DirecTV web site finally put up page about multiroom viewing

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This will work with non-DVR receivers, as well? H21?

I thought you needed two DVR receivers. I currently have an HR23 and an H21, I didn't think I'd be able to use this since the upstairs receiver wasn't a DVR. I must have been very mistaken... wow.

I thought you needed two DVR receivers. I currently have an HR23 and an H21, I didn't think I'd be able to use this since the upstairs receiver wasn't a DVR. I must have been very mistaken... wow.
Nope, that will work just fine.

My setup now is a wireless G connection, downstairs the HR23 is hooked to a router running DDWRT acting as a wired access point, and the upstairs receiver I could connect with cat5. What kind of results should I expect? I have not gotten the update yet with the ability to opt-in.

I figured Ohio would be one of the last areas to get the update to Opt in. Do you know if I need both of my DVR's networked or just one?

Does it allow reg HD receivers to record or just view from another DVR?

My setup now is a wireless G connection, downstairs the HR23 is hooked to a router running DDWRT acting as a wired access point, and the upstairs receiver I could connect with cat5. What kind of results should I expect? I have not gotten the update yet with the ability to opt-in.

I figured Ohio would be one of the last areas to get the update to Opt in. Do you know if I need both of my DVR's networked or just one?

If you haven't already you might want to check the 1st look that Scott put in http://www.satelliteguys.us/2080544-post12.html

Interesting. Would be a PITA to upgrade everything to N. Hassle, and cost. Unfortunately an even bigger PITA to run cat5 downstairs. :(

Interesting. Would be a PITA to upgrade everything to N. Hassle, and cost. Unfortunately an even bigger PITA to run cat5 downstairs. :(

And that's why DirecTV came up with the DECA adapters so you can use the same coax that the DBS signal is on for connecting the HD boxes for networking them.

Your regular HD receiver can watch programs from any DVR on your network and can also tell them to record programs. Telling DVDRs to record does not work if you only have DVRs, only from Non DVRs. If you have all DVRs you have to set recordings at the DVR you want to record on but you can still watch them from any other DVR

I don't think they should charge any more than a buck. Any more, I'd be better off piggy backing off of my already paid DVR monthly fee and upgrade the bedroom receiver to a DVR ... Us technical folk already did the hard part ... network the receivers! Not like we're using any more of their bandwidth.

Not like we're using any more of their bandwidth.
That's where DIRECTV and you don't see eye-to-eye. DIRECTV knows that MRV is going to require substantial support to set up and maintain.

If nothing else, they are going to have to be available to tell people its features and limitations on a surprisingly frequent basis. The product has been in limited testing for quite some time and as much as anything they have developed an understanding of what will be involved in helping people to use it.

Thats kinda what I do. I keep the light ring on low, and when I turn it on and its searing my retinas again, I know I got an update.

That's where DIRECTV and you don't see eye-to-eye. DIRECTV knows that MRV is going to require substantial support to set up and maintain.

If nothing else, they are going to have to be available to tell people its features and limitations on a surprisingly frequent basis. The product has been in limited testing for quite some time and as much as anything they have developed an understanding of what will be involved in helping people to use it.

Good thing about a few, like for Dish's EHD, is that you get support. I have no issue paying a fee for it, because it'll be handy.

Will one be able to view live tuners off the other box, or just dvr'd programs?

Read the announcement carefully.

MRV will not be available on the H20 as it lacks networking capability. The H21 and H23 are supported.

Note also that MRV in its current state is actually more "alternate room viewing" as the relationship between DVR and client is 1:1. If you were expecting to be able to raid your HR2x for content throughout the house, it doesn't work that way.

Last edited:
Read the announcement carefully.

MRV will not be available on the H20 as it lacks networking capability. The H21 and H23 are supported.

Note also that MRV in its current state is actually more "alternate room viewing" as the relationship between DVR and client is 1:1. If you were expecting to be able to raid your HR2x for content throughout the house, it doesn't work that way.

Can you explain what you mean?

Will it to work like it did when I had Dish? Everything got recorded onto one DVR, and I could watch it on either of my 2 TVs.

Can you explain what you mean?

Will it to work like it did when I had Dish? Everything got recorded onto one DVR, and I could watch it on either of my 2 TVs.

Besides the HD DVR as the server you then need either two non-DVR HD receivers on your other two TV's that are network connected back to the HD DVR. Either one of those TVs then (one at a time since the HD DVR's do only one output stream at a time) can view programs recorded on the HD DVR.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)