Dish is forcing banner ads on premium channels.

I've never had this problem on any of my channels. For the record, I have the everything pack, no DISH platinum, 722k with L685, and finally (I think this might be the factor), my receiver is not connected to the internet.

The reason your not seeing it is because you dont have Platinum... they are doing this because most DISH customers do not know about all the extras they get with the Platinum pack... so DISH is trying to get people to use some of the features they are paying for. :)

The reason your not seeing it is because you dont have Platinum... they are doing this because most DISH customers do not know about all the extras they get with the Platinum pack... so DISH is trying to get people to use some of the features they are paying for. :)
OK, so why is the OP (who says he does not have Platinum), still getting these messages?

Bottom line subscribers should have the option to disable the (notification).It should be an option not a requirement.

My big gripe was that they're trying to drive people to dishonline.. but its broken. its certainly WORSE at DVR items than Dish Remote Access ... and for what ever reason.. when *all* the premiums started getting them (all that are currently effected that is) it took 2 power resets, and a 5am auto restart to finally get my receiver to start responding to the "Cancel" button on the remote to get the annoying message to disappear.

It also had the effect of slowing down channel changes on all channels, not just the premiums. Until this morning with the cancel button now working again.. I'd go to any channel, and if not one of the premiums where the banner ad is, the screen would remain blank/black behind the channel banner 2 to 3 times longer than normal before the video or audio would start back up. Normally on my 722k it was 1 to 2 seconds the channel would be in and playing. Now its 3 to 6 seconds..

Like I said.. its gotten better with the "cancel" button allowing to clear the banner.. but this delay for the video /audio to start is still there..

I was wondering whether it would be possible for the notification to pop up only once every five minutes or so. For instance, if you tune to Epix, you see the notification with the channel banner. You decide to change the station because if you watch just one more second of GI Joe, you fear irreversible brain damage. When changing to Epix 2, the receiver should know that you just saw the notification and it isn't necessary to pop it up again... and again. Once five minutes passes by, and when a person flips to a Platinum station, it'll pop up the notification with the channel banner and reset the clock. I think that would help a bit.

harshness said:
I consider both of them a "promotion" of another service (dishonline.com) and it doesn't matter whether or not there is an additional cost.
Well, whether there is an additional cost would determine whether it was an ad. Some have complained about being advertised to on a premium service. If there was a commercial or ad to subscribe to something else, that would take this to a different level. But right now, it is just saying "Hey! Check out additional content you are already paying for." It could be done in a better way, but the hoopla over this is really over the top.

I didn't know this was already being discussed in the Epix thread when I started this one. I checked the front page of the forum and didn't see anything about it and thought maybe I was the first person to notice what was happening. The Epix thread has since been bumped to the front page, sorry.

ckhalil18, your setup sounds exactly like mine so I don't know why you're not seeing what the rest of us are.http://www.satelliteguys.us/member.php?u=164751

I didn't know this was already being discussed in the Epix thread when I started this one. I checked the front page of the forum and didn't see anything about it and thought maybe I was the first person to notice what was happening. The Epix thread has since been bumped to the front page, sorry.

ckhalil18, your setup sounds exactly like mine so I don't know why you're not seeing what the rest of us are.
I don't know either. I guess I must be blessed.:):D But seriously, I think the only difference in my setup is that my 722k is not connected to the internet. It is connected to a phone line but I don't think that would be the reason why I'm not seeing the banners. Did I also mention that I have the TV enhancements turned on as well? Again, don't know why I'm not seeing the banners, but I'm not complaining.:)

I have Platinum pack and I still see the messages on the Platinum channels and HBO channels too. I'm surprised no banners on the Free Starz channels.

I don't know either. I guess I must be blessed.:):D But seriously, I think the only difference in my setup is that my 722k is not connected to the internet. It is connected to a phone line but I don't think that would be the reason why I'm not seeing the banners. Did I also mention that I have the TV enhancements turned on as well? Again, don't know why I'm not seeing the banners, but I'm not complaining.:)
Tired discon from net and a reboot and it still did it. Maybe once it's in mem it will be there even w/o connection to net.

Teehar said:
Yep very annoying,I noticed that many of the dish platinum channels now have the banner.There are many ways dish can advertise dishonline without showing it every time we tune to a channel.

But then someone would complain about that too.

I noticed this yesterday. All the money I pay (Everything, Platinum, etc) I certainly do not need to see these annoying ads spammed on my TV. Christ if they want people to know about dishonline so bad just send a friggen email and/or junk mail. Oh wait they do that anyway. Oh and I also wish they would stop spamming my DVR with their 6 minute ads. I have an idea... take all the money used for that BS that annoys people and use the funds to get the MLB network that would make so many people happy instead.'

Jay

Looks like I'm not blessed anymore. Last night around 10pm I switched it to HBO just to see if the message would show up and, well, it did. I'm not too annoyed by it. It showed up and stayed at the exact same amount of time as the top banner normally does so as long as it stays like that, then I'm OK with it.

Sent from my iPod touch using SatelliteGuys

jayiw said:
I noticed this yesterday. All the money I pay (Everything, Platinum, etc) I certainly do not need to see these annoying ads spammed on my TV. Christ if they want people to know about dishonline so bad just send a friggen email and/or junk mail. Oh wait they do that anyway. Oh and I also wish they would stop spamming my DVR with their 6 minute ads.
We get what, one DVR ad a week or month? That is hardly "spamming".
I have an idea... take all the money used for that BS that annoys people and use the funds to get the MLB network that would make so many people happy instead.'
Great idea, now Charlie will have $14.50 more to get MLB.

Geesh! Generic Pharmaceutical drug companies said they shouldn't be sued because of negative affects they didn't disclose that their product caused (and won!) and people are rising, ready to revolt against Ergen over a banner (that tells customers about additional content they are already receiving at no extra cost) that disappears when the Channel banner disappears?!

"Alex, I'd like to take 'What is wrong with America' for $400 please."

Well I dropped the Platinum pack and I don't have to see the annoying messages any longer on those channels. After True Blood 's over I will drop the Hbo channels too. I have to admit that they do get annoying hanging up my channels while the channel banner loads and then the channel appears.

We get what, one DVR ad a week or month? That is hardly "spamming".
Great idea, now Charlie will have $14.50 more to get MLB.

Geesh! Generic Pharmaceutical drug companies said they shouldn't be sued because of negative affects they didn't disclose that their product caused (and won!) and people are rising, ready to revolt against Ergen over a banner (that tells customers about additional content they are already receiving at no extra cost) that disappears when the Channel banner disappears?!

"Alex, I'd like to take 'What is wrong with America' for $400 please."

Well, that's a good comparison. Kind of like comparing Cruise Ships to Howler Monkeys.

:rolleyes:

Who was the moron at Dish that decided I wanted pop-up advertisements for another program when I am aready watching what I want to watch!

I wish Dish would completely KILL their stupid pop-up ads!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)