DISH Hacked - Websites are BACK ONLINE!

Hey gang, I just read through all of the postings for this thread. So my Hopper has no signal on the 3 ports up to the LNBs. Everything was fine Friday night... Saturday morning, complete signal loss. Googling this it seems SOME people have no dish tv service (Satellite), and I know of course the dish anywhere is out and the websites are out. Is this outrage actually causing the Hoppers to show zero signal? When I do a status check it shows green check boxes on that little matrix at the bottom under the 119, 110, (I forget the third one). but then says I have 3 issues... I click that and it shows ports 1, 2, 3 No Signal. I have to think this is related since nothing changed on my end, dish still looks good from the ground anyway... I do have an XR-3 at work that we use for Radio Broadcast C Band dishes, which does not have the module needed for Dish network, work, but it does give you an indication of how the dish is doing at least on 110. It didnt look like any of you have lost your actual dish reception. Please advise and I thank you all!

Unplug your Hopper for 30 seconds and let it reboot. See what you get.
I have done that... it will do the checking for signal thing, then eventually it just stops with that "this should take no more than 5 minutes". Screen....

tempImagewq4ZJR.jpg

Attachments

• tempImagevFbN1Z.png
    tempImagevFbN1Z.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 104
  • tempImagekaWbh6.png
    tempImagekaWbh6.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 115
  • tempImageJUCiOZ.png
    tempImageJUCiOZ.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 114
Reactions: charlesrshell
I can change to any tuner or any satellite transponder and it shows zero signal and zero lock... it was fine Friday night at like 10pm CST, then Saturday morning like 8am nothing....

I can change to any tuner or any satellite transponder and it shows zero signal and zero lock... it was fine Friday night at like 10pm CST, then Saturday morning like 8am nothing....
Those pics were just now after unplugged for 2 mins and removed the RG-6 to the back, then I put that back on...

Having been through this with my company in 2022 if this was a ransomware attack it is understandable why they are down so long. Typically the culprits are on your system observing and trying to get sensitive data for the blackmail phase of their actions for a long time before they expose themselves. They will then set off the encryption phase to lock your files. A good IT team will immediately disconnect the systems from the internet and start evaluating how widespread the issue is and if they have good backups start restoring the systems. The larger your system(s) the more monumental this task is. I believe this is why this has taken so long. They will keep the system disconnected from the internet until they have been able to restore and verify their backups. They also have to make sure the ransomware files have not infected their backups or it will just happen again. This will take time. You can also assume they are working with the FBI’s cyber crime unit.
I sure hope they are not trying to extort Charlie, because he is pretty tight about controlling cost. He would never give in to their demands and they would pull the plug on the entire operation, just to spite them.

Just some rain but it was light... about 3 days prior it was fairly heavy, but not Friday. nothing major, fairly typical for Memphis, TN

Just some rain but it was light... about 3 days prior it was fairly heavy, but not Friday. nothing major, fairly typical for Memphis, TN
Switch Status is showing you the satellites it saw the last time it tested installation. Press TEST INSTALLATION. Most likely it will say "you have fewer satellites..." You can cancel or save at that point. The problem could be anywhere from the Dish to receiver.

It was a wonderful thing at the time, ruined by their use of “Guru Meditations” instead of a more business like error message.
Bite your tongue! Before there was Google Maps, GM (in the computer-sense) meant “Guru Meditation”… ;)

The MyDISH app is still “temporarily unavailable”, but you all knew that. So far my streaming apps are still using cached authorization, but that can’t last forever.

The first pic showing Tuner 1 transponder 0 is what we call the 0 of 0 Transponder glitch. Typically, when you see that Tuner shows 0, setting it to 1 and backing out to where it says Acquiring Signal, that status bar will start to turn green and restore your service. Occasionally, we'll have to go to that Check Switch screen more than once and re-set Tuner to 1 and then back all the way out again

SO we didn't wake up to a restored system, but were told Dish will start adding work orders this afternoon and maybe tomorrow we'll be working back to normal
Have they fired their network security person as of yet? This is just pitiful. I spent 8 years in a network NOC, and something like this is WORLD-WIDE call-out, and all hands on deck!

In fact, back in 2012 I was on shift when around 2:15am, our entire network starting dropping from Japan, and heading West on a slow roll. In fact, we had JUST also converted all the phone to IP phones, so even those went down. I ended up getting major PTSD out of that, and had to start all the callouts using a cellphone to coordinate it all. Took about 9 hours to get everything back up and running. Everything had to be restarted, including the SAP systems.

You know what caused it? Charter/Spectum replaced some sort of card in their network, and it caused total fail-back across our ENTIRE worldwide network.

They figured it cost us about $1 million per hour for every hour of outage.

A year later something almost as bad happened, when one of our backup centers in Dallas went down due to somebody crashing a vehicle, and wiping out a fiber node.

Last edited: