DIRECTV2PC

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

michaelbudney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
I see this in the CE release notes but I couldn't find any info by searching around. Is the software available yet?

DirecTV2PC is a software client that is in field testing at dbstalk.com.

It is not available yet, and from what I know they have been adding testers pretty regularly, but I'm not sure if they'll continue to add more.

It is an open-info field test, so you can read about people's results here:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=134225
(You have to be registered at their site to see this thread).

Unfortunately, despite our efforts this field test was not open to us at Satelliteguys, which was a hot-topic a few months ago. We are participating in some other field trials now, notably the NFL Supercast testing now in progress.

Some more on DirecTV2PC: It is a software client designed in partnership with Cyberlink. It only runs on home-networks. It does not transfer data over the internet, and from what I understand, D* has no intention of going that way. It serves data from any HR2x to the PC, and can play SD, HD, OTA, anything essentially. From reading user reports, it does require a fairly high-end computer, similiar to what it would take to play blu-ray discs.

Lastly, the reason it is in the notes is that the changes to the HR2x software will impact the testers, as the media server is part of the HR2x software.

Thanks for the info. I've already upgraded my PC to one that can support up to 1080p and HDCP. I hope this doesn't take too long to get to market. My weak link will probably be the 802.11G wireless network.

Thanks for the info. I've already upgraded my PC to one that can support up to 1080p and HDCP. I hope this doesn't take too long to get to market. My weak link will probably be the 802.11G wireless network.
I hope so too. I browsed around over there and couldn't find a link to add myself to the beta test, so I'm going to post asking how once my account is fully activated. My computer is more than capable of playing back 1080p.

I hope so too. I browsed around over there and couldn't find a link to add myself to the beta test, so I'm going to post asking how once my account is fully activated. My computer is more than capable of playing back 1080p.

There was an application thread in the CE area a few months ago. It may no longer be available for new testers.

The moderator over there told me that because I haven't been active over there (regardless of being active over here) I wouldn't be selected by DTV for the beta. :(

I guess if I didn't have my pc in the same room with a tv I would really be thrilled. It's cool app and sucks up system resources like no other.

Its a shame satguys wasnt a part of this.

Well, looking at the threads "over there" on this, it might not be the worst thing. Why?

Well, one bug that people are having a right fit over is one with dual monitors. Not only won't this app work with them, it makes you disable the non-primary monitors to make this work. Not only that, but feedback from the mods there seems to point to it possibly never changing.

I'm not so sure something like that would go over well here, to be honest. We tend to not "cleanse feedback" or ask that things be "constructive."

Not blasting the guys over there, they're simply messengers.

Well, looking at the threads "over there" on this, it might not be the worst thing. Why?

Well, one bug that people are having a right fit over is one with dual monitors. Not only won't this app work with them, it makes you disable the non-primary monitors to make this work. Not only that, but feedback from the mods there seems to point to it possibly never changing.

I'm not so sure something like that would go over well here, to be honest. We tend to not "cleanse feedback" or ask that things be "constructive."

Not blasting the guys over there, they're simply messengers.
I just do not see a problem with dual monitors as a serious issue at this point.

Any word on why the non-primary display has to be disabled? If the app takes care of the displays and reverts back to the dual setup when unloaded it shouldn't be too bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts