Dish Customers With MPEG-4 HD Receiver(s) and/or DVR Will Have 1080p Capability

FCom911

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 25, 2008
DISH "Turbo Charges" HD Upgrades
July 31, 2008

(SkyReport) This morning, DISH Network announced plans to enhance its high-def services, offering HD programming delivered by the DBS platform in 1080p resolution thanks to the company's rollout of TurboHD.

DISH Network said the HD push will be supported by a proprietary "turbo-charged" system upgrade that, starting Friday, will be rolled out to all MPEG-4 HD and HD DVR receivers. The upgrade activates a feature in the set-top boxes that allows for the output of 1080p programming, the company said.

By early August, all DISH Network customers with MPEG-4 HD and HD DVR receivers will have set-top boxes enabled to display 1080p content.

Also, as previously announced, DISH will launch 17 additional national HD channels Friday, surpassing its goal of reaching 100 national HD channels by the end of the year.

The satellite TV company said it plans to nearly double its national HD channel count in less than one year and offer up to 150 national HD channels by the end of 2008. The effort is made possible by the recent launch of EchoStar XI.

1080p STB output... This is something I'd been asking for, for quite a while... I doubt, I personally had any impact, but perhaps others were asking as well... and maybe, the combined requests finally had an impact...

Perhaps this will fix the HDMI issues I have with between my 722 and my Samsung LN-S4696D. One can dream after all.

Ted

Ted, I have the LN-S4695 Samsung and both this one and the LN-S4696 LCD televisions had a firmware upgrade that supposedly solves the HDMI issues with these sets. You can get a link to the update and further discussion on avscience.com :

OFFICIAL Samsung LN-S4095/4695/4096/4696 Owners Thread - AVS Forum

I have a VIP722 and have never had any problems with my Samsung with the latest firmware on the LCD.

As you can see in that thread, I was unable to get my 722 working correct over HDMI. I have sent you a PM to see if you have any other pointers.

Thanks!
Ted

According to Dish's website....

Resolution formats. Resolutions may be 480, 720 or 1080 vertical progressive lines of resolution or 480 and 1080 interlaced lines of resolution. Our receivers do not support 1080p. Instead, use 720p for fast action, or 1080i for other programming.

There is no need or use for the 1080p update for non DVR receivers, since the 1080p is delivered to the hard drive of the reciever, in the background, to be played later - no live 1080p via satellite.

There is no need or use for the 1080p update for non DVR receivers, since the 1080p is delivered to the hard drive of the reciever, in the background, to be played later - no live 1080p via satellite.

That's why I asked... I figured regular MPEG-4 HD boxes will not be updated, at least not now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)