were just a bonus.

I certainly didn't. I did however take advantage of them with the savings.

They have gone up, and considering where they started, it is a dramatic increase. It is still however dramatically lower for most than your traditional sat or cable live TV alternatives, which as already has been pointed out, goes up as well.

The main advantage for me is, there are no add on equipment fees, nor is there a contract.

Since I keep live tv for sports about four months of the year, my "monthly" rate hits me about $23 a month if spread over a year. I couldn't do that with either sat company.

That said, it doesn't work for everyone. I am not sure why people seem upset about that. lol.
One Big thing I don't like about Streaming is that I can't get all of what I currently have on at 1 place, a Guide would be nice, if I want to watch what I do now I'd have to bounce around multiple Apps ...

D* will lose plenty more between now and next September.
I am guessing at least a extra million gone, on top of the 400,000-500,000 they lose per quarter now.

I also expect an increase in churn based on the recent price increase, right now they are basically more then double then YTTV when you factor all the fees in, even Dish is a lot less.

If the RSN is that big of a deal for you, YTTV at $65 ( I expect it to go up to $70 this year since they have not had a increase for 2.5 years), then the Bally app for $20, that is still about a $50 difference.

Other RSNs are going streaming also, for example NBC is adding their RSNs ( like Philly for example, which DirecTV does not have, but YTTV does) to Peacock for the $9.99 plan per month.

One Big thing I don't like about Streaming is that I can't get all of what I currently have on at 1 place, a Guide would be nice, if I want to watch what I do now I'd have to bounce around multiple Apps ...
You just have to get use to it, then it becomes muscle memory.

I think of changing apps like changing channels, takes seconds to do so.

I always found looking at a guide for Live TV to be quite tedious, going thru all those channels, the majority of them nothing but reruns on.

Now, I know if I go to Paramount+ or Netflix for example, that is with a purpose to watch something in particular.

Did you read the link? That’s directly from someone that works with the NFL. While google may price it at $300, who knows, it is entirely up to them.

From CNBC. Hardly obscure.
Incorrect.

The existing contracts with CBS and Fox REQUIRE it to be sold at a "premium price". Widely known for over 20 years.

But, no they are going to lose zillions of dollars and sell it to you for a couple of bucks. Because you showed 'em. No hold your breath and stomp your feet and see if they will sell you ESPN for $2.

Its not happening. Those of us who understand this business know what is going on. No amount of keyboard warrior braggadocio is going to change how this business works.

If the RSN is that big of a deal for you, YTTV at $65 ( I expect it to go up to $70 this year since they have not had a increase for 2.5 years), then the Bally app for $20, that is still about a $50 difference.
Umm, again, basic knowledge missing here.

Diamond Sports has to make a deal with each MLB team to sell the Bally app "a la carte".

So far it has deals with five MLB teams, covering four markets. NBA and NHL are better, but still not universal.

I love the whole instant fanboy thing vis YTTV, which is, BTW, LINEAR television, which the same crowd dismissed with such thought free posts as "the end of linear television" just a few weeks ago. I also love the idea, and I have seen it all over the web not just here, that somehow YTTV very liberal (and money losing) customer acquisition business practices are somehow going to continue now that it has a part of the ST package. They will not.

A la carte -> I want to have everything in one bundle for convenience.

Bundle -> Man, this is expensive, I want to be able to pay for just what I want.

:D

I like how Plex provides at least an ability to see where what I want to watch is located.

I don't think it was introductory... as much as they were the cost of business without having equipment involved. They just shuffle signals around via servers. Which is cheaper than developing, maintaining equipment as well, as well as subsidizing its cost over a period of time.

Umm, again, basic knowledge missing here.

Diamond Sports has to make a deal with each MLB team to sell the Bally app "a la carte".

So far it has deals with five MLB teams, covering four markets. NBA and NHL are better, but still not universal.
All that showed was how things are changing, strange how you do not debate my other examples, like Peacock soon having RSNs, all without having a Live TV Provider, that will be great for those who live in those RSN’s footprint.

Like Philly, which DirecTV does not carry.

You also did not debate how many customers DirecTV might lose, you must agree with me.
I love the whole instant fanboy thing vis YTTV, which is, BTW, LINEAR television, which the same crowd dismissed with such thought free posts as "the end of linear television" just a few weeks ago. I also love the idea, and I have seen it all over the web not just here, that somehow YTTV very liberal (and money losing) customer acquisition business practices are somehow going to continue now that it has a part of the ST package. They will not.
Actually if you read the Google Quarterly Reports, they are actually making money with YTTV, mostly because of targeted ads, good per channel fees deals, getting rid of certain channels, RSNs, not having legacy costs like Traditional Providers, read it costs DirecTV/Dish about $600-800 every new subscriber because of the install, equipment, paying someone to do it, etc.

Cable Companies legacy costs are the same and a lot more, maintaining lines for one example.

The biggest thing YTTV has to pay for is probably the per sub channel fees

Incorrect.

The existing contracts with CBS and Fox REQUIRE it to be sold at a "premium price". Widely known for over 20 years.
Prove it, all you do is keep putting out your opinion without providing links, I showed you a story with a link from CNBC and a quote from someone working for the NFL that disproved what you write and all you do and say is it is untrue and from a obscure website.

Again prove it, by the way, contracts change, this is a new deal and the facts have not totally come out yet.

Also, I believe someone working for the NFL that went on record then someone here that shares a DirecTV account with his landlord.
But, no they are going to lose zillions of dollars and sell it to you for a couple of bucks. Because you showed 'em. No hold your breath and stomp your feet and see if they will sell you ESPN for $2.

Its not happening. Those of us who understand this business know what is going on. No amount of keyboard warrior braggadocio is going to change how this business works.
Blah, blah, blah.

Reactions: cosmo_kramer
Incorrect.

Thats an odd and long winded way to say "no, I did not read the linked article".

Reactions: meStevo and Mr Tony
Buy a Roku device, all apps in one place and it has a search function.

All that showed was how things are changing,
In other words, you were wrong, posted anyway, got called on it, and won't admit it. Typical.
strange how you do not debate my other examples, like Peacock soon having RSNs, all without having a Live TV Provider, that will be great for those who live in those RSN’s footprint.
If they are some guy sitting in a discarded folding chair counting his gift cards and seeing if he can reuse a coffee filter.

For most people, who want linear TV, that means paying twice for the same channel. Once to a linear TV provider, again to Peacock. Peacock goes from being a supplement, at which it was pretty good to mediocre, to being a BUNDLE. Same as cable and dish. Except not a bundle of everything, but a hodgepodge of whatever material Comcast can find. Paying twice for the same thing.

And, please don't tell me "its free". If a channel or a show is in a package, you pay for it.
You also did not debate how many customers DirecTV might lose, you must agree with me.
I don't, because I know TV. Assuming, and it will, DirecTV keeps the commercial rights (BTW, there are more bars in New York than you google search said there were in the whole country), and we understand that only about 2M have ST, the maximum would be 2M.

It won't be, because the luxury customer (the kind that doesn't buy imitation Spam flavored meat substitute and brags about saving 3 cents) is going to stay with the luxury brand.

As a direct result of losing ST, maybe 100K.
Actually if you read the Google Quarterly Reports, they are actually making money with YTTV, mostly because of targeted ads, good per channel fees deals, getting rid of certain channels, RSNs, not having legacy costs like Traditional Providers, read it costs DirecTV/Dish about $600-800 every new subscriber because of the install, equipment, paying someone to do it, etc.

Fools. Linear TV is dying. You said so.

So which is it. The fanboy-ism for YTTV or linear TV is dying.

And, no YTTV does not make money. I know how to read a quarterly. Here is the latest one:

Which page says the things you claim it says? I'll wait.

But not all apps are on Roku...plus other streamers are better
Humm, I have a Roku Ultra and I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Max, Criterion, AMC+, ID+, Vudu, Movies Anywhere, Disney+, Hulu, Paramount+, Showtime, EPIX, Redbox, History Vault, Sirius XM, Curiosity Stream, Peacock, Apple TV+, Xfinity Streaming, YouTube, and even more if you want me list them. What am I missing?

Humm, I have a Roku Ultra and I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Max, Criterion, AMC+, ID+, Vudu, Movies Anywhere, Disney+, Hulu, Paramount+, Showtime, EPIX, Redbox, History Vault, Sirius XM, Curiosity Stream, Peacock, Apple TV+, Xfinity Streaming, YouTube, and even more if you want me list them. What am I missing?
High quality audio...some streamers offer better quality video..some people are satisfied with walmart..others want Macy's

Status
Please reply by conversation.