DirecTV web site finally put up page about multiroom viewing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
So there you have it. I especially like the part where they don't want you to network them yourself for free & want you to wait till they can charge you:(

Beta Testing Phase
  • Please note the DIRECTV Multi-Room HD DVR service is currently in its beta testing phase. During this beta phase, the service will be offered at no charge. Once the service is out of beta and has launched nationally there will be a monthly service fee for the service.

If your receivers are not currently networked please do not network them to participate in the beta testing phase. Once the service launches nationally there will be a special networking offer available to take advantage of the service.

What a rip off. They are going to charge us a monthly fee? Talk about a load of hogwash to charge for what is basically a software update. This is almost worse than Dish charging you $40 just so you can add an external HDD. More people should be outraged by this.

What a rip off. They are going to charge us a monthly fee? Talk about a load of hogwash to charge for what is basically a software update. This is almost worse than Dish charging you $40 just so you can add an external HDD. More people should be outraged by this.

That is exactly like it is, a fee to hookup a hard drive, a fee to network receivers, just another fee. :(

Personally I just hope they keep it resonable, a few dollars at most.

The fact that it is on their website hopefully indicates the current CE software should be releasing nationally in the next few days/weeks. :)

If Directv is this greedy about this, imagine what they will do after Dish raises their hardware fees for additional receivers. Directv can't raise them to $17 because their receivers only have one tv output. At most they can raise them only to $10 each per month if they want to stay in line with what Dish is charging.

maybe they could charge every time we use the remote to change the channel...or how about an additional line of sight charge. come on D* stop trying to be like cable

Nice.

Do both of them just have to be net connected, or is there more to it?

When you get the new national release of software there will be a multi room option in the setup menu's. There you will be able to Opt In to the MRV beta and another place to put in a 'friendly' name of your STB. Once you do that and if your STB's are network connected then you should be good to go.

Last I heard the feature will be $3.99 a month.

The other site has an instruction manual on how to Opt In to the beta.... wait in fact here you go looks like they have given me permission to post it here. :)

Enjoy!

Attachments

• MRV First Look.pdf
    7.6 MB · Views: 773
$3.99 I may consider, but that's about it. Anything much over $5 or so and I'd probably pass, just use my existing switch/splitter system (which costs hundreds to setup in the first place).

Eventually I wouldn't mind eliminating the component switches and splitters and just doing everything over the network.

I'd just add it gladly and drop the HD xtra pack. I keep the xtra pack as a luxury now, but barely use it. I have two HDDVR's now for the busy nights, and would love to watch all the shows on the 55", regardless of which box I recorded them on. I'll wait till its public though.

I have 2 HD DVR's... quite frankly it's not a big deal to move them between tv's. I actually don't mind having the separate receivers. That said.. MRV would be f-ing sweet..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)