DISH Hopper Wireless Keyboard / Remote / Social Networking Concept Video

Ready to order!!! I know several of our customers would buy them just for the channel searching feature.

And how much do you think they'll pay for such a remote? I'm curious, and assuming such a nice "extra" will not be free.

And how much do you think they'll pay for such a remote? I'm curious, and assuming such a nice "extra" will not be free.
That is the big question. Glad I don't have to decide the price and to be honest I a little worried about what they will want for such a remote. As of now for the people that want extra remotes when we spilt TV2 or mirror TV1 to other tv's they don't complain about a $29 remote. I don't think these remotes will be $29 dollars. These customers may go for $49 but not sure they would spend more then that if I have to guess.

Amazing demo! I wanted one before I left the Echostar booth. So I asked a lot of questions and here is what he told me ..
1. The remote is about twice as expensive to produce than the current remote making it around $18 per unit.
2. Echo is trying to convince DISH to pack it out in all the Hopper/Joey boxes.
3. If they're successful in making it the standard remote they've already developed a more basic remote for those customers (typically older customers) who have difficulty with remotes and are really only needing basic functionality.

For me .. I want it now!

3. If they're successful in making it the standard remote they've already developed a more basic remote for those customers (typically older customers) who have difficulty with remotes and are really only needing basic functionality.

For me .. I want it now!

Wouldn't that be the one they're packing with the Hopper now? I don't know what they could drop on the current remote without hobbling the functionally of the Hopper.

As for wanting one now........me too!

That's good news. I pictured another revenue stream.
I think it's a chicken and egg thing where the remote is the egg. The apps open up potential recurring revenue streams, but the apps won't gain acceptance unless they have a decent UI, and for a decent UI they need the enhanced remote.

This looks amazing! I was excited for the Hopper the way it is, but this makes me even more excited. Any idea on the price for this or a release date?

Wow
Add an Over the Air Tuner OTA AND THIS add on feature, am I will for sure switch from DireCTV to Dish.

I wonder if you an search on google AND do Video like the Google TV does?

It would be nice if there were no extra fees for this functionality like GTV integration had. I would pay up to $100 for the remote and software but would not want any new monthly fees on top what we already pay for the Hopper.

It would be nice if there were no extra fees for this functionality like GTV integration had. I would pay up to $100 for the remote and software but would not want any new monthly fees on top what we already pay for the Hopper.

I'd expect the opposite. Included in the box when they start shipping, minimal $30 to purchase for us early adopters. A few free apps. Some apps with a one time purchase fee. More apps that are subscribed to.

I think it's a chicken and egg thing where the remote is the egg. The apps open up potential recurring revenue streams, but the apps won't gain acceptance unless they have a decent UI, and for a decent UI they need the enhanced remote.

Gee, I wish I'd have realized that! :up

Why does every sentence? Sound like he's asking a question? Even when it's not a question? It sounds like a question? It's kind of weird when people do that? They do it a lot in California? He may be from California?

In south Orange County in all the beach communities. :)

I'd expect the opposite. Included in the box when they start shipping, minimal $30 to purchase for us early adopters.
If they are included in the box with new H/J's, they should be available for free to those who already received H/J's with the old remote. A reasonable shipping fee should be expected, of course.

BTW for a better look at it click on the YouTube Logo in the video which will take you to the video at YouTube where you can then watch it there in HD and full screen.

Looks amazing! :)

I like a lot of what I saw here, and would definitely take one for each of my 2 TVs. Knowing that concept products are crammed full of features, not all which make it to market, I hope that when this remote comes to market - and I think it will, since it fills a void with H/J due to the lack of Logitech Revue integration, as someone mentioned - it retains Tagging and navigation features close to what we saw in the video. Those alone are game changers. I know many have said the social/sharing components are too "Big Brother," but I like them - and think they, and the web browsing, would be good extensions to the core DVR functions in the H/J products, IF they work reliably. I love how the Revue brought YouTube viewing to my big screen, for example, and it looks phenomenal, but the constant stops/starts make it all but unwatchable. Any remote functions that rely on broadband connectivity like this will live or die by how quickly they can perform their assigned tasks. I might share what I am watching on Facebook, or watch a movie preview from the info screen, but if I see a lot of whatever icon replaces the hourglass with this software iteration I will stop using that feature.

This might be the incentive to jump to the Hopper. I presently have the 922 and just today, May 15th, I got Blockbuster Home, but even without the OTA module for the Hopper if this remote was available for a reasonable cost I would make the jump.

I would definitely purchase these remotes for my Hopper and Joeys provided that it was a one time purchase and no additional monthly fee was required. The switch to the Hopper/Joey receivers is already costing me an additional $18/mo over my old ViP-722k hardware.

GaryPen said:
If they are included in the box with new H/J's, they should be available for free to those who already received H/J's with the old remote. A reasonable shipping fee should be expected, of course.

Why? We got what was advertised. We weren't shorted in any way. Products are always improved and more bundled in as they go through their life cycle. If the early days of hopper had been a fiasco, then maybe as peace offering, but that hasn't been the case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts