Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTABman0

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 13, 2006
Lat 39.2°N WV Lo 81.5°W
Hello guys!:)
Here is one to pass by the experienced dudes on the site, how long does a DiDEqC switch last and what is the differance between all the 1.0 - 1.2 - 2.0 versions? We are talking about one that is let’s say, has all the appropriate weather boots on with Dielectric grease and sealed properly away from the elements. In short, the actual electronics. My system is about 3 years old now and I have noticed sometimes the dish does not get the command to move the motor and sometimes after a scan I get no bird to come into the channel list. I checked cables, they are fine & tight but on a hunch I changed the DiSEqC switch today and things are noticeably better (meter signals quality and strength) with great picture quality! I have another question, actually it is two questions. 1. My old DiSEqC 2.0 switch was a 2X1 – Receiver – LNB 1 – LNB 2 – a cheap looking thing from a Sat Place in NY with their name on it. Anyway, I changed it to a Coolsat DiSEqC 1.2 4X1 4 LNB switch. I am not using LNB 3 or LNB 4 and have weather caps on them. I heard that these or the LNB inputs on switches have to be terminated is this true? Mine seems to be working fine with just 2 LNBs connected to the thing. Question 2. On this receiver loop out thing, I know I asked one already and my question was answered about length of cable, my new question is this, I have 2 Coolsat 6000 Premiums and the worked fine with my front room (Master) looped to the other Coolsat (Slave) bedroom. I could even watch the same Satellite on both as long as they are on the same bird. Now I get my Master box in the front room locking up and restarting when turned on with the loop out cable plugged in! This is even when the bedroom system is completely off on standby and even with the power switch off in the back of the receiver! Any clues why?? The owner’s manual does not explain the operation of the loop out feature at all other than it is to loop to another. This is what the manual says in “ section 4.2 Real Panel of your users manual – page 9 of the Coolsat 6000 premium manual” and I quote: (Showing a cartoon drawn version of the back) "N0: 14 – Name: LOOP OUT – Connector: IEC 169-24 female Function: IF loop-through output from
digigal tuner". Note the way Digital is spelled guys in your manual if you own one of these. Question in short is, would it not hurt the motor or LNB or Switch if two receivers were on at the same time with 13-18V going to the LNB or does the loop through have a DC block of some sort through the Loop Out connector? Is it OK to turn on two receivers at the same time to one Dish setup or will it do damage to something? I have searched on the site for a more satisfying explanation and so far, most of the guys here say, “you SHOULD be OK” like unsure! And the manual is completely bubkus on the subject! One of the moderators or tech guys needs to get on this question! Thanks for your time guys reading this!

A Happy Note:Those weather boots are great but what happens to them after they been on there for a couple years of service? THEY ARE STUCK ON THERE AND HAVE TO BE CUT OFF! :mad:
If you use those weather rubber boots on your cables guy’s, and in time if you have to replace something, they will not come off without being cut off carefully with a razor blade! I must have not used enough DIELECTRIC GREASE inside the boot! Even enough grease I think they shrink with the sun cooking down on them! I think if you had enough grease in there you might be able to pull the boot off easily but that does not keep the outside of the boot protected from the elements! It's A Toss Up! I was not so fortunate! I need to get some more boots and re-do my setup! It is a daunting task even if your dish is easy accessible it would be even more so if you got a setup that is not easily reachable!
:eurekaRemember also.
If you need to do any maintenance to your dish, now would be the time to do so! Remember those pesky bees love the Satellite poles and small places where they can nest! :eek:
Just a FYI!!
:)Everyone Have A Great Weekend!!

Here is one to pass by the experienced dudes on the site, how long does a DiDEqC switch last and what is the differance between all the 1.0 - 1.2 - 2.0 versions?
I've had one set up for 3 years now here in Minnesota

1. My old DiSEqC 2.0 switch was a 2X1 – Receiver – LNB 1 – LNB 2 – a cheap looking thing from a Sat Place in NY with their name on it. Anyway, I changed it to a Coolsat DiSEqC 1.2 4X1 4 LNB switch. I am not using LNB 3 or LNB 4 and have weather caps on them. I heard that these or the LNB inputs on switches have to be terminated is this true? Mine seems to be working fine with just 2 LNBs connected to the thing.
I would cap them so you don't get any voltage leaks through the unused ports. I capped min with a twist on coax end that was sealed on the one side

Question 2. On this receiver loop out thing, I know I asked one already and my question was answered about length of cable, my new question is this, I have 2 Coolsat 6000 Premiums and the worked fine with my front room (Master) looped to the other Coolsat (Slave) bedroom. I could even watch the same Satellite on both as long as they are on the same bird. Now I get my Master box in the front room locking up and restarting when turned on with the loop out cable plugged in! This is even when the bedroom system is completely off on standby and even with the power switch off in the back of the receiver! Any clues why??
I want to say short in the cable. Youmight want to put a DC block on the loop out. The slave box only can see the same polarity as the main.
Question in short is, would it not hurt the motor or LNB or Switch if two receivers were on at the same time with 13-18V going to the LNB or does the loop through have a DC block of some sort through the Loop Out connector? Is it OK to turn on two receivers at the same time to one Dish setup or will it do damage to something?
lots of us use the loop out feature and it doesn't hurt to have both boxes on. The 2nd one just gets the same polarity as the main receiver does. I slave an analog box to my Coolsat 5000 and some people slave a PC card to theirs.

If you need to do any maintenance to your dish, now would be the time to do so! Remember those pesky bees love the Satellite poles and small places where they can nest
heh...no bees here in Minnesota yet. We finally hit above 50 for the first time this year ;)

Those weather boots are great but what happens to them after they been on there for a couple years of service? THEY ARE STUCK ON THERE AND HAVE TO BE CUT OFF! :mad:
If you use those weather rubber boots on your cables guy’s, and in time if you have to replace something, they will not come off without being cut off carefully with a razor blade! I must have not used enough DIELECTRIC GREASE inside the boot! Even enough grease I think they shrink with the sun cooking down on them! I think if you had enough grease in there you might be able to pull the boot off easily but that does not keep the outside of the boot protected from the elements!

Be careful with the dielectric grease. You don't want to get any of that on the center conductors or inside your switch!

At least that is the way it was with digital cable and high speed internet when I was a cable internet installer. Any grease on the center conductor or any that got inside the splitters would absolutely KILL the digital signal and the internet signal which is just part of the digital signal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)