Dish Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AdamJonny

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Somewhere
I have a 90cm Fortech Star dish and have been toying with the idea of switching to a 1.2m dish. Have been looking around and haven't found very good deals... and I don't relly like the quality of my Fortec Star dish. AV Satellite Sales has one, but the shipping is more that the dish!!! :rant: So will there be a notable improvement form the 90cm dish if I upgrade to a 1.2m dish?

You didn't list your location, so I can't suggest which of our sponsors might be close enough for you to drive to and pick up a dish.
WSI is in Atlanta.
SatAV is near San Francisco.
And our buddy Sadoun is Ohio.

I believe the Fortec Star 1.2 has LNB side support struts, so that's an improvement.
However, there's room to improve the vertical adjustment method and pivot point.
I covered that pretty seriously in a thread by JsatTV when putting up his 1.0m Fortec. (couple of years ago)

The GeoSatPro 1.2m dish seems to fill the bill pretty well on most points.
LNB support struts and fine vertical adjust.

The WS1247 from WSI/Galaxy seems very decent, too.
There is a favorable review of it in our Hardware Review department.

Thanks for the quick reply... Sadoun is the closest for me, but it is still a 200 mile drive! I will look at some of the dishes that you have suggested...

The Fortec Star 1.2M was not a strong product in the Fortec product lineup. It is a very lightweight dish and we never stocked the Fortec dishes due to the light duty hardware. We would highly recommend that you carefully checkout the specifications and reviews before you purchase.

BTW.... You can save the $30 residential ground freight delivery fee by arranging for 1.2M packages to be shipped to a commercial address or for pick-up at the local delivery warehouse. I believe that Sadoun is or will be soon stocking his own OEM brand of 1.2M dishes ( sorry, unable to verify. The site is down).

tidbits:

Looks like Sadoun was updating his site. It's up 'n running , now.
All it lists is the 1.2m Fortec, so I suggest you phone him up and ask, since he's your closest source.

Alternately, you could be on the lookout for a surplus "Primestar" or other commercial dish, but good luck.

And to correct my error, SatelliteAV is really closer to Sacramento (our state capital), than to San Francisco.
But, to anyone 1,000 miles away, it's probably all the same difference. - :rolleyes:

He's 425 miles from me, and a year ago, I was giving -serious- thought to driving up 'n snagging some dishes!
I have a pre-recall 2001 Camry, and just wasn't sure how to strap on a 1.2m or 6' dish . . . - :D

Adam,

We will be stocking our own brand 1.2m offset dish soon. It will be a better dish than the other brand.

If you can wait a couple of months, it will be worth it. The new dish will have thicker material (0.8mm vs 0.6mm), Glavanized steel, beefier hardware, and stronger signal gain.

Price will be slightly higher, but not by much since it will be factory direct for us.

And to answer you original question, YES the 1.2M dish is a huge improvement over a 90cm dish. A 1.0M dish is also a big improvement over a 90cm dish. Now that DVB-S2 is increasingly showing up on Ku band, I'd recommend a 1.0 meter dish as the new minimum size. It's a shame that the shipping is so much.
:)

Note the pic, the turnbuckle arrangement to bring the Fortec 1.2M into the sweet spot for the lnbf.

Attachments

• dish-garden.jpg
    dish-garden.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 91
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)