DISH HD Migration off of 61.5

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Not completely! There's E12, formerly known as Rainbow 1, which has 12 spotbeam transponders, 8 (?) of which are currently in service for HD locals.

Sorry, I misspoke. When I referred to 61 I meant to say Echostar 15. When I referred to 72 I meant Nimiq 5.

Pushing customers off 61.5 to receive their HD from 72.7 doesn't open anything up for them. All it does is FORCE a lot of people to update their systems. It's not like they have to clear out 61.5 to put one huge channel on there that fills up the entire satellite.

Pushing customers off 61.5 to receive their HD from 72.7 doesn't open anything up for them.
Indeed I don't understand this either. It would seem to me that conus transponders at 72 or 77 are equivalent to conus transponders at 61.5, so why the 72.7 favoritism? 32 (total) - 12 (spots) = 20 conus transponders at 61.5. Isn't that enough for all of Dish's national HD channels?

I have both but I didn't understand what your postulate was???

That comparing 2 similarly powered and modulated transponders between the WA and EA (such as those CONUS on Ciel-2 and Nimiq-5) should produce reasonably equal signal strengths (in response to the statement the WA has higher signal).

I think that they are moving the hd off of 61.5 so they can duplicate the international channels in mpeg 4 and eliminate the extra 118 dish for add ons for a eastern arc subs. After all there are already some international channels on 61.5 anyway. Possibly duplicate the dish latino packs as well so eastern arc has parity with western arc subs.

Hi, everyone. I just discovered this site a month or two ago, and I feel that I've already learned a lot, but now I need help. I'll start by saying that I'm not nearly as savvy as you guys, so please bear with me. I'm on 110/119/61.5, so I can't see all the HD channels that I'm paying for. I tried chatting with dish about it and promptly got cut off. Then about two or three weeks ago, I called and spoke to a CSR (who actually asked me if I would even watch those channels) and of course she had me jump through hoops and then transferred me to advanced tech support. There I was told that they just launched a new satellite and they would be moving channels to the new one and it would be just a matter of time before I would see the HD channels I'm missing. So I guess my first question is am I correct in understanding from Scott's post here that quite the opposite is true, that I'm going to be losing even more channels?

Hi, everyone. I just discovered this site a month or two ago, and I feel that I've already learned a lot, but now I need help. I'll start by saying that I'm not nearly as savvy as you guys, so please bear with me. I'm on 110/119/61.5, so I can't see all the HD channels that I'm paying for. I tried chatting with dish about it and promptly got cut off. Then about two or three weeks ago, I called and spoke to a CSR (who actually asked me if I would even watch those channels) and of course she had me jump through hoops and then transferred me to advanced tech support. There I was told that they just launched a new satellite and they would be moving channels to the new one and it would be just a matter of time before I would see the HD channels I'm missing. So I guess my first question is am I correct in understanding from Scott's post here that quite the opposite is true, that I'm going to be losing even more channels?

The CSRs are usually clueless. To get all core programming, you need a pure arc install which means 110/119/129 for the western arc (1000.2) or 61.5/72.7/77 for the eastern arc (1000.4). Since Milwaukee is an EA market, you really need an EA install with a 1000.4 antenna.

So you have two dishes up... Just drop the 61.5 down to about 23-24 degree's in elevation and turn it to where its pointing just slightly right of 119 and BOOM you got 129 just run a check switch on your boxes to see the new setup.

This is going to be a Dish disaster for east Tenn,I've spent four full years setting up wing dishes for 61.5 so people can get locals in HD and all the other HD channels at that location.

Many of the setups are 110,119,129,61.5 or 110,119,61.5 or 61.5 only. The 129 bird is nearly impossible to hit in east Tn area and all the old customers are on the western arc.

Maybe I can be rehired to correct the epic mess they are about to create.

Last edited:
Hi Matt

At least for customers in the mainland it does not matter wish setup you have, you are able to get the full lineup. With the exeption of the new HD that are on 72.7 for people still on 119/110/61.5. We here in Puerto Rico are paying for the exact same service the same amount of money but still we only get 41 HD channels. We were hoping and still are that Dish do some justice for us here and provide the rest of the HD lineup through this new sat at 61.5 since it now has great coverage for the island. But unfortunatly Dish is not very open or clear on their plans for us here in PR. They are always giving lame excuses or promising stuff that never gets done within a resonable amount of time. But still they are willing to charge full price for the service even though it's not full service.

I currently have 110/119/61.5.

I can not get 129 or 77 beacuse of LOS. Dish will not give me EA because I can not see 77.

This means that when the transition is complete I will not have any HD. I currently do not get the latest HD channels that were added - this does not bother me. However, if I lose all HD I will not be a happy camper.

I am very satisfied with E*, however, if I lose all of my HD channels I will have to consider D* or cable.

While not the exact situation, my Installer did indeed get them to give me the EA without 77. (In Connecticut) I get distants from American Direct, but they are only on 110/119. (SD and HD) I have a two dish set-up that allows four sats to be seen. I have to see 110/119 for my distants, and have to see 61.5 (for now) and 72 to get all the programming. Since I would get no benefit from seeing 77 at least for now, Dish did allow me to not be on that sat. This may be a bit different than not being able to see 77, but I bet if you work more on it you too can get a set-up without 77, UNLESS it means you will not get some programming.

BTW, even the higher levels at Dish that the installer talked to did not understand you had to have 110/119 if you get distants. Amercian Direct however does know this and advises you of it when you call for HD distants. I was very lucky to get a patient installer that explained everything a few times as he was sent up the ladder at Dish. And you do need both sats to get all the distant channels, he was told over and over again you only need to see either 110 or 119, which would have allowed for 77 to be included.

Last edited:
You don't need the 110/119 so if you wanted to you could get rid of one dish. :)

I don't think my 501's would be happy with that. ;)

Any word if DISH is going to have some sort of deal to upgrade receivers to VIP's due to this migration? I'd probably go the 211 w/ external drive instead of paying the exorbitant fees for a DVR. If they'd swap my 2 501's for 211's and waive the $40 DVR activation I'd be happy.

Yup you are correct there. Sometimes I forget that EA is MPEG4 only.

I have a 722 and a 211. I'm near Rochester NY and point to 61.5, 110 and 119. I did an online chat with a csr yesterday. The person told me that with both my receivers being mpeg4, I would not need to have my dishes reaimed to 2 in the earc and that I would continue to get all my HD channels. Is that true?

No

I have a 722 and a 211. I'm near Rochester NY and point to 61.5, 110 and 119. I did an online chat with a csr yesterday. The person told me that with both my receivers being mpeg4, I would not need to have my dishes reaimed to 2 in the earc and that I would continue to get all my HD channels. Is that true?

In a word NO. They were totally full of IT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)