DISH Hacked - Websites are BACK ONLINE!

Nope as the hole is still open. And whos to say there isn't another hole ready (or already) being exploited.

Not to mention that because they are a publiclly held company so they have to investigate and determine what data was stolen.

Lots of moving pieces behind the scenes.
Another hole open ready to be exploited, possibly. These ransomware types always want a way to further punish any company that doesn't bend to their demands.

Reactions: charlesrshell
getting derailed for 1/2 day arguing about whether certain trees are deciduous

I was gonna ask if you were new around here, but I see you've been here a long time. As a lifetime supporter, you should know one of the things that makes this site famous is our ability to wander off topic and then wander back.

I'm so amazed that Dish has been able to keep this out of the national news. Still not able to go online to activate and deactivate receivers.

... and lots more...

But are they deciduous?!
MakeItStop.jpg

I'm so amazed that Dish has been able to keep this out of the national news. Still not able to go online to activate and deactivate receivers.

If this were Verizon or Comcast, it would be all over the national news. Most Americans don't even know Dish or Boost exist and don't care. Small, dying player in the market + service hasn't been impacted.

If this were Verizon or Comcast, it would be all over the national news. Most Americans don't even know Dish or Boost exist and don't care. Small, dying player in the market + service hasn't been impacted.

I was thinking this myself earlier. If it had happened in 2002 it'd be bigger news.

If the satellite service was down it would be much bigger news I believe

And therin lies the genius of satellite redundancy. Not that it's impervious to hacking, but it's a system that still works largely independent of IP. If the internet backbone went down, broadcasters would be back on satellite immediately.

All of Dish's network infrastructure went down, but none of the satellite infrastructure. Dish is winning this battle by hedging their legacy systems against the 'net. Gotta say, I'm impressed. Hackers haven't learned how to shoot down a satellite (yet).
Exactly. All you need is one doofus with a backhoe to accidentally take out large sections of the countries Internet in one misplaced scoop, it's happened before. I don't think people fully appreciate just how vulnerable the Internet infrastructure really is both from a software (hacking) and hardware (oops, I didn't mean to dig there) point of view. Generally speaking hardwired is always superior to wireless but not when it comes to redundancy at least not the way the current Internet is hardwired. Very large sections of the country can go dead by the accidental cutting of a single wire while satellite feeds can simply move from transponder to transponder and even satellite to satellite in a relatively short time period.

Exactly. All you need is one doofus with a backhoe to accidentally take out large sections of the countries Internet in one misplaced scoop, it's happened before. I don't think people fully appreciate just how vulnerable the Internet infrastructure really is both from a software (hacking) and hardware (oops, I didn't mean to dig there) point of view. Generally speaking hardwired is always superior to wireless but not when it comes to redundancy at least not the way the current Internet is hardwired. Very large sections of the country can go dead by the accidental cutting of a single wire while satellite feeds can simply move from transponder to transponder and even satellite to satellite in a relatively short time period.
No no no...good grief the internet itself has built in redundancy..if you cut a single fiber you might cut off a internet provider but they should have multiple links to the internet..to take down the internet itself you would have to get in the routers

If the Twitter website is down for 15 minutes it is front-page news in the New York Times and Washington Post. They hate Elon Musk so they will do anything to tarnish his reputation. I guess Charlie doesn't have as many enemies in the media.

Reactions: charlesrshell
If the Twitter website is down for 15 minutes it is front-page news in the New York Times and Washington Post. They hate Elon Musk so they will do anything to tarnish his reputation. I guess Charlie doesn't have as many enemies in the media.
Twitter might have a few more people using the service then Dish, hence the bigger news story.

In the United States alone, there are 79 Million Twitter users, which is 9 million more then Live Pay TV Subscribers .

Last edited:
Well some signs of life at DISH. The Sling TV servers which control the Air TV boxes are up and people can now rescan for OTA channels again. This is progress. :D
Awesome, thanks for the update. I’ve been promising my uncle free local stations for a few weeks now and was starting to feel bad after I got him to buy an AirTV