DISH has lost 420,000 subs so far this year

And AT&T, Comcast, Charter, etc... will not continue to do the same?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!
Well AT&T is doing it now IMO sort of.
But they still don't fully combine their numbers.
They tell you separately in the quarterlys what Uverse is doing and what Directv is doing.

Not so with Dish Network and SlingTV.

Both Dish and Directv realize that the future of TV is IP-based, and they've both launched their own versions to stay viable and competitive. I look for Dish and Direct to continue to cannibalize their DBS operations and basically push people into IP. Even Dish's new Sling commercials feature some lady in a call center with a nametag that says "OLD TV." There will be people in remote rural areas (like me) who will depend on satellite for years to come, but in most cities where you have access to high speed internet it will begin to make more and more sense to move to the newer and (Currently cheaper) technology, especially when cloud-based DVR's are up and running 100%

Both Dish and Directv realize that the future of TV is IP-based, and they've both launched their own versions to stay viable and competitive. I look for Dish and Direct to continue to cannibalize their DBS operations and basically push people into IP. Even Dish's new Sling commercials feature some lady in a call center with a nametag that says "OLD TV." There will be people in remote rural areas (like me) who will depend on satellite for years to come, but in most cities where you have access to high speed internet it will begin to make more and more sense to move to the newer and (Currently cheaper) technology, especially when cloud-based DVR's are up and running 100%

Nothing is cheaper than delivery than DBS. It literally has zero added network load for delivery, and can put through terabytes of data per day, per user. IP internet network can't even come close.

But of course the IP connection is critical for an upstream path, so the TV providers can learn more about the customer to fine tune their advertising, so the future absolutely will include internet as well. We'll see hybrid DBS / IPTV models for TV delivery (like we have now) for the next 3-5 years as the norm.

Oh I definitely agree with you there, I just think that beyond those 3-5 years we'll see a shift

I'd like to speculate on what happens in 5 years, but man... That is an eternity in the tech world. I feel like I'd be just as qualified to talk about how people will be living in 1,000 years! lol

Oh I definitely agree with you there, I just think that beyond those 3-5 years we'll see a shift

There will still be a place for satellite for years to come, unless they wire the millions of rural homes that don't have access to high speed internet in 3 to 5 years, which isn't going to happen.

Reactions: JSheridan
I'd like to speculate on what happens in 5 years, but man... That is an eternity in the tech world. I feel like I'd be just as qualified to talk about how people will be living in 1,000 years! lol

No doubt. I do feel pretty safe in saying that as internet access continues it's journey to becoming an "essential utility," and more prolific in rural areas, it will be a no-brainer for these companies to shed the cost of equipment and labor overhead associated with DBS. No longer need to roll trucks, launch expensive satellites, subsidize receivers, etc. Not that I'm happy about it; I LOVE satellite technology. Just bracing myself for the future!

Well AT&T is doing it now IMO sort of.
But they still don't fully combine their numbers.
They tell you separately in the quarterlys what Uverse is doing and what Directv is doing.

Not so with Dish Network and SlingTV.
Yeah, they are currently cannibalizing their UVerse customers to DirecTV, will probably start sending some to DirecTV Now in the future as they work on phasing out the UVerse service and going internet only with it, (I.E. phasing out the TV part of it).

There will still be a place for satellite for years to come, unless they wire the millions of rural homes that don't have access to high speed internet in 3 to 5 years, which isn't going to happen.

I think it will happen. For starters, just recently, Fairpoint and Consolidated Communications announced a merger, now forming a company covering 42 states and MANY rural areas. I think we'll see wired and wireless build-out happening as smaller telco's merge and have more available resources. Or maybe I'm just dreaming, who knows.

When I see some of these posts all I can do is shake my head, the same thing over and over. Complaining about DISH fees? Seriously??????? No one is forcing you to pay $15 for a Hopper, you could get a lesser receiver for less. And no one likes the fees of course but I see what cable is charging for fees, and so many including Direct also charging an RSN fees of sometimes over $7?? And often they are charging more for fees even without the RSN fee.

The fee structure is exactly that - a structure geared towards the user paying closer to what they are using. And for what seems like the 100th time, if they reduced the $15 whole home fee, something would be increased to replace it, sadly probably the package fees. Then those of us who are happy with a VIP receiver and paying $7 DVR fees would be subsidizing those who have the Hopper. No Thanks. And if someone is thinking if DISH reduced the $15 fee it wouldn't manifest somewhere else I have a bridge to sell you. It's a business model and each component is dependent on others for their cost. Now if DISH or someone wants to cut costs somewhere, either not carry some channels or charge for something they do not now, then they could if so inclined reduce costs somewhere else like the Whole home DVR fee. And I think we are begining to see a reduction in how many channels no one is really watching by providers.
And mirroring may well be something DISH must charge for. Even if they do not have to, I don't see how someone could reasonably expect free service in other rooms particularly if you can record etc from that room.

When I see some of these posts all I can do is shake my head, the same thing over and over. Complaining about DISH fees? Seriously??????? No one is forcing you to pay $15 for a Hopper, you could get a lesser receiver for less. I see what cable is charging for fees, and so many including Direct also charging an RSN fee of sometimes over $7?? And often they are charging more for fees even without the RSN fee.

The fee structure is exactly that - a structure geared towards the user paying closer to what they are using. And for what seems like the 100th time, if they reduced the $15 whole home fee, something would be increased to replace it, sadly probably the package fees. Then those of us who are happy with a VIP receiver and paying $7 DVR fees would be subsidizing those who have the Hopper. No Thanks. And if someone is thinking if DISH reduced the $15 fee it wouldn't manifest somewhere else I have a bridge to sell you. It's a business model and each component is dependent on others for their cost. Now if DISH or someone wants to cut costs somewhere, either not carry some channels or charge for something they do not now, then they could if so inclined reduce costs somewhere else like the Whole home DVR fee.
And mirroring may well be something DISH must charge for. Even if they do not have to, I don't see how someone could reasonably expect free service in other rooms particularly if you can record etc from that room.

Exactly. I decided to forego my Hopper for a 211k and an EHD and now I don't pay those fees anymore. Now I can buy an extra pizza and a 6-pack every month!

Exactly. I decided to forego my Hopper for a 211k and an EHD and now I don't pay those fees anymore. Now I can buy an extra pizza and a 6-pack every month!

I may not be correct, but I am thinking Directv no longer has that option - is it only whole home now? Whatever the case that is a good example.
I should add mostly any company that has new technology charges more for it, it helps pay for the R&D, installs, etc...

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I may not be correct, but I am thinking Directv no longer has that option - is it only whole home now? Whatever the case that is a good example.
I should add mostly any company that has new technology charges more for it, it helps pay for the R&D, installs, etc...
And it is good equipment too. Many people are paying higher fees to use bricks to get their service.

Reactions: Tampa8

The problem with IP is you don't need a provider, you can subscribe to the channel directly form the content provider.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
The problem with IP is you don't need a provider, you can subscribe to the channel directly form the content provider.

Some channels you can. Many you can't. Most "basic cable" channels over IP have to come from Sling or DTVNOW. You can't buy a sub to ESPN or HGTV, but you can for HBO

Reactions: Jillian2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)