DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

As much as I dislike the thoughts of government intervention something really does need to be done.

Not when they end up costing 2x as much... Something needs to give besides the subscriber's wallet....

They don't cost twice as much. Actually they are pretty competitive. What they all need to do is provide more packages allowing for more customizing of individual preferences. In Dish's case perhaps a 120 a 150 a 180 a 200 a 225 and a 250. Then Put AMC in the 200, the 225, and the 250 with corresponding rate increases.

They don't cost twice as much. Actually they are pretty competitive. What they all need to do is provide more packages allowing for more customizing of individual preferences. In Dish's case perhaps a 120 a 150 a 180 a 200 a 225 and a 250. Then Put AMC in the 200, the 225, and the 250 with corresponding rate increases.

Respectfully I currently pay 107.97 after tax for directv, a comparable plan from time Warner was quoted at 189 before tax.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Respectfully I currently pay 107.97 after tax for directv, a comparable plan from time Warner was quoted at 189 before tax.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
When I've priced out cable, I've found that the major difference in cost is the equipment fees. People can joke or bitch about Dish being the "King Of Fees", but man cablecos make Charlie look like a beginner. My brother lives in New York state (Catskill region) and has TWC as his provider. He is getting a great price, far better than what I'm getting by having internet/phone from WOW! and tv from Dish. Well he has less channels (but some that are only available from Dish in higher tiers) and he has one tv connected via it's QAM tuner and the other with only a HD STB. No DVR! But he's happy with it, and that's what really matters. I couldn't live without a dvr anymore. I've had them (Panasonic DMR-EH70V, dvd recorder w/80gig hdd plus a HTPC w/hybrid ota tuner) since before I've had pay-tv. If I ever went back to ota, I'd get a Tivo or two or upgrade to a newer HTPC.

When I've priced out cable, I've found that the major difference in cost is the equipment fees. People can joke or bitch about Dish being the "King Of Fees", but man cablecos make Charlie look like a beginner. My brother lives in New York state (Catskill region) and has TWC as his provider. He is getting a great price, far better than what I'm getting by having internet/phone from WOW! and tv from Dish. Well he has less channels (but some that are only available from Dish in higher tiers) and he has one tv connected via it's QAM tuner and the other with only a HD STB. No DVR! But he's happy with it, and that's what really matters. I couldn't live without a dvr anymore. I've had them (Panasonic DMR-EH70V, dvd recorder w/80gig hdd plus a HTPC w/hybrid ota tuner) since before I've had pay-tv. If I ever went back to ota, I'd get a Tivo or two or upgrade to a newer HTPC.

I agree I went online just to price out our local comacst just to see. Try $51.00 in fees!

There's a price for no commitment,but you can leave the next day too,with DISH you have to buy your equipment.

I am not aware that the fees Cable charges are at all tied to a commitment or not. Like Direct TV and Dish they are a constant. It's the new customer package price and free channels that change based on a contract or not.

Respectfully I currently pay 107.97 after tax for directv, a comparable plan from time Warner was quoted at 189 before tax.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The issue I have with Directv packages is that you have a base package and then you jump right into the expensive packages. Dish currently has a greater number of in between packages that allows the subscriber to prioritize better. When there was the needless Fox Soccer scare, I went to the Directv site and I'd need to pay a decent amount more to get the overall channels I wanted. You do get more at Directv, as they have exclusive Super Rugby coverage (the jerks!) and NASCAR hotpass for no extra charge, but you pay for it up front. Dish allows you to choose channels you are willing to sacrifice to save money.

Last edited:
I am not aware that the fees Cable charges are at all tied to a commitment or not. Like Direct TV and Dish they are a constant. It's the new customer package price and free channels that change based on a contract or not.

I just meant with cable you can get an install on Monday,then if your not happy leave Tuesday, normally unless the cable company your dealing with has a commitment deal.

I just meant with cable you can get an install on Monday,then if your not happy leave Tuesday, normally unless the cable company your dealing with has a commitment deal.

That's true, many ads from Cable talk about no commitment.

As much as I dislike the thoughts of government intervention something really does need to be done.

I would love to see the Cband type system. Where providers had to sell channels to individuals at a cost comparable to what they sold cable companies.

I notice Direct TV is saying to Viacom what Dish is to AMC. We don't want to be made to carry all your channels just to get the ones people might watch with the increases you are asking. I still say that does not bode well when AMC contract comes up with Direct TV depending on how Direct TV handles Viacom. And Don't think this has nothing to do with AMC, it does and with others, it's a warning across the bow from Direct. They may be fearful of going up much more on prices in this economy.
And I think Dish is going to be in hard place in January. They have not raised prices, they can claim they are quite abit less than others. Can they keep prices from rising much?

Last edited:
Why is everyone cheering on DirecTv for putting up a fight against Viacom while everyone bashes Dish for dropping Liberty Media channels? Its the same thing they are both fighting the greed of the program providers. They both say that Viacm or Liberty Media channels are over priced nd with w ratings. I know you'll say that Dish is always putting up a fight and dropping channels but the on for them doing it is to try to reduce cost. Neither Dish or DirecTv will pass on any savings they get by putting this fight so they aren't directly doing this for us.But in the long it will help us in the end.

Atleast Dish is giving away to those who ask a Roku to help those who want to watch their missing shows can do so. As of now I don't see DirecTV doing the same. Perhaps they will.

Just my opinion and thoughts i'm sure there are ls of people on this board who don't agree with me and that's fine by me.

Why is everyone cheering on DirecTv for putting up a fight against Viacom while everyone bashes Dish for dropping Liberty Media channels? Its the same thing they are both fighting the greed of the program providers. They both say that Viacm or Liberty Media channels are over priced nd with w ratings. I know you'll say that Dish is always putting up a fight and dropping channels but the on for them doing it is to try to reduce cost. Neither Dish or DirecTv will pass on any savings they get by putting this fight so they aren't directly doing this for us.But in the long it will help us in the end.

Atleast Dish is giving away to those who ask a Roku to help those who want to watch their missing shows can do so. As of now I don't see DirecTV doing the same. Perhaps they will.

Just my opinion and thoughts i'm sure there are ls of people on this board who don't agree with me and that's fine by me.

Liberty media?Are you referring to cablevision/rainbow?The owners of AMC,IFC,WE,and Sundance?

I assume so but Liberty doesnt own them anymore...AMC does

AMC Networks (NASDAQ: AMCX) is an entertainment company in the United States that owns the cable channels AMC, IFC, WE tv, and Sundance Channel;

I believe the idea is that Directv is fighting to keep the Viacom channels, where as some believe Dish handed AMC an anvil and then pushed them off a cliff.

I believe the idea is that Directv is fighting to keep the Viacom channels, where as some believe Dish handed AMC an anvil and then pushed them off a cliff.

Lmao. BEEP BEEP.

My nomination for post of the week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)