DISH Hopper Wireless Keyboard / Remote / Social Networking Concept Video

Telling people what are you are watching is kinda dumb but oh well to each and their own.

So you've never heard of a little website called "GetGlue"?

This is really cool. Even my wife who was watching the video over my shoulder thought being able to type in a channel would be a handy thing.

GoogleTV actually does have all the tools to do this, it's just allowing developers access to do it. The SDK at least for the first version was pretty limited - like they didn't allow them to do proper overlays and interact with the video window. This really does show off what can be done and completely side-steps the need for an extra box to go in between the receiver and set top box.

The remote itself is pretty brilliant... flipping it over to bring up a search box really makes the experience transparent and easy for the regular folks to get it and use it. And using the motion sensors inside to let people "mouse" around the screen? Cool.... :cool:

Oh and just putting this out there... I'd love to see Mike's reaction to 8:27 into the video... just proves why the Hopper, which is twice as powerful as the 922, was needed to fulfill a "promise" that was made when that box was first unveiled. :rolleyes:

Not interested in all the social media aspects; however, most of the functionally would be very helpful. Would the web browsing permit video streaming like Google TV does? If so, how about also integrating video calls (e.g., Skype) with an added camera?

That remote is an awesome idea. I hope dish releases this soon would make the wait for ota, and hopper intergration easier. :D

Looks like a intresting concept, I like the remote functions, not so much the social media part. Sorry this old man of 37 :) sometimes needs a break from the social media.

Lots of good stuff there. Even though I'm not interested in some of the social media stuff it offers I can see it being appealing to others so I think it was pretty balanced about offering something for everyone.

Will it require a two year commitment and will we be eligible for it if we got a free Pay Per View coupon 5 years ago? :D

Searching and tagging is very nice, sorting by name is nice too. I can care less about the social media aspect. I want to watch the movie and not be constantly communicating.

Well, there's a LOT of money on the table with this one. I think D* got a bit of a heads up and is worried. Dish can have a nice sprint before there's a catch up. But it's gotta get out in the field, fast, and in pretty good functional order.

I grant, the "social networking" part has little appeal to me, although I might try it with SatGuys, but I recognize that the young will be attracted like flies to a light bulb. They seem to prefer texting each other to actually voice calling on a cell.
I highly doubt that.

Some very cool features. I especially like the tagging feature. I can do without knowing what other people are watching or letting them know what I am watching.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)