Dish is forcing banner ads on premium channels.

JCarais

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 19, 2009
Earth
I just noticed that when I tune to any of the HBO or Cinemax channels, there's a huge banner across the bottom of the screen that's pushing DishOnline.com. I have the banner set to "Off" in the guide format preferences, but it makes no difference; the banner is still there.

I know some will say, "Hey, it's no big deal, don't you have anything better to worry about, just ignore it," or "If it's such a big deal to you, switch providers." But it's a slippery slope my friends.

I'm sure there's some marketing wiz at Dish that would just love to get ads for all sorts of things in there. If we set banner ads to "off" in the options, we shouldn't be getting any banner ads, even if it is for something that some people might like or find useful.

Cinemax.jpgHBO.jpg

I have mine set for tv enhancements off and banner off and I now see the banner on Hbo and other premium channels. I wonder if subscribing to the Platinum pack of channels has something to do with it?

Yep very annoying,I noticed that many of the dish platinum channels now have the banner.There are many ways dish can advertise dishonline without showing it every time we tune to a channel.

Hi ZachS (and others),

Thanks for the quick replies.

I forgot to mention that I have a 722K receiver (two of them actually, and they both do this now). I have, and have always had, the TV Enhancements turned off. Also, I do not have the Platinum package, I have the "Everything." (which I feel really should include the Platinum channels BTW - Sorry to bombard you ZachS, but why are Platinum channels not included? What makes Epix so different from HBO, Sho, Starz, etc.?) Thanks!

P.S. I think the enhancements are different. The enhancements are when a little button pops up and says: "Press Select now to blah, blah, blah." And then it takes you to another channel or something.

I saw this last night and hit "cancel" thinking it would go away - I thought it was an "interactive" icon. When it didn't, I went to my settings and verified that banner was disabled. I don't have enhancements disabled, because I like to access the local weather - such as it is.

Just as a nitpick, these aren't "ads", they are more like notifications. An ad on HBO would be trying to sell you something. They can be found annoying regardless, but I think the distinction between an "ad" and a "notification" is important.

They can be found annoying regardless, but I think the distinction between an "ad" and a "notification" is important.
I consider both of them a "promotion" of another service (dishonline.com) and it doesn't matter whether or not there is an additional cost.

In the long haul, the marketroids are unwittingly conditioning us to ignore more and more areas of our screens and eventually they will run out of areas that we haven't learned to tune out. You'll know that they've recognized the problem they've created and start using something even more intrusive (i.e. animated pop-ups).

Hi, I have Dish 250 plus Platinum and the "notifications" are on twenty four (24) channels. I find them completely unnecessary as we have been notified of their offerings by mail, emails and commercials over and over................

These are the channels: 293, 294, 295, 296, 298, 361, 364, 366, 368, 369, 371, 373, 374, 375, 378, 379, 380, 381, 383, 385, 386, 388, 389, and 394 (the fishing network???)

This has been discussed for a week or so in the Annoying Epix Message thread. It started on Epix with the latest software updates and just in the past day has started on some of the platinum and premium movies channels. You can not turn this banner off.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

It's been being discussed in the Epix thread but now it's hitting so many channels that as has been said there it is getting really annoying. Before long we may get to see it on all the channels.