Dish answer to multiple hoppers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
charlesrshell,

Just out of curiosity, from one of your HWSs, can you see the programs on every HWS, or are you limited to only the other HWS connected to the same duo node? In other words, does the Whole Home Network connect between the two duo nodes?

Thanks,
Dave

Yes, from one HWS you can see programs on every HWS. The Joey can see programs on all four Hoppers. This is possible because of a jumper coax cable connecting the two Duo Nodes. If there is no jumper coax you are limited to the other HWS connected to the same Duo Node, with the exception of the Joey. The Joey can see the two Hoppers connected to the same Duo Node. In the pics you can see the Hopper selection drop down menu from each Hopper and Joey. In the Hopper diagram pic you can see how the jumper coax is connected between both Duo Nodes. The diagram is accurate with the exception I have added an OTA module with rabbit ears to the second bedroom Hopper.

Great Room Drop Down Menu.jpgMaster Bedroom Drop Down Menu.jpgKitchen Drop Down Menu.jpgBedroom Drop Down Menu.jpgJoey Drop Down Menu.jpgHopperDiagram-PriJPEG-PTAT.jpgHopperHeadEndPri.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, from one HWS you can see programs on every HWS. The Joey can see programs on all four Hoppers. This is possible because of a jumper coax cable connecting the two Duo Nodes. If there is no jumper coax you are limited to the other HWS connected to the same Duo Node, with the exception of the Joey. The Joey can see the two Hoppers connected to the same Duo Node. In the pics you can see the Hopper selection drop down menu from each Hopper and Joey. In the Hopper diagram pic you can see how the jumper coax is connected between both Duo Nodes. The diagram is accurate with the exception I have added an OTA module with rabbit ears to the second bedroom Hopper.

Our installer came to put in 2 Hoppers with Sling. The install CSR had no problem ordering two other than the issue that they wanted to get us Joey's with each that we did not require. These were cancelled by the installer and we weren't charged. We wanted one installed in our home and one in our auto body shop which is about 800 feet from the house. We asked about running coax from one dish to the shop but of course wasn't feasible signal loss wise. We didn't have Ethernet out there either and the WiFi in the Hopper wouldn't reach the home router. So we had to pay $70 for a second dish to mount on the shop. Not a big deal at all. I can understand Dish not wanting to cover 2 dishes on the install bill. Anyone else have them do this?

The installer had no problem putting in the second unit on different building on same property. Didn't mention anything about it being against any rules. We didn't figure it would be since we have a friend with a Hopper with sling installed in main home and their cabin 250 miles away on the same account. Shame is they only use it maybe 60 days a year and pay for it year round. They didn't want to keep activating/deactivating it for weekend trips or don't care about the extra DVR fee I guess.

Thanks for the detailed response. I had asked one of the DIRT about adding a third Hopper (purchased, of course) and mentioned that I knew I'd need to use some combination of DPP44, DPP33, and a solo node. His response back was it could be done, but with the limitation of it wouldn't communicate with the other two Hoppers.

I had always wondered what your avatar was; now I know.

Thanks again,
Dave

Thanks for the detailed response. I had asked one of the DIRT about adding a third Hopper (purchased, of course) and mentioned that I knew I'd need to use some combination of DPP44, DPP33, and a solo node. His response back was it could be done, but with the limitation of it wouldn't communicate with the other two Hoppers.

I had always wondered what your avatar was; now I know.

Thanks again,
Dave

You are welcome. Glad to help.

View attachment 93696

Definitely an UberInstallation and very, very clean. Good to see DPP44s in action again.

Is your monthly Hopper/Joey bill 4 x $10 + 1 x $7?

Tx for the pics & diagram.

Welcome. 1st Hopper/DVR Service $10, 3 Hoppers x $7, + 1 Joey x $7. Total $38.

And about to go up what, $17 in equipment fees alone? Almost 45%, rather suddenly. But you do have a very fancy setup.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

And about to go up what, $17 in equipment fees alone? Almost 45%, rather suddenly. But you do have a very fancy setup.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I have the same "grandfathered" fees (4H/1J) and from what I'm reading there will be a $5 "credit" for 18 months for an additional Hopper. The $10 fee will still go up to $12, and based on my interpretation of the wording there will only be a credit for Hopper #2. So I predict a $12 increase. Hopefully I'm wrong.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=93586&d=1387647023

I have the same "grandfathered" fees (4H/1J) and from what I'm reading there will be a $5 "credit" for 18 months for an additional Hopper. The $10 fee will still go up to $12, and based on my interpretation of the wording there will only be a credit for Hopper #2. So I predict a $12 increase. Hopefully I'm wrong.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=93586&d=1387647023

I think in the past while still on VIP722s Dish did the credit thing for my additional three 722s. Hope they do it again for our Hoppers. If not, I think I will cut back on some of my programs.

18 months of credit gives me time to either drop the 2nd hopper off my account come June of 2015 or trade in both hoppers for the newest generation of the hopper will be that year. Right now I will save the $7.00 joey fee off of my account by using a $30.00 monoprice 3-d hd splitter for my living room and computer room tvs.

I think in the past while still on VIP722s Dish did the credit thing for my additional three 722s. Hope they do it again for our Hoppers. If not, I think I will cut back on some of my programs.

Ah, good to know. Sure do hope that is the case again.

As for the person many posts back worried about them not putting the order through without a Joey: Don't worry about this. When I had my Hopper installed 6 months ago they couldn't put the other through without adding at least 1 Joey and just told me to have the installer cancel it off the order when he arrived. He swapped my dish to a 1000.2 with the new LNBs that have the switch built in, installed the "Solo Node" device inside (I prefer to have as little as possible outdoors), and that was that. Worked like a charm.

So what you need to do is call them, get setup on their "protection plan" for $7, then ask them for the number of a local installer and get it scheduled. You can have your multiple hoppers (up to 4) installed inside your house. Problem solved. No self install required. Just make sure when you call the local installer they know how to do the switches properly to feed your 3 hopper properly. Some of the new installers are still confused by the Hopper new LNB and switch setup. Since you have/had 6 total tuners with your two 612's and one 722, for the same price you will now have 9 tuners. Or 12 if you add the over the air tuner to each one. :) As Charlesrsehll showed in his awesome setup, anything is possible
<snip> The diagram is accurate with the exception I have added an OTA module with rabbit ears to the second bedroom Hopper.

View attachment 93695View attachment 93696

As for the rest of this topic about multiple Hoppers on same property:
I just got off the phone with them an hour ago to order a 2nd Hopper with Sling because I want to install it on my shop (aka man cave). Which is on the same property. Since my shop is about 115 feet away from the house dish, and I'm certainly not going to bury coax out there the CSR suggested I just put another dish on the shop itself. Their rule is that you cannot install on a building over 200ft away. I asked if I'd have to buy the 2nd dish and she said no, not if I sign up for the protection plan, then just turn off the protection plan after the install was done. So that saves me $40 plus the install fee which is nice. I also have a 211 on my motor home and that isn't an issue either. I told her I don't have a phone line or internet out there and if the Hopper would still work. I was told the only thing is it won't be able to download PPV/web content over the internet but of course all the normal satellite stuff would work, except no sling capability obviously. But I'm still going to get the unit with Sling just in case I ever run a wireless network bridge out there (I KNOW my WiFi won't reach. I have metal siding on the house and metal shop) I did ask her if it was ok to take my (future) shop Hopper up with me to my cabin for the weekends and she said yes and suggested I buy a tailgater dish.

So that is the latest info I got. Going to get my 2nd HWS ordered this week and mount a second dish on a pole. Looking forward to having my own dish in my "man cave" out of the house.

Last edited:
As for the person many posts back worried about them not putting the order through without a Joey: Don't worry about this. When I had my Hopper installed 6 months ago they couldn't put the other through without adding at least 1 Joey and just told me to have the installer cancel it off the order when he arrived. He swapped my dish to a 1000.2 with the new LNBs that have the switch built in, installed the "Solo Node" device inside (I prefer to have as little as possible outdoors), and that was that. Worked like a charm.

So what you need to do is call them, get setup on their "protection plan" for $7, then ask them for the number of a local installer and get it scheduled. You can have your multiple hoppers (up to 4) installed inside your house. Problem solved. No self install required. Just make sure when you call the local installer they know how to do the switches properly to feed your 3 hopper properly. Some of the new installers are still confused by the Hopper new LNB and switch setup. Since you have/had 6 total tuners with your two 612's and one 722, for the same price you will now have 9 tuners. Or 12 if you add the over the air tuner to each one. :) As Charlesrsehll showed in his awesome setup, anything is possible

As for the rest of this topic about multiple Hoppers on same property:
I just got off the phone with them an hour ago to order a 2nd Hopper with Sling because I want to install it on my shop (aka man cave). Which is on the same property. Since my shop is about 115 feet away from the house dish, and I'm certainly not going to bury coax out there the CSR suggested I just put another dish on the shop itself. Their rule is that you cannot install on a building over 200ft away. I asked if I'd have to buy the 2nd dish and she said no, not if I sign up for the protection plan, then just turn off the protection plan after the install was done. So that saves me $40 plus the install fee which is nice. I also have a 211 on my motor home and that isn't an issue either. I told her I don't have a phone line or internet out there and if the Hopper would still work. I was told the only thing is it won't be able to download PPV/web content over the internet but of course all the normal satellite stuff would work, except no sling capability obviously. But I'm still going to get the unit with Sling just in case I ever run a wireless network bridge out there (I KNOW my WiFi won't reach. I have metal siding on the house and metal shop) I did ask her if it was ok to take my (future) shop Hopper up with me to my cabin for the weekends and she said yes and suggested I buy a tailgater dish.

So that is the latest info I got. Going to get my 2nd HWS ordered this week and mount a second dish on a pole. Looking forward to having my own dish in my "man cave" out of the house.

Your 1st HWS that is connected to the Internet will supply the 2nd HWS with Internet through the moca line. No extra net or wifi needed.

Your 1st HWS that is connected to the Internet will supply the 2nd HWS with Internet through the moca line. No extra net or wifi needed.

not unless the two are connected in that way, and he isn't going to bury coax 115 feet which I know I would and then some. I had to do this to a building I have on property a few years ago. I just went and rented a digger and buried 100 feet of 3 inch pipe and pulled 3 coax, 1 ethernet, 1 phone and wire to pull anything else thru I needed later. The cost was very low and made everything nice and clean for anything in the future. I'd rather do this than have two satellites but the cost is cheaper and makes for an easy install as long as the tech is getting paid for what is basically a new connect as it requires a new satellite and not just get paid for a 1 room upgrade which is exactly something Dish would try to do.

Also to Aaron, getting a tailgater dish as in another whole dish on a pole in a bucket or tri-pod would be fine just make sure you get another node. If you are thinking a tailgater as in one of those automatic jobs then think again they will NOT work with the hopper..only a 211.

18 months of credit gives me time to either drop the 2nd hopper off my account come June of 2015 or trade in both hoppers for the newest generation of the hopper will be that year. Right now I will save the $7.00 joey fee off of my account by using a $30.00 monoprice 3-d hd splitter for my living room and computer room tvs.
I had a 15 minute debate with a CSR about how many TV's I had in my house and that I have an HDMI splitter in the wiring closet with the (then 722, was ordering Hopper) telling him I didn't need Joey's. "No sir, that is not possible. You see, you cannot view on other TV's without Joeys." -- Me: "Well, I've had my 722 setup this way for 6 years now.. HDMI goes into an HDMI splitter, then HDMI cables to every TV in the house" him: "No sir, I'm afraid that is not possible" Sigh.. :confused: (facepalm). I once helped wire a high end house with 12 HDTV's fed by a two 722's into an HDMI matrix splitter, including one 22" HDTV mounted in a bathroom tub wall behind glass (and marine water proof speakers for the audio - quite cool). I was glad that last CSR I talked to knew her stuff. She even knew about wireless HDMI distribution (fairly new).
As DVR expander said, there will be no connection between the two. And our house has metal siding, metal tinted windows, and the shop is a huge chunk of metal.. Our laptop barely gets WiFi 20 feet from the house with a full power high end dual band wireless router. However, if anyone comes across this need. I can make a recommendation. Try a pair of Engenius long range wireless N150 2.4Ghz bridges (ENS200). $60 a piece and goes non-line-of-site really well being wireless-N. I setup a pair of these in about 20 minutes to bridge some IP cameras on our farm over 3 miles away at 40mbit/sec. Would work great for this too, assuming I think spending $120 will be worth it to connect it to my home network (and other HWS).

Also, dvrexpander: Thanks for the info on tailgater not working for hopper. For the price of the 1000.2 dish, I'll just put one up at the cabin if I need to I guess.
user-offline.png

Last edited:
IF you own your own receivers like I do and can install them yourself, you don' t have to deal with the uninformed csrs . That is one of the reasons I joined this board years ago, so I could learn all about satellite tv , how to install it . And you would be surprised how much I learn here, before the csrs do at DISH.

IF you own your own receivers like I do and can install them yourself, you don' t have to deal with the uninformed csrs . That is one of the reasons I joined this board years ago, so I could learn all about satellite tv , how to install it . And you would be surprised how much I learn here, before the csrs do at DISH.
The problem is, Dish Receivers are notoriously unreliable long term. My mom has been thru 4 722's in 6 years. Brother thru 3. Other brother thru 2 and 3 have failed me. My guess is it is usually the hard drive. But design wise, Dish is pretty poor. They design their units with lower cost hotter processors and don't vent/cool them worth a darn. I've lost long saved shows many times over because of failures. They put the minimum processing power in and let them cook. I recommend to everyone that they put a laptop cooling fan on top (or bottom depending on model) of their unit to keep it properly cool. It is as if they designed the units in 65 degree F test labs and never consider that someone may have a hot home or media closet. That reminds me of something funny, a few months ago my dish came up and said "Your dish has reached its maximum temperature of 140 degrees (it was something like that) and will be usable once the temperature comes down. Current temperature 70 degrees" LOL. Someone missed some programming logic on that one.

Conclusion on this, I lease because I don't trust their hardware to not fail. As for installing them myself, I've done about 30 systems for friends and family (not as a profession, just because it is easy). I always run the coax thru the roof and down into the house. Something the installers really don't like to do without you demanding it and agreeing you won't hold them responsible for a future leak. I just don't like wires running down my outsides walls and drilled in. Neat and clean is for me.

I had a Hopper and Joey installed this past week. We discovered that the combination was insufficient for our needs. Our timers and recordings were all mixed together and we were down one tuner; it was more confusing. Then we discovered that removing the Joey and adding a Hopper was what we needed. I called Dish and they sent a tech from the local company who happily removed the Joey (24 hrs after it had been installed), discovered we had only two connections on the roof, so he removed the two existing dishes, replaced with one with the proper number of connections, no charge for any of that and $5 per month for the Hopper, which was $3 less than our previous bill (922 and 722) plus now we have 6 tuners total (another one , I think, when the OTA module arrives) plus another 1.5tb recording space, no muss, no fuss, Dish arranged it without any concerns or objections. And, I had talked to CSRs, one to see if I could do it and what it would cost, and another to actually place the order. We now have 2 Hoppers, no Joeys.

I went to the Dish Network forum and asked about three hopper systems and below is the reply from Dish tech.....

TECH Reply -"We are not able to setup 2H/0J, or 3H/0J in our system. There are some cases where we can do 1H/0J, but otherwise each Hopper needs at least 1 corresponding Joey (so we can do 1H/2J or 2H/2J)."

Then I replied below and with the techs reply.

rdeejr wrote:
Hmmmm. That's odd. I know people who have two hoppers and no joeys. I also read on satellite guys forum of one user with three hoppers on the same account.
This is the frustrating part of upgrading.

TECH Reply - "I am aware that some customers do have this on their account. These customers either went through a retailer, or purchased and self installed the equipment. We do not have the option to set them up in our system."

Self install - REALLY.

If you can't get a correct answer from the source there is a break down. I currently have two 612 and one 722 for a total of six tuners. Why would I want one hopper with three tuners??? I read on forums so I know different but what about all the others who do not know and are getting talked into something they will not be happy with.

Who would have ever thought that upgrading a satellite receiver would be like buying a used car - It all depends on who you talk too.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts