DISH Makes TV Easy with New Hopper Plus™

Rough install today, but the price of early adoption I guess. Hopper + successfully installed, and looks great. I'll have more observations as I use it, but the apps in one place on one input, with really strong search capabilities is a nice upgrade. Tech came to the house and had no idea what the appointment was for. My son had to handle the appointment with the tech coming a few hours before his scheduled time. He told my son the other Joeys would just update and he didn't need to do anything with them. So I now have an appointment Tuesday to get the Joey 4s to pair as I have a Joey 3 and a wireless Joey that is apparently not compatible.. Was told today when rescheduling that it would be another $50 per upgraded Joey, which was not mentioned on the original call. However, it appears she was looking at my current bill and made that assumption and then realized it was just an additional $12. I'll let you know if it is $50 per new Joey on Tuesday. Just appears that CSRs and techs have not been trained properly on the rollout. If new users are receiving this equipment without an initial charge, they will have a problem with existing customers upgrading.
As much training as Dish has put out to offices about how to install the plus, it's disheartening to hear of a tech that says "the old boxes will just update".

The minute the hopper plus restarts the HDR logo shows up. This thing is sending a constant HDR signal.

For recorded IF my tv is on when joey 4k boot up it switch the tv HDR, but once it done booting up it in SDR mode, only time joey goes in HDR mode is in amazon prime video.

As much training as Dish has put out to offices about how to install the plus, it's disheartening to hear of a tech that says "the old boxes will just update".
Every tech i ever had come most time had wrong info on what was being done, had ZERO notes give to them, i bet my visit tommorow will be chalk full of fun. god help them if tell there is upgrade fees and contract, seeing Head tech operations for main branch told me all fees and contract have been waved. i have direct number to him. and names and id of person from loyalty and there supervisors that said the same thing

I that know to say. Maybe HipKat can help when he sees your post.
I don't know anything about that but I'll post something on the portal. Is it bad to upconvert SDR to HDR? Since I stream everything I'm usually just in SDR mode on my TV but the Nvidia Shield Pro uses AI to convert everything to some form of 4K and it looks good on my old 1080 LG

Every tech i ever had come most time had wrong info on what was being done, had ZERO notes give to them, i bet my visit tommorow will be chalk full of fun. god help them if tell there is upgrade fees and contract, seeing Head tech operations for main branch told me all fees and contract have been waved. i have direct number to him. and names and id of person from loyalty and there supervisors that said the same thing
That's just crazy. I scour the notes, the history of prior tech visits, the subscriptions, equipment, billing, prior sales, everything I can before I knock on the door

I don't know anything about that but I'll post something on the portal. Is it bad to upconvert SDR to HDR? Since I stream everything I'm usually just in SDR mode on my TV but the Nvidia Shield Pro uses AI to convert everything to some form of 4K and it looks good on my old 1080 LG
auto coverting from SDR to HDR can be hit or miss and some tv dont handle HDR like they should. that and picture setting tend to be diffrent on tv in then it is in SDR just like most have setting that input specific. personal I dont like movies video being auto coverted to HDR from SDR and few movies on amazon prime video i watch that HDR i didnt see much diffrence if any, now HDR on game and game that where coverted to HDR from SDR i do see diffrence

That's just crazy. I scour the notes, the history of prior tech visits, the subscriptions, equipment, billing, prior sales, everything I can before I knock on the door
last tech i had out was probably 2 years ago maybe thing changed since the. but all tech i had come since we moved NC have told me they didnt have much any notes and anything said dish on phone note wise they never had access too. which was 6 tech total the last 2 out for was for initial setup for 2 h3 setup, he knew what supposed be doing, tech after said all he was told was there was scrambling, had no other notes. he the one tore down my dish and switch setup tell me it was wrong, just find out was right

Again this just what the told me, will be happy if there is no issue tommorow and they know what supposed be doing and have full access to all notes and what was agrees upon

Yes it's bad when the HDR picture is too dark and it will not let me switch to a picture mode that has been professionally calibrated for my TV and viewing area. The only options I have on 3 TVs in HDR picture modes which is not acceptable.

Tech left at 5:00 both wireless 4K joeys working but hopper plus still trying to download. Called back at 7:00 to check and still stuck in trying to download. Told me to unplug and reset but now just get google logo then black screen

Tech left at 5:00 both wireless 4K joeys working but hopper plus still trying to download. Called back at 7:00 to check and still stuck in trying to download. Told me to unplug and reset but now just get google logo then black screen
My tech actually updated my Hopper 3 with the newest software from a usb thumb drive he had before he did anything else. That update took about 35 minutes.

Reactions: charlesrshell
All I have working right now are my wireless Joey 4’s the main tv with the hopper plus is black screen after multiple resets and the google logo animated image. Waiting game I guess see if it comes out of it in the morning

• Sad
Reactions: charlesrshell
Ok, here's what I have learned so far....

1. Joey 4 will work on a Hopper 3. This configuration still allows the Joey 4 to see the 4K channels 540-1 and 540-2

2. Each unit Hopper + and Joey 4 have Android TV loaded on them.

3. There is a major issue with each unit up-converting every video signal to HDR.

4. Each unit is missing the ability in Dish settings > TV to change the Video Resolution and Aspect Ratio.
2022-09-10 23.19.26.jpg

I am sure there are other bugs but I have been focused on the video signal at the moment.

Last edited:
Ok, here's what I have learned so far....

1. Joey 4 will work on a Hopper 3. This configuration still allows the Joey 4 to see the 4K channels 540-1 and 540-2

2. Each unit Hopper + and Joey 4 have Android TV loaded on them.

3. There is a major issue with each unit up-converting every video signal to HDR.

4. Each unit is missing the ability in Dish settings > TV to change the Video Resolution and Aspect Ratio.
View attachment 158385

I am sure there are other bugs but I have been focused on the video signal at the moment.
ugh auto coverting SDR to HDR cant wait to see that, hopefull with later updates it can either be switched off or just "enabled" when the content is actual encoded to have HDR tags

"...or just "enabled" when the content is actual encoded to have HDR tags"
Which is exactly how it's supposed to work. I can't believe Dish allowed these thing to be released like this. There is no way this is acceptable. I have spent a lot of time calibrating my TVs with proper equipment for my viewing areas and to have the ability to use those Picture modes unavailable is crazy. I was watching football last night on NBC and the HDR up-converted picture looked awful!