DirecTV's Lease sucks for HD TIVO owners

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Wiggin78

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
Redding, CA
This may already be a known issue but i haven't been around here for a while. I called D* tech support because our HD Tivo has been really pixelated and it locks up. Anyway after getting the steps to format the hard drive I asked about the new HD DVR. The Tech said the current status she had was Summer or Fall release. I asked her how that was going to work with customers who currently own their HD Tivo. She told me there would be a $99 charge for the dish and receiver, installation included, because my HD Tivo installation was past the 90 day warranty. Another $99 to get upgraded to new equipment that won't be outdated for at least 5 years doesn't sound bad to me. I then proceeded to ask her if i would own said equipment since I currently own my HD Tivo equipment. She wasn't sure and wanted to get the correct answer so she put me on hold and asked her supervisor. When she came back she informed me that after the switch to the new equipment I would then be a lease only customer like everyone else. This is where I get angry. Not only will my HD Tivo that I paid $1000 for be a door stop but I now will have the opportunity to shell out $9.99 extra a month to lease new equipment. She told me to think of it as paying a monthly warranty fee. I'll always be covered under warranty should anything go wrong. I'm sorry but this really pisses me off. Customer Retention better have something better to tell me when i eventually do make the switch. What do the rest of you think?

The $99 offer is for lease only. They should give you an offer to own the MPEG-4 DVR, and it's going to be about $799. Don't expect D* to budge far from this. The lease program is designed to benefit the company and no one else. Sucks, but that's business for ya.

I have this feeling that those of us who have the HD-DirecTivos will have something like a $250 co-pay plus a monthly fee for the new DVR. In the end we eat the cost of our HD-DirecTivos AND hand over our equipment as part of the upgrade.

What will really irk me is if they offer new customers the HD DVR for $250 plus the monthly fee.

landlocked said:
I have this feeling that those of us who have the HD-DirecTivos will have something like a $250 co-pay plus a monthly fee for the new DVR. In the end we eat the cost of our HD-DirecTivos AND hand over our equipment as part of the upgrade.

Is there any reliable (or even semi-reliable) source for this "feeling"? Or is it just a guess?

I hate the lease program as well b/c of my hdtivo status. I will hold off subscribing to it until the sunday ticket goes mpeg 4 or they break (which ever comes first).

landlocked said:

What will really irk me is if they offer new customers the HD DVR for $250 plus the monthly fee.

If they do that, ANOTHER letter is going to the Florida Attorney General's office for unfair business practices and I'll copy the N. Florida Better Business Bureau!!!!

scotsmanron said:
If they do that, ANOTHER letter is going to the Florida Attorney General's office for unfair business practices and I'll copy the N. Florida Better Business Bureau!!!!

Did your last letter get any reply other than " we have received your complaint and have forwarded it to Directv for a reply." That's what my letter's response was from the State's Attorney General Ofiice.

Last edited:
What $9.99 a month fee? If your current Tivo is mirrored, your current mirror fee will become the lease fee, if it's the primary receiver on the account, there will be no lease fee other then the up front costs. Granted I still don't like that you don't own the equipment, there are no extra monthly fees to lease other then the standard mirror fees you probably already pay.

mjones1973 said:
What $9.99 a month fee? If your current Tivo is mirrored, your current mirror fee will become the lease fee, if it's the primary receiver on the account, there will be no lease fee other then the up front costs. Granted I still don't like that you don't own the equipment, there are no extra monthly fees to lease other then the standard mirror fees you probably already pay.

I just checked with Direct TV myself and the CSR told me also that the mirror fee will be replaced by the lease fee. In 3 years when the next generation receiver/PVR comes out, my bet is that Direct TV will just tell you keep your receiver - what are they going to do with a million obsolete units?

Status
Please reply by conversation.