Dish dropping all RSN's (No they are not)

I called last night while Slinging Hawks game after seeing the blue banner.....If no CSN Chicago.....Im gone with 2 dish accounts..... Hope those CSR pass the messages to the higher ups....

I called last night while Slinging Hawks game after seeing the blue banner.....If no CSN Chicago.....Im gone with 2 dish accounts..... Hope those CSR pass the messages to the higher ups....
That's interesting, I'm just the opposite. I see Dish as trying to keep price increases from going up (for their own sake, not ours) and CSN is the 'bad guy' in my view. CSN running crawls telling viewers to call Dish and complain is low-ball and, in my view, a disgusting negotiation tactic.

From the Tribune article a few posts up, CSN said "We are seeking to license our regional sports networks to Dish on the same terms that other distributors have accepted for this programming." That's part of the problem, the other carriers ponied-up their money and now CSN is telling Dish that it's their turn to do the same. I appreciate Dish for trying to reign-in costs because we all know that these increases are passed right on to us.

I spoke to a CSN rep and told them that if they pull their stations from Dish I'll just put an antenna in my attic and get all the games for free. I'd rather spend the money on a good antenna then send it to them.

That's interesting, I'm just the opposite. I see Dish as trying to keep price increases from going up (for their own sake, not ours) and CSN is the 'bad guy' in my view. CSN running crawls telling viewers to call Dish and complain is low-ball and, in my view, a disgusting negotiation tactic.

From the Tribune article a few posts up, CSN said "We are seeking to license our regional sports networks to Dish on the same terms that other distributors have accepted for this programming." That's part of the problem, the other carriers ponied-up their money and now CSN is telling Dish that it's their turn to do the same. I appreciate Dish for trying to reign-in costs because we all know that these increases are passed right on to us.

I spoke to a CSN rep and told them that if they pull their stations from Dish I'll just put an antenna in my attic and get all the games for free. I'd rather spend the money on a good antenna then send it to them.
I don't know where you live, but RSNs are not available OTA around here.

I wonder if CSN is requiring new contracts to include the in-market streaming rights. For the Bulls games, CSN Chicago has been advertising the fact that you can now stream the pre/post game as well as the game live. And as of right now, only Comcast and U-Verse allow the in-market streaming. If the new contracts require in-market streaming, I could see why Dish would drop the RSN's. The cost of the RSN then paying for streaming rights for such a small number of the population wouldn't make financial sense at all. I assume the in-market streaming would cost more.

"Regional sports networks also skew higher in affiliate revenue. CSN Chicago gets average monthly fees of $3.25 per subscriber, which ranks 11th among regional sports networks, according to SNL Kagan. CSN Mid-Atlantic ranks second at $4.60 per subscriber, while CSN Bay Area is fifth at $3.53 per subscriber." Also mentions that the fees the companies pay are the main source of income, advertising revenue is second.
With the blood already being squeezed out of the turnip, these high-priced channels better start figuring out how to get the vast majority of their revenue from advertising instead of double-dipping, or they will die off WHEN providers start dropping them for being too costly.

Well then I'm sure DISH will just pay what CSN wants then. Dispute over.

Reactions: ChadT41
I wouldn't say they don't care about sports. I would say they don't care about being gouged. Sports are seasonal, yet they rate the highest fees across the board, most these RSNs(notice most and not all), only have one or two teams they support. That's ridiculous. If they can't afford their contracts for players and other team expenses, before gouging, then they need to pay the players less. Now I understand they are shared usually by companies like Comcast and Fox, but C'Mon. How much are customers willing to pay? I love sports, but they would be my first channel choice to drop. I honestly wish instead of sports channels, we could go old school and just have individual games on specific channels throughout the seasons. I like NBA on TNT because they can schedule around that. And you still get quality programming.

I wouldn't say they don't care about sports. I would say they don't care about being gouged. Sports are seasonal, yet they rate the highest fees across the board, most these RSNs(notice most and not all), only have one or two teams they support. That's ridiculous. If they can't afford their contracts for players and other team expenses, before gouging, then they need to pay the players less. Now I understand they are shared usually by companies like Comcast and Fox, but C'Mon. How much are customers willing to pay? I love sports, but they would be my first channel choice to drop. I honestly wish instead of sports channels, we could go old school and just have individual games on specific channels throughout the seasons. I like NBA on TNT because they can schedule around that. And you still get quality programming.

I agree, but they (Dish) are gouging the customer by not offering a discount in the DMAs where they do not carry an RSN.

If I'm not mistaken, aren't they charging the customer extra like directv does when there are 2 RSN's in a DMA?

The same discount should apply in reverse.

The way I see it, is they offer a pckage with certain number of channels, as long as they offer that many channels or more, then they owe no discount. They say you'll get 120 channels, then as long as you get 120 channels, then you are getting what you pay for. Period.

No, I haven't seen where Dish charges extra (RSN fee) for additional RSNs in a DMA. Can anyone give an example?

I never realized how expensive these RSN's were until I looked it up...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/05/15/the-most-expensive-regional-sports-networks/
http://blogs-images.forbes.com/mikeozanian/files/2014/05/rsn-rights-fees.png

Approximately:
Fox Sports North - $4.65
CSN Mid-Atlantic - $4.60
NESN - $4.25
CSN Philly - $4.20
Sportsnet LA - $3.85
Root Sports Pitt - $3.70
Fox Sports Detroit - $3.55
CSN Bay Area - $3.55
Root Sports Northwest - $3.45
YES Network - $3.40
CSN Chicago - $3.25 (from Trib article)

ESPN is on average $6.04 and TNT is second at $1.44 per subscriber according to the Tribune link I posted earlier. If Comcast is looking for a 10% increase like they claim, that puts CSN Mid Atlantic over $5.00 per month - $5.06 by SNL Kagan Numbers. If it is a 40% increase like Dish is claiming, that puts CSN Mid Atlantic at $6.44.

I wish that ALL RSNS were only available by ala cart. Just like top 120 is without an rsn. Dropped my bill $15.00 a month by dropping down to top 120 without rsn , from the top 200 with an rsn. That way the RSNs could charge as much as the market will bear and those that really want it can pay for it. I for one , wish ALL sports were available by premium sports pack or by ala cart basis. It would make the top programming packs without sports much cheaper. They do this with the premium movie packs , they should do the same thing with the sports packs too.
I like your way of thinking but I live in NY and I wish I could get $15 off for no RSN's. :eeek

I never realized how expensive these RSN's were until I looked it up...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/05/15/the-most-expensive-regional-sports-networks/
http://blogs-images.forbes.com/mikeozanian/files/2014/05/rsn-rights-fees.png

Approximately:
Fox Sports North - $4.65
CSN Mid-Atlantic - $4.60
NESN - $4.25
CSN Philly - $4.20
Sportsnet LA - $3.85
Root Sports Pitt - $3.70
Fox Sports Detroit - $3.55
CSN Bay Area - $3.55
Root Sports Northwest - $3.45
YES Network - $3.40
CSN Chicago - $3.25 (from Trib article)

ESPN is on average $6.04 and TNT is second at $1.44 per subscriber according to the Tribune link I posted earlier. If Comcast is looking for a 10% increase like they claim, that puts CSN Mid Atlantic over $5.00 per month - $5.06 by SNL Kagan Numbers. If it is a 40% increase like Dish is claiming, that puts CSN Mid Atlantic at $6.44.
I wish I had a business where it doesn't mater that the majority could care less about my product but I could still charge what ever I wanted. :eeek

But they wonder why more and more are pulling the plug.

I would've thought FS Detroit would be more since they cover 3 pro teams.

I have heard that that the contracts with the wings and Tigers expire in the next few years I would expect the illitches to want a big deal especially with the contracts on the tiger team and I think costs will sky rocket after the next deal

Reactions: AZ.
I don't know that dish doesn't care about sports? There college offerings have to be up there at the top I would think