Dish 942 Lease

swm61230

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
Well I have taken the advice of others on this site and wrote a letter to the corporate offices to be able to lease a 942 receiver. So with in 24hrs of it being sent I had a phone call from them to set me up on a lease for the 942. So I would have to say that when you have been with them for a while they will take care of you. Although you just have to point out to them that you have been a longstanding customer in good standing.

I can't wait for it to get here.

I will let everybody know how it works.

Yeah, I e-mailed and too was offered a lease deal on a 942. But I decided against it and will purchase one instead. There were several conditions that I did not like. The one that got me was that they wanted my 721 as a trade in. I was told that I had too many dual tuner receivers. I already have a 942 and 721 that I purchased and I wanted to replace the 721 with the new leased 942 and take the 721 and replace a DP7200 that I have upstairs. Instead I'll purchase a new 942 after I lease a 522 for $100 and sell my 721 on e-bay.

Their other conditions were a new year contract and that I couldn't mention the lease deal on any internet forum. Because I never took them up on their offer I guess I free to tell everyone who's a current customer that wants to lease a 942 for $250 it can be done by e-mailing ceo@echostar.com. Although I'm sure other factors such as programming level, length of service and payment history may enter into their decision.

I went with the $250 lease deal because I've never had a DVR before and have wanted to get one after seeing my nephew's 522 and because I have been quite pleased with the 811 I had. My 942 was installed on the 19th and I have no complaints at all about it. :)

Better overall SD and HD picture quality and far more even volume levels across the board on all channels (whereas the 811 varied quite a bit on volume levels on various channels).

I like the dual tuners. PIP is a feature I can now use. :) The menus are better designed, look better and are easy to navigate. The guide is a blast! The DVR functionality is a kick too!

Overall, I guess you could say I'm quite pleased.

I've had my 942 sitting in the box since last night when UPS dropped it off. Can't decide whether to activate it and take a gamble on being able to pick up local HD channels OTA or just have Comcast come drop off their HD DVR that gets me everything out of the box. I hate the idea of having to spend another $125+ to get someone to throw up an antenna after I just spent $250 on the receiver lease.

DVDDAD said:
... The one that got me was that they wanted my 721 as a trade in. ...

Their other conditions were a new year contract and that I couldn't mention the lease deal on any internet forum. ...

This is quite the opposite to my experience three weeks ago. I wrote a polite E-mail to Mr. Ergen's Office explaining that I was a long time (Well, five years.) who has two 508's Subscribed and I had not been able to even get a reply to my question about Leasing a 942, which i had posed on their www site. I mentioned I had two 5000's gathering dust in my basement.

Within an hour I had a reply. Not normally the policy, but they'd make an exception for me. No restrictions on who I could talk to, no requirement to return any equipment, just a simple and professional exchange.

As you point out, a difference in my situation compared to yours is that I had single tuner receivers and you had multiple dual tuner receivers.

It was specifically the number of dual tuner receivers that was the problem. Although all my receivers are attached to the same phone line in my house. I would understand if they couldn't verify that they were all at my house.

Dish also told me that I could not have two DVR's. I have a 625, which is pretty good, but would have taken a lease of a 942, or even another 625. They said that I could not have another DVR, period.

I am a 6yr sub @ over $110/mo

I was finally able to get the lease deal but it was not easy.

Back in june when the first wave of existing subs were getting the deal I wrote to exec. office, & received a reply to call. I called 10 days later & the person I was to talk w/ no longer worked for *E.
I was told they were no longer giving leases to existing subs, but a "deal" would be announced.

Wrote back in July, the "deal" was to purchase from *E for $699+100 for installation, when they were selling for $625 from dealers.

I was starting to get very frustrated.

September rolls around & I read people are getting the lease deal again, (remember I pay over $1300/yr to *E to watch tv) so I write to the exec. office again, was told to call in.

So I called, sure I would get the deal this time, but was turned down again.
At this point I was so close to just canceling, I couldn't understand how *E would not take my $250 for the privilege to lease a receiver, this would be like going to a car dealer & not being allowed to lease a car from them because they had sold me one in the past.

So I came to the forums & bitched about it on the lease threads, & had my email address forwarded to someone at the exec. office by a nice member here.

OK I finally got the deal & I think all is good, get the receiver on Oct. 6th, install set for Oct 29th, easy I think, just swap it for my 721 & call to activate.

Get it all hooked up, DL the SW, all is good, call to activate & *E insists that an installer call tro activate. I try 4 times & they won't budge, and the kicker is they start charging me for the receiver the day I receive it, & I can't even use it for a month.

At this point I am very upset, I work in a service bussiness & if any of my employees treated any of my customers the way I have been treated they would be seeking other employment.

So I come here and vent again and was given some more help form a great installer.

If I had to do it all over again I would switch to a dif. provider, I shouldn't have to fight this hard to hand over my hard earned money to anyone when are other options who are more than happy to take my $$$$$$.

Just my experience, I hope it is easier for everyone else to hand *E you ca$h.

Jordan

Yep, once they have your money, and the grace peroid laps, they call to see if youyr are a happy customer. They would not lease me the 942 at that time because my grace period had expired, they were not leasing them the week ealier when the system was installed. It did gice me a bad taste for the way Dish does business. I bought two OTA HDTV receivers and only miss the DVR function on my HDTV now. I ordered the Avermedia A180 HDTV OTA PCI tuner/DVR card. I hope to be recording HDTV soon. I am so happy with my OTA HDTV tuners, I willl probably dump DISH when the contract expires and keep OTA and FTA.

DVDDAD said:
Yeah, I e-mailed and too was offered a lease deal on a 942. But I decided against it and will purchase one instead. There were several conditions that I did not like. The one that got me was that they wanted my 721 as a trade in. I was told that I had too many dual tuner receivers. I already have a 942 and 721 that I purchased and I wanted to replace the 721 with the new leased 942 and take the 721 and replace a DP7200 that I have upstairs. Instead I'll purchase a new 942 after I lease a 522 for $100 and sell my 721 on e-bay.

Their other conditions were a new year contract and that I couldn't mention the lease deal on any internet forum. Because I never took them up on their offer I guess I free to tell everyone who's a current customer that wants to lease a 942 for $250 it can be done by e-mailing. Although I'm sure other factors such as programming level, length of service and payment history may enter into their decision.

Wow that is very interesting. I have a 721 as well and am getting the 942 and 522 installed at the beginning of Nov. There was nothing said about me not saying anything about this or having to give them my 721 back. If the installer try's to take my 721 it will be over my dead body. I am not going to give them a receiver that I have paid high $$$ for. When I am now paying for the privilege to lease two other receivers.

But if he does insist that he has to take a receiver back with him; he will have just won a superb, feature rich, clean, perfect working condition, been in its original box for 4 years, free from dish, 2700!!!!!!!!!!! ding ding ding ding ding
(Sarcasm, isn't it great!)

Or maybe even a 30hr 501 too unless somebody want's to buy it.

I mean how do they expect me to help pay for the lease fees if I can't sell my 721 which has been and still is in fantastic condition. Thank goodness for UPS's otherwise it might have gotten fried by now.

I wish everybody luck and as little hassel as possible.

I wrote them yesterady and got a call at home last night. I currently have a 522 and 322.

I did not get a lease deal. He politely, though frankly, told me that since I'm a relativly new customer (16 months) that they are not yeat making a profit off of me so there is no incentive for them to offer me a lease deal, this was even under the threat of me moving to directTV or TimeWarner. I guess I'll have to look and see what the others have to offer, or maybe wait a few more months and either try again, or see if Dish starts offering the lease to everyone.

My dad had his 301 receiver go dead. It was long out of warranty. They made me pay $68.19 for a swap for a working 301. If they determine that the damage to the 301 was his fault, they will void the warranty on his new receiver. I asked about how it could be his fault and Amanda didn't know what to say; so I asked her if she meant if he dropped Coke in it, or water, or took it apart, and she said yes. I don't know how many other things could be his fault, but it basically had dust on it and was never touched.

Hey, Long time DNC, can you elaborate how well the OTA HD tuner did compared to the 811's? -- Thanks

Well, I was contacted by EchoStar Executive Services yesterday evening and told "officially" they would not let me lease a 2nd 942 - I would have to purchase one. I would consider purchasing another 942, but not until E* announces their MPEG-4 Upgrade Plans. It's like the chicken and egg problem and I don't like being stuck in limbo. :(

JoeSP, I have two 811s and the OTA tuner works just as well as the one in the 942; similar, predictable results with both boxes. Of course, I need to quality this statement by saying all my OTA reception is deep-fringe (51-90 miles) and I no multipath issues.

riffjim4069, the reason I asked is that my 811 has a hard time holding onto the signal. It shows in the high 80's and consitantly drops out. It drives me crazy and I would give anything to have a HD settop that when it finds the signal it locks and does not lose that signal. Heck, my 811 will lock in the mid 60's to low 70's and not show a picture or sound. I have no idea what is going on! :(

JoeSp said:
Hey, Long time DNC, can you elaborate how well the OTA HD tuner did compared to the 811's? -- Thanks

I can't get OTA from my location unless I put up about a 300-foot tower with a Yaggi beam on it. :) All the Seattle stations are to my North, where there's this huge hill between me and 50 miles to Seattle. I've never been able to get OTA, not even when I had the 811. Sorry I can't be of more help. :(

Newbie here ... great site guys, keep up the excellant work.

I've been wanting to upgrade from my 811 to the 942 and was not aware that leasing the unit was an option. Could someone please tell me terms of the lease program....? I've been a sub for over 6 years, hopefully that would qualify me to lease the unit.

Thanks....

Bosco said:
Newbie here ... great site guys, keep up the excellant work.

I've been wanting to upgrade from my 811 to the 942 and was not aware that leasing the unit was an option. Could someone please tell me terms of the lease program....? I've been a sub for over 6 years, hopefully that would qualify me to lease the unit.

Thanks....

You would lease it just like you would if you were a new customer. It should be $250.00 upfront plus a $5.00/month lease fee. Plus if you don't subscribe to the AEP it will be an additional $5.00/month DVR fee. Plus then if you don't have it pluged into a phone line it will be an additional $5.00/month no phone line fee.

Allthough looking at my most recent bill I have not yet gotten charged for the lease fee. But as mine was just installed yesterday it might not have shown up yet.

I hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)