DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

NEVER!!

Government intervention is asking for rigid bureaucrats to impose their ideas on the rest of us.

Yeah, who needs those pesky interventions like child labor laws, stop signs, mine safety regulations, air bags, policemen, firemen, teachers, anti trust laws, FDIC, banking regulations, food & drug regulations...:rolleyes:

I can confirm that Amazon does have episodes available the next day. Unless AMC changes the rules with Amazon, Breaking Bad Season 5, Episode 1 will be available to purchase on July 16th.

Mochuf,
Thank you for that info. I'm hoping they continue with that because I'm really upset that I won't get to see the final season of Breaking Bad. And I don't want to have to wait 6 months or a year after everyone I know had seen it.
Ghpr13:)

Yeah, who needs those pesky interventions like child labor laws, stop signs, mine safety regulations, air bags, policemen, firemen, teachers, anti trust laws, FDIC, banking regulations, food & drug regulations...:rolleyes:
So you consider television viewing as important as those things? Man, you need to get your priorities straightened out. Needless regulation is needless. I'd actually consider hsi internet/phone infrastructure and safeguard regulations for it far more important than tv.

So you consider television viewing as important as those things? Man, you need to get your priorities straightened out. Needless regulation is needless. I'd actually consider hsi internet/phone infrastructure and safeguard regulations for it far more important than tv.

I guess someone needs an education in the art of sarcasm. I do have my priorities straight. I was merely pointing out the absurdity of the knee jerk anti government response from the libertarian / tea bagger / anarchists of the world. The ability of a people to enact legislation to protect their interests over the interests of the powerful is a cornerstone of democracy and should not be feared.

I have been with Dish for 6 years - I also get my internet through them (Wild Blue). We live in the country but only 7 miles outside a major town, but the only option we have is Dish or Direct TV. I called Dish's regular contact number on 7/6 to let them I was unhappy with losing AMC...got the regular company line of "we're sorry" but to compensate we replaced it with movie channels! (all said in a really HAPPY voice!) Yeah, told him that wasn't going to cut it....I want my Walking Dead!! He advised I could stream it through my game system....but I don't have one....and nothing "streams" on my computer so I doubted it would stream on my TV. He then sent me over to the broadband dept. to see if they could upgrade me....they picked up immediately. Girl was very nice...said there was an upgrade available in my area...it would just be a $149 installation/activation fee! Yeah, I said that wasn't going to fly! Would they consider waiving the fee? She said she couldn't do that. I then said I would probably have to look elsewhere for my TV service....that got her attention! She sent me to the Loyalty Rep, who also picked up immediately! (Was I just being lucky that day?? Sounds like most people on this thread had to wait forever for someone to talk to!) I spoke to Nancy and let her know what my problem was...and that fact that I have been with them a long time and spend a LOT of money each month between TV and internet. I asked her if she could waive the installation fee and she said YES immediately! YAY!! Now I needed something to stream it through. I first asked if they would send me some kind of game system that would work (knowing full well she probably wouldn't go for that!)....she laughed and said no. Then I asked for a Roku.....she said she would ask her supervisor. When she came back she said he had just ordered it for me and it would come within 5 days (I'm assuming that means business days. Haven't gotten it yet and tomorrow is day 5, so we'll see.) Anyways, she set up the installation for 7/9 and I hung up feeling pretty good about that! Dish did come on Monday and switched out my internet dish and modem....things are working much, much faster now and videos and movies stream seamlessly, even through my wireless. Now I'm just waiting for my Roku. Fingers crossed that it shows up soon.

I think what you can get Dish to do for you has a lot to do with how you ask for it. They knew I was upset, but I asked nicely for everything I wanted and I got it. If you start out being nasty and demanding things, they are not going to be very helpful. I work in customer service too, and I know that anyone who comes in and starts out nasty isn't going to get too far with me. So try being nice when you talk to the Dish people!!

Now my question is....is Amazon the only way to see new episodes of the AMC shows or does Netflix or anyone else carry them too? And with Amazon, do you have to pay for each episode? How long after they air do they have them on Amazon? I'm thinking if I have to pay for episodes, I'm going to have to go back to Dish and negotiate (nicely of course!) for a credit on my monthly bill to cover that.

Thanks for any and all help anyone can give me!

Only one problem. The new WildBlue which is now called Exede allows 10GB a month of data usage on the basic plan. You won't be able to stream very much at all before hitting the limit. From what I hear they plan to start enforcing the limits in August. Streaming video on a satellite connection is just not practical. And now you probably have a new 2 year contract and at least $5 more a month on your bill too.

I called today and was told they dropped AMC to save me money and that my only option was another provider. At least DirecTV is working on an agreement with Viacom and not telling their customers to "go to the other satellite company, cable, or where ever. We don't care."

Oh well, I guess I will be researching D* and Charter. Thanks Dish for showing me the loyalty I have shown you all these years.

What are the download rates on Excede? It's gotta be better than streaming through 3Mb (which usually runs about 2.5) DSL...

Oh it's fast, usually about 12 Mb, it's so fast that you can use your entire monthly data allotment in probably a couple of hours. Then they slow you down to 128K until your next billing date.

I guess someone needs an education in the art of sarcasm. I do have my priorities straight. I was merely pointing out the absurdity of the knee jerk anti government response from the libertarian / tea bagger / anarchists of the world. The ability of a people to enact legislation to protect their interests over the interests of the powerful is a cornerstone of democracy and should not be feared.
Honestly, sarcasim is hard to gauge with forum postings. So sorry about that. But there are people who want government regulation over everything. Regulation is important, but not over every little detail. And regulation over tv content providers contract negotiations is, IMO, needless regulation.

Oh it's fast, usually about 12 Mb, it's so fast that you can use your entire monthly data allotment in probably a couple of hours. Then they slow you down to 128K until your next billing date.
If I couldn't get internet by means other than terribly capped satellite or 3G/4G service, then I would probably go with Hughesnet. Slower than Exide (although they did just launch a new tech sat), but they do have a upcapped time period late at night. Still not that helpful for streaming, but very helpful to download video from Amazon to watch later. I know rentals and purchases can be downloaded on pcs, mobile devices and Tivos. I don't know about the free Instant Videos included in Prime membership (I don't have a membership) though. Just a thought for people stuck without a real isp.

If I couldn't get internet by means other than terribly capped satellite or 3G/4G service, then I would probably go with Hughesnet. Slower than Exide (although they did just launch a new tech sat), but they do have a upcapped time period late at night. Still not that helpful for streaming, but very helpful to download video from Amazon to watch later. I know rentals and purchases can be downloaded on pcs, mobile devices and Tivos. I don't know about the free Instant Videos included in Prime membership (I don't have a membership) though. Just a thought for people stuck without a real isp.

Especially when the HughesNet Gen4 service starts, supposedly around October 1.

Only one problem. The new WildBlue which is now called Exede allows 10GB a month of data usage on the basic plan. You won't be able to stream very much at all before hitting the limit. From what I hear they plan to start enforcing the limits in August. Streaming video on a satellite connection is just not practical. And now you probably have a new 2 year contract and at least $5 more a month on your bill too.

Have you looked at Sprint? If you are within their coverage zone you can connect with their mifi hub. 3 or 4g. No data limit? I was in lower Wisconsin earlier this year and rented the mifi hub for a week. Worked well.

Have you looked at Sprint? If you are within their coverage zone you can connect with their mifi hub. 3 or 4g. No data limit? I was in lower Wisconsin earlier this year and rented the mifi hub for a week. Worked well.

no limit, but throttles after a few gb down to dialup speeds

Now my question is....is Amazon the only way to see new episodes of the AMC shows or does Netflix or anyone else carry them too? And with Amazon, do you have to pay for each episode? How long after they air do they have them on Amazon? I'm thinking if I have to pay for episodes, I'm going to have to go back to Dish and negotiate (nicely of course!) for a credit on my monthly bill to cover that.

Thanks for any and all help anyone can give me!

Itunes also carries a lot of shows. If you are unfortunate enough to be severely capped on your internet you may end up having to wait for the DVD/BD releases of these shows. If you have slow internet (like lets say 500 kbit DSL), you have the option with Amazon VOD to download episodes to a TiVo or PC overnight and then get to watch in full HD without streaming. The same with iTunes you can download to a PC then use AppleTV to stream from the PC.

In the past AMC has had next morning availability of episodes (usually around 6-7am EST).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)