DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well ...This is Very interesting ...
I looked for Appletv as well as Apple TV on my Sony TV (Google) a week or so ago and it finds nothing ...
I also found the same results just now ...

However,
If I pick up the Sony TV REMOTE and use the Voice commands it Finds it ...
Down below, it says "Your device isn't compatible with this version."

Well then why doesn't if find a version it IS compatible with ?

Guess I STILL won't be able to get it .... and
NO, I'm not buying a Newer TV ... its only 3 years old (iirc)
This is exactly why they say not to use your TV apps and get an external device

Reactions: Ronnie-
Google TV ??????
Not at the moment you can't.
Maybe if they upload it to the Play Store eventually, but it's not available now.

Apple TV is available in the Roku channel store.
I'd really rather Not have to get a roku for every TV that I want to watch a game on.
Seeing most of my TV's have Google TV already.
Just move the Roku

does apple have any plans to have the apple+ MLB games on commercial tv?

also with NFL ST bars may not be willing to buy 8+ apple tv boxes or even more if apple trys to lockout Matrix Switchers.

Why dont we wait for an official announcement from the NFL. The link provided is just another opinion piece based on rumours and speculation..just like every other link in this thread

Reactions: SamCdbs
Just get a Roku, you are going to need it in a year and a half anyways to get NFLST.
Maybe, maybe not ....
Thats a LONG time from now .

We don't even know WHO is getting the ST
We've had articles saying D* was keeping it, Amazon was the leader to get it, now Apple is the leader to get it ....
Once its OFFICIALLY going to someone, THEN I'll look to see HOW I'll need to get it.

It could very easily be available on Google TV by then.

IF Apple gets it and does not allow it to be on Google TV .... then the NFL has made a HUGE mistake in making half of the population not able to get it ...
How is THAT any better than D* having it ?

I've got at least one more season of watching the ST before I have to figure it out.

It is the future, within the next 5 years, all the sports that is exclusive to Traditional Providers now, will be available streaming and a lot will be exclusive to streaming.

I predict that ESPN+ will be offering the same programming that is on ESPN, ESPN 2, etc in that same 5 years as contracts expire with Traditional Providers and get re-worked so ESPN can do so.

At what monthly cost, that I do not know.

A few years ago, I figured cable cos would get out of the business as they could charge as much for broadband internet as they were for TV service without the headache of negotiating carriage agreements every few years. Most of the networks are starting streaming services on their own.

Accessing ESPN channels for an occasional game is about the only use case for cable since pretty much all the cable and OTA programming are available on streaming services nowadays.

Maybe, maybe not ....
Thats a LONG time from now .

We don't even know WHO is getting the ST
We've had articles saying D* was keeping it, Amazon was the leader to get it, now Apple is the leader to get it ....
Once its OFFICIALLY going to someone, THEN I'll look to see HOW I'll need to get it.

It could very easily be available on Google TV by then.

IF Apple gets it and does not allow it to be on Google TV .... then the NFL has made a HUGE mistake in making half of the population not able to get it ...

I've got at least one more season of watching the ST before I have to figure it out.
and don't forget that apple is facing issues with there app store lock in and takeing NFL ticket into the same type of lock in may not look good in court.
And the NFL may even say you need to give to bars on stearming / cable and sat tv.

and don't forget that apple is facing issues with there app store lock in and takeing NFL ticket into the same type of lock in may not look good in court.
And the NFL may even say you need to give to bars on stearming / cable and sat tv.

Buying exclusive rights to a single product is not "lock in".

Half the population?

I'm sorry, but that's utter nonsense. Most smart TV platforms have Apple TV+ in addition to Roku and Fire TV devices. Additionally, an investment in a Roku device is minimal compared to a Directv subscription. No Google TV availability, should that be the case a year and a half from now, is meaningless.

I would join those who say wait for the details. There are lots we need to know.

- Since ST cannot make money for any provider on a cash basis, Apple would have to bundle it in some manner. Exactly what? Apple TV +? Buy a phone for a free year?

- Commercial accounts have lots of issues, most discussed upthread.

- Apple’s geo-location is easily spoofed.

- There is no way, short of unleashing millions of spies, of preventing small businesses from using their own, or any patron’s, non-commercial account.

Just what Apple is going to do with these and other issues may well be questions Apple hasn’t decided upon yet.

Half the population?

I'm sorry, but that's utter nonsense. Most smart TV platforms have Apple TV+ in addition to Roku and Fire TV devices. Additionally, an investment in a Roku device is minimal compared to a Directv subscription. No Google TV availability, should that be the case a year and a half from now, is meaningless.
I'm not going out and buying a Roku for every TV I might want to watch the game on.

Btw, do we even know, is it Apple TV (the App) or Apple Tv the hardware ???

I would join those who say wait for the details. There are lots we need to know.

- Since ST cannot make money for any provider on a cash basis, Apple would have to bundle it in some manner. Exactly what? Apple TV +? Buy a phone for a free year?

- Commercial accounts have lots of issues, most discussed upthread.

- Apple’s geo-location is easily spoofed.

- There is no way, short of unleashing millions of spies, of preventing small businesses from using their own, or any patron’s, non-commercial account.

Just what Apple is going to do with these and other issues may well be questions Apple hasn’t decided upon yet.
AND, No one knows if Apple is even going to have it ....
3 months ago it was Amazon we were talking about.
Maybe Netflix next, or Disney or ....

IF the NFL was truly trying to get it to as many as possible (like they said when the D* negotiations ended) they give it to all of them ... any that are capable and willing to get into the ST stuff.

I'm not going out and buying a Roku for every TV I might want to watch the game on.

It would be part of the service in some form, just like MLB is. Doesn't make sense to tie it to hardware.

1650388879013.png

Reactions: Ronnie-
Betting money would be on the app, which as pointed out, is available on most every streaming platform, even google tv (except in some cases of older hardware perhaps, like your tv).

How much does APPLETV+ cost ? (thinking about $175-200 ?)
Then add the cost of the MLB package and what do we have.
The apple tv app is free. Apple tv+ service is 4.99 a month, so $60 a year (although there are ways to get it for free)

Betting money would be on the app, which as pointed out, is available on most every streaming platform, even google tv (except in some cases of older hardware perhaps, like your tv).
I too am expecting it to be tied to the App, not hardware.

I just went to talk to my friends that run the High end TV store ... asked about why my TV wouldn't get Apple tv ...
We tried on thier TV's and it showed up each time.
He said it much have something to do with the version of Google OS on my TV ... (It is up to date, most recent for my set).
They said that the update IF thats what it is, would come from Apple.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

4K Events Schedule & Discussion

May Free Previews - Add Notes Here