Dish/LNB Recommendation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BigVideo

Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Wisconsin
Thinking about joining the FTA world. I've successfully installed a few DSS dishes over the years, so I'm somewhat familiar with the process. I understand the FTA signals are more difficult to aim.

Is there much of a performance difference between the various brands of dishes? Is a brand X 30" dish really better than a brand Y 30"? Also, is there much of a performance difference between a 30", 33" and a 36"? Larger is likely better, I understand, but the WAF is inversely proportional to the size of the dish- so I have to take that into consideration as well.

Also, is the Invacom Dual mode LNB worth the additional dollars or just go with a generic linear LNB? Not much to watch on the non-linear side- correct?

Hoping to draw upon your wisdom.

Thanks.

- one lizard's opinion:

- in the Review Department, Iceberg did a review of the FortecStar 36" vs 30, several years ago.
Give that a read, and let it guide you.
I'd say the 36" dishes from any of our three Gold Sponsors were pretty good.
That's Sadoun, SatelliteAV, and WSI (links at the top of each page).
At some point in the future, you'll either want to put up more dishes or motorize your first.
So, choose accordingly. :)

- the dual mode Invacom isn't necessary to get started; and it's costly.
However, it's good hardware, and should give you years of service.
I got an Invacom for my first, but it's the less-fancy SNH-031.
I've used $5, $10, and $20 linear LNBs and found most to be useful.
If you want the popular circular FTA signals, a 20" dish from the trash with circular LNB, pointed at 119°, is sufficient.

Start with a generic 36" dish/LNBF package. You can get a better or bigger one later.

Ku isn't that much harder to aim than DBS IME. You just need a little patience and to know what you are looking for.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts