Dish Is now showing TBS HD!

tawhite

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Feb 24, 2005
The Sunshine State
I noticed that there is no guide data after the baseball games. It looks as though they will only be showing the baseball games in HD then the channel will be dormant until the next games or actual HD program.

Every new channel has partial quide data until the nightly download. This is normal!

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Bryan, its a temparary place holder for the channel as they took down one of the HD PPV's for this channel. I agree with this move as dish should have launched a few more hdppv's and some more nationals like tbshd and Scifihd instead of 9hd ppvs.

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
I will say the picture quality of the Yankees-Indians game looks far better on my setup than the Angels-Red Sox game on TNT-HD. I wonder why? Something to keep an eye on when the Indians win and Turner switches the Red Sox game over to TBS-HD.

Where are your seats, Scott? I suppose if we see someone bent over their PDA/Phone instead of watching the game, that would be you... Red Sox 2, Angels 0.

Last edited:

JEFFinINDY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 31, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
I will say the picture quality of the Yankees-Indians game looks far better on my setup than the Angels-Red Sox game on TNT-HD. I wonder why? Something to keep an eye on when the Indians win and Turner switches the game over to TBS-HD.

TNT-HD is broadcast in MPEG-2, while TBS-HD is MPEG-4.

Jeff

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
TNT-HD is broadcast in MPEG-2, while TBS-HD is MPEG-4.

Jeff
I'm not sure that's the underlying reason. It looks more like bit starvation on TNT-HD. But then, TNT-HD has always had that problem (remember the early NASCAR races?) Whether it comes from Turner like that or Dish does it encoding for up-link, it looks bad.

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
I'm not sure that's the underlying reason. It looks more like bit starvation on TNT-HD. But then, TNT-HD has always had that problem (remember the early NASCAR races?) Whether it comes from Turner like that or Dish does it encoding for up-link, it looks bad.

TNT-HD always looked sub-par for me on TWC and D* as well, so I don't think it is a DISH issue.

Ted

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
TNT-HD always looked sub-par for me on TWC and D* as well, so I don't think it is a DISH issue.

Ted
Thanks for that feedback. I don't have access to either of those, just Dish.

Now that that Red Sox-Angels game is on TBS-HD, it looks better, but still not as good as the Indians game (even with all the bugs!)

abricko

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 12, 2006
Greater Los Angeles area.
Anyone have resolution / bitrate TP sharing info for this channel... I must say the baseball game looks SHARP... very little artifacts, I can't compare this picture to any other channel and get similar PQ... this is how HD / MPEG4 should look...

The remainder of the channel is Stretched crap... i wonder if they broadcast the office and other newer shows they have in syndication in HD/OAR?

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
Mine's on 61.5?W, TP 22. The technical stuff is for the other guys to post.

I thought I heard Steve Stone's voice! I remember all those Cubs games on WGN with Steve announcing.

Looks like the wheels are coming off the Red Sox, though. I guess Scott is paying attention to the game now!

Last edited:

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
That was Steve Stones voice! :) I remember them tooo! So I just got home and fired up the good ole 622. Tuned into TBSHD and it surprisingly looks good. Thank you dish for adding this channel, Glad to see that you all did the right thing in the end..

wase4711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 22, 2004
Outside Chicago
Anyone have resolution / bitrate TP sharing info for this channel... I must say the baseball game looks SHARP... very little artifacts, I can't compare this picture to any other channel and get similar PQ... this is how HD / MPEG4 should look...

The remainder of the channel is Stretched crap... i wonder if they broadcast the office and other newer shows they have in syndication in HD/OAR?

Compare it to HD News Channel; that's probably the best PQ that Dish has..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)