Dish 622 - $99 Upgrade Details

teachsac said:
2. Commitment requirements:
Anyone upgrading to an MPEG 4 receiver on or after 2/1/06 is required to upgrade their HD package to one of the new HD bundled packages at the time of the upgrade. The programming will become active on the account and billing statement upon activation of the MPEG 4 receiver.
Customers who have an MPEG 4 receiver and elect not to subscribe to HD programming will receive a $6.00 per month HD enabling fee charge on their monthly statement. [/B]
Something seems inconsistent between these two positions unless it's because the first statement applies for LESSEES and the second for OWNERS. Can someone clarify?

TIA and BRgds...

I you take the $200 rebate and turn in your 921/942 you are no longer an owner but a leaser. If you buy your MPEG4 receiver outright (211, 411, 622), then there is no commitment.

If you own your receiver, you are not required to sub to the metalic or any other HD pack. You get charged the HD access fee.

Edit:

Yes, they would be charged this fee. It is not a lease fee. Essentially we do not want customers to order an MPEG 4 unit unless they have a need for it. This frees up inventory for the customers who need an MPEG 4 receiver.

Last edited:
Does Scott or anyone else know if we'll be able to do this upgrade through local retailers? Or will we be forced to call Dish directly? I am asking because my local dealer has been great, their installer is my next-door neighbor, and I want to continue to support our local small businesses. I talked to a Dish rep yesterday (very friendly, BTW) and he was unsure about this as well. Thanks

heels98 said:
Does Scott or anyone else know if we'll be able to do this upgrade through local retailers? Or will we be forced to call Dish directly? I am asking because my local dealer has been great, their installer is my next-door neighbor, and I want to continue to support our local small businesses. I talked to a Dish rep yesterday (very friendly, BTW) and he was unsure about this as well. Thanks

Based upon what I was told by my retailer (from whom I plan to get the upgrade), yes they can.

Doug

Owners of non-DVR HD receivers (5000, 6000, 811) are eligible for the standard $299 622 lease. No rebate.

As reported on this forum, many of those owners were told by CSRs in Feb & Mar that they would be eligible for the rebates. Likewise for some who reported the same for their 510 and 522 receivers. Unfortunately this is not true and those who waited will not get the $200 rebate.

rangersjay99 said:
FYI

I e-mailed Dish last week and received this response about those that lease a 942:

"Thank you for your email. How the promotion will work is if a customer owns or leases a 921/942 unit if they return it back to us, they will receive a $200.00 credit. The cost of the upgrade will still be $299.99, and the credit is issued on the account once the unit is returned. So you qualify for this offer starting April 1st."

Sincerely,

Executive Office of DISH Network

CEO Escalations

If you get a $200 "credit" to your account, does that mean it will only be applied to programming and not refunded to your credit card?

bookwalk said:
If you get a $200 "credit" to your account, does that mean it will only be applied to programming and not refunded to your credit card?

Yes. If you're on autopay, you could have a non-existant bill for a couple months. My case a month and a half.

I had a 6000.Sold it for 350.Bought a 622 for 650 so my 622 only cost me 300 and I own it.I have a 921 that I own but if you get 200 out of those you are doing good.So another 622 would cost 450 and I would own it.At $6 a month lease is 75 months or a little over 6 years.So I guess the question is, Will they have something better in 6 years?So I am still wondering which way to go.

pwherr said:
I had a 6000.Sold it for 350.Bought a 622 for 650 so my 622 only cost me 300 and I own it.I have a 921 that I own but if you get 200 out of those you are doing good.So another 622 would cost 450 and I would own it.At $6 a month lease is 75 months or a little over 6 years.So I guess the question is, Will they have something better in 6 years?So I am still wondering which way to go.

I don't subscribe to SD programming, just the Old HD Pack + Voom + locals. I save $29/mo over subscribing to Bronze with the DVR fee and lease fee. Multiply $29/mo by 18 months for the commitment period and I get $522. $522 + $100 to upgrade = $622, about the price of a 622. $522 + $300 to lease = $822. After the 18 months, I own my receiver, and the leasers don't (although they have paid for it). I did that with my 942, and I owned it. Then I sold it and used the money to pay for the 622 , and the upgrade to the 622 cost me $130. Once you've gone past the break even point, savings go in your pocket, and your upgrade costs go down. For those that want SD programming, the savings aren't very significant. For those that have multiple receivers, and have SD programming, the savings aren't significant other than the capitol earned in sellable equipment. For my case the savings are very significant.

So....if I understand the info in this thread correctly, after April 1st and before September, I can take my owned 942, and my two leased 942's, and swap them for three 622's at a net cost of 3 x $ 99. Then I will have three leased 622's (3 x $ 299) minus (3 x $ 200).

Tom Bombadil said:
Owners of non-DVR HD receivers (5000, 6000, 811) are eligible for the standard $299 622 lease. No rebate.

As reported on this forum, many of those owners were told by CSRs in Feb & Mar that they would be eligible for the rebates. Likewise for some who reported the same for their 510 and 522 receivers. Unfortunately this is not true and those who waited will not get the $200 rebate.

So they want me to pay $299, give them the 6000U AND STILL LEASE the 622?

They are smoking crack if this is the case...

Sixthgear said:
So....if I understand the info in this thread correctly, after April 1st and before September, I can take my owned 942, and my two leased 942's, and swap them for three 622's at a net cost of 3 x $ 99. Then I will have three leased 622's (3 x $ 299) minus (3 x $ 200).
Dish usually only allows one receiver upgrade per year. So, this might not work and this is the thing that will drive me to FiOS.

Scott has mentioned that Dish might allow more than one upgrade. I guess we will see on Satruday. I have a 942, two 921s and an 811 I need to upgrade if Im going to stay with Dish.

Lease Fee include - Warranty?

So the one advantage I see on this lease deal for those who own a 942 like myself is that if the unit was to FRY/BLOWUP/BLOWOUT...since you are paying a lease fee of $6 a month...you could call DISH and they would send you a new/refurb working one to replace your broken one. If I was to buy a 622 from DISH Depot...and it blew out...if it was out of warranty...SOL.

rvacs said:
So the one advantage I see on this lease deal for those who own a 942 like myself is that if the unit was to FRY/BLOWUP/BLOWOUT...since you are paying a lease fee of $6 a month...you could call DISH and they would send you a new/refurb working one to replace your broken one. If I was to buy a 622 from DISH Depot...and it blew out...if it was out of warranty...SOL.

I believe the warranty is one year on new units in either case and if you want to extend it you could go the DHPP route.

This is looking better for those with multiple receivers and that is good to hear.

The way technology seems to cycle at Dish, leasing may be the way for me to go on a second unit since it will be old hat in 2 years or less anyway and with the Platinum pack they waive the lease fee or DVR fee I believe.

DucTape said:
I believe the warranty is one year on new units in either case and if you want to extend it you could go the DHPP route....
I'm curious - does DHPP help you at all with equipment you own? I thought this just covers E*-owned equipment and provides other "benefits" such as no shipping costs for replaced units and a lower cost for house service calls if needed to $29.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)